HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Lean burn mode activation?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 03:11 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Lean burn mode activation?

yes I have seen it at that. What does that mean? Consistently two bars?

Last edited by HybridGates; 06-27-2016 at 03:15 PM.
Old 06-27-2016, 03:26 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HybridGates
yes I have seen it at that. What does that mean? Consistently two bars?
It's a negative recalibration. The battery senses a subpack is low voltage. It drops SoC to 2 bars at 1 bar per second and force charges killing mileage. When another subpack hits max voltage, it stops charging and marches to 8 bars at 1 bar per second.

When your battery is healthy, you will almost never see 2 bars and almost never see full charge.

You have confirmed that your battery is deteriorated and is not going to allow you to get optimal mileage even if everything else is perfect.

Try to note how often this happens.

Old 07-04-2016, 08:44 PM
Enthusiast

I just went through what you are describing. Did all the things that Keith suggested for testing and diagnosis. He was right. IMA battery was bad and needed replacement.

Old 07-04-2016, 10:22 PM

sorry to hear it. If your pair voltages aren't too far off, you're a good candidate for a grid charger. If they're off, you're likely in need of a new battery.

Old 07-05-2016, 05:41 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by S Keith
sorry to hear it. If your pair voltages aren't too far off, you're a good candidate for a grid charger. If they're off, you're likely in need of a new battery.
This might sound funny, but I will ask any way. If I brake fairly hard, I hear this sort of screech almost and then a sort of bobble after that sort of braking as if something plastic is going into alignment kind of like that sound you hear when shaking a spray paint can, it doesnt happen very often, but enough to cause concern. Does this sound familiar?

Im also going to take it into an alignment in a week because its also driving off to the right side for some reason, though this may be due to a recall regarding the back tires.

I have not had the chance to do the reconditioning kit yet because I was at odds as to how I install it as it didnt come with a manual, and site lacks pictures... I think that will solve the code I cleared and all other issues. Im also looking for people that just service individual cells, instead of replacing the whole thing.

Perhaps there is also a new firmware that will give me better mileage? So far im already at the prius level for mpg, and I'm glad you clarified that as I thought the prius got 50 plus in town with a/c and 100 degree weather. Maybe somehow lean burn mode and get more easily prompted on, though im not sure how.

Im currently looking into technical service bulletins to see if there is maybe any other service I need to do for the car, do I just go to dealer and tell them to fix it?

https://www.automd.com/tsb/honda_m/c...rid_mm/2007_y/

Last edited by HybridGates; 07-05-2016 at 05:52 PM.
Old 07-05-2016, 07:58 PM

This might sound funny, but I will ask any way. If I brake fairly hard, I hear this sort of screech almost and then a sort of bobble after that sort of braking as if something plastic is going into alignment kind of like that sound you hear when shaking a spray paint can, it doesnt happen very often, but enough to cause concern. Does this sound familiar?
I've gotten used to my Prius, which has an array of sounds of its own. I recall some weird "growling" brake noises that sounded like they were more related to the master cylinder (maybe what you describe as a "bobble"), but not like a rattle can. Is it possible you've engaged the ABS at that point?

Im also going to take it into an alignment in a week because its also driving off to the right side for some reason, though this may be due to a recall regarding the back tires.
Not a recall, but there is a TSB concerning replacing a part that can cause uneven wear on the rear tires. I don't remember the issue.

I have not had the chance to do the reconditioning kit yet because I was at odds as to how I install it as it didnt come with a manual, and site lacks pictures... I think that will solve the code I cleared and all other issues. Im also looking for people that just service individual cells, instead of replacing the whole thing.
The Hybrid Automotive website has step-by-step installation instructions for the HCH2 with a picture for every step.

"service individual cells" - you'll never find that. You *MIGHT* find someone willing to deal with the 12-cell subpacks, but I'm going to be completely honest... you'll be chasing it constantly until you replace the pack. Again. I have 8 HCH2 packs, which yielded 2.5 good.

Perhaps there is also a new firmware that will give me better mileage?
No. We've discussed this. There is the patch that manages the battery better (more like the Prius). In some cases, a loss of mileage is registered. However, both my cars had the latest patch, and the 51mpg numbers I mentioned were with the patch and a "meh" pack.

So far im already at the prius level for mpg, and I'm glad you clarified that as I thought the prius got 50 plus in town with a/c and 100 degree weather. Maybe somehow lean burn mode and get more easily prompted on, though im not sure how.
In moderate weather with no A/C, and VERY conservative driving, you'll be able to pull high 40's pretty easy.

Im currently looking into technical service bulletins to see if there is maybe any other service I need to do for the car, do I just go to dealer and tell them to fix it?

https://www.automd.com/tsb/honda_m/c...rid_mm/2007_y/
Click "Check your vehicle" here:

http://owners.honda.com/

Old 07-12-2016, 06:00 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by S Keith

No. We've discussed this. There is the patch that manages the battery better (more like the Prius). In some cases, a loss of mileage is registered. However, both my cars had the latest patch, and the 51mpg numbers I mentioned were with the patch and a "meh" pack.
Well apparently the previous owner got all the recalls out of the way so I should be good on that. Hopefully soon I will get reconditioning out of the way as it is doing what you said, going from two bars to all bars and then back to two bars.... I hope the reconditioning process heals this.

Otherwise I am barely pulling off 35 mpg with modest driving, but that said its been some 85 Degrees F here, and thats with a Meh pack, though oddly I am not getting any codes or an ima light.

I have been trying to figure out what are the best plugs now to put in as you said they are notorious for doing best with oem. But what is oem? Currently there is some ngk laser iridium's in but they have developed a white layer all over and I think I should just replace them. Im not sure whether to use that again, or maybe the "u-groove" from denso which says its oem and claims economy and throttle response, but the denso iridium TT's seem better.

Last edited by HybridGates; 07-12-2016 at 06:46 PM.
Old 07-12-2016, 07:45 PM
Old 07-15-2016, 07:31 PM
Active Enthusiast

ANything else? Timing chain replace/adjust? etc etc.