HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Lack of Assist

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 05:28 PM
Active Enthusiast
Angry Lack of Assist

Lately my car is being very stingy with the amount of Assist it gives when moving from a dead stop. The HCH II behaves a little different everyday, I find, but this is becoming more consistent lately and it's causing my mpg to suffer. I can have 7 bars of battery charge and yet only get 2, maybe 3, Assist bars when accelerating, where I usually get 3-4 bars easy. This is causing me to use more gas when accelerating from a dead stop. I have to really step on it, just to see if I can get more than 3 bars of Assist, which I can. And I get the 4 bars of Assist when I'm coasting in "EV" easily.

Now I know that there are some drivers that wish they didn't have so much Assist when accelerating, but I like it and it allows me to have 60+/-mpgs during my 33 mile commute everyday. Today I really struggled to have 52mpg. I can't figure out why it's behaving this way.

Has anyone else experienced this? I keep reading about software updates and wonder if I need one.

Jess

Old 03-31-2008, 06:53 PM
06 HCH Opal Blue Pearl
Default Re: Lack of Assist

With my 2006 HCH the more "I step on it", the less assist I get. I have much better performance when I start up easy from the lights, both with moderate assist and low rpm. Surprised you get as good as you do with quick starts from the lights. Or am I miss reading something?

Either way, I don't have any issues with assist, after 45K miles.

Bob
Georgetown, TX

Old 03-31-2008, 07:15 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Funny. I get more assist the more I step on it. It is possible that you (Bob) have not gotten your PCM updated recently. Do you get your oil changed at the dealer?

As far as your (Jess) problem goes, I have never experienced this.

Old 03-31-2008, 08:06 PM
Active Enthusiast

Surprised you get as good as you do with quick starts from the lights. Or am I miss reading something?

I have very slow starts...I had to get a tag that says "Slow and Efficient", so people would just pass me instead of hanging behind.

The car is well maintained. I don't think it's anything serious. Sometimes I think it just has a mind of its own.

Tomorrow it may have all the Assist in the world and I"ll pull a 60mpg commute.

Old 03-31-2008, 08:19 PM
Active Enthusiast

No problems with getting the assist to work. I get 3-4 bars by accelerating lightly and almost max bars with a heavy foot. As mentioned before, maybe a PCM update... Heck, I'd be happy to get 52 mpg on a bad day! haha

Peace,
Paul

Old 04-01-2008, 05:29 AM
06 HCH Opal Blue Pearl

[quote=giantquesadilla;166835]Funny. I get more assist the more I step on it. It is possible that you (Bob) have not gotten your PCM updated recently. Do you get your oil changed at the dealer?

Guess I better check closer...I thought that I had much higher RPM from the ICE, and lower levels from the Assist with a heavy foot...maybe I have it wrong. All I know is that I take it slow and easy from the light...and am happy.

Yes, I have been to the dealer, but not aware of any "PCM" updates. Can't say much for the dealer though.

If I would behave myself on the freeway I could probably get 60 mpg...but I love passing those semi's doing 75 MPH. Oh well.

Old 04-01-2008, 04:42 PM
Active Enthusiast

See, now today, it behaved normally and I pulled a 62 mpg commute. Crazy... Next time I go in for an oil change, I'll look into the PCM update.

Old 04-05-2008, 03:49 PM
Enthusiast

If you have a 2006 HCH II the PCM update makes a big difference in the way the Assist works.

Read my post from last summer about my experience after the update. The updated software is standard on the 2007 and beyond. It will be hit or miss whether you dealer even knows about it. Tell him that you want you software updated match the 2007 model year HCHII. There was no charge:

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...st-read-14726/

Old 04-05-2008, 09:27 PM
IMAddicted to IMA

"Essentially the IMA now replicates what we hypermilers call “assist” during acceleration and without going through the 4 steps you normally have to enter the “assist” mode."

What are the four steps to enter "assist" mode?

Old 04-06-2008, 06:45 AM
Active Enthusiast

Anthony, what has your tanks looked like since your PCM update. You mentioned in your post that the first tank with the update was messed up by the service guy. Have you seen an overall improvement?

Quick Reply: Lack of Assist

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands