HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

IPOD dash mounting on HCH-II??

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 10:37 AM
hypermiler wannabe
Default Re: IPOD dash mounting on HCH-II??

FWIW, I've been pleased w/ my Griffin TuneFlex for nearly a year now.
Here's my initial review w/ pics: http://www.davidwells.com/cars/civic_ipod/

Old 06-30-2007, 10:15 AM
Enthusiast

I too want to vouch for the Griffin TuneFlex. It works perfect in my 07 HCH II.

I have mine mounted differently than David. I don't have any pictures, but basically, the TuneFlex is mounted upside down from how David's is so that the iPod is sitting much higher -- near the driver's air vent on the right side. It sits nicely next to the navi screen and I can easily reach the iPod and see the iPod screen.

Old 06-30-2007, 12:03 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CantRememberLogin
I too want to vouch for the Griffin TuneFlex. It works perfect in my 07 HCH II.

I have mine mounted differently than David. I don't have any pictures, but basically, the TuneFlex is mounted upside down from how David's is so that the iPod is sitting much higher -- near the driver's air vent on the right side. It sits nicely next to the navi screen and I can easily reach the iPod and see the iPod screen.
You don't have problems with the weight of the iPod pulling the gooseneck down towards the center armrest? That's my problem when trying it in that position, but perhaps I just adjusted it too much and it's too loose.

I have mine set like David's pretty much, except instead of the gooseneck exiting at the bottom, I have it turned sideways so the gooseneck exits the plug on the left - towards my leg and then turns back towards center. Seems pretty stable, and since I don't seem to have the long legs some people do complaining about the parking brake, it doesnt' get in the way or touch my knee.

Old 07-01-2007, 08:49 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by teiresias
You don't have problems with the weight of the iPod pulling the gooseneck down towards the center armrest?

I haven't had this problem. Although, I have to admit that I've only had the TuneFlex (and the car) for a month. I hope it holds up (literally).

Old 07-25-2007, 10:00 AM
Hybrid-Hugger

In the end, I decided to let it sit in the cup holder. I found myself needing to hold the ipod in my hand to do anything, so I figured having it sit on a dock somewhere on the dash would end up making it harder to use than just just holding it and thumbing through it.
Good responses though.

Old 07-25-2007, 11:07 AM
HOV lane commuter

Alternatively, couldn't it just lie in the small holder between the cup holder in the gearshift? Or do you put your cell phone there?

Old 08-02-2007, 04:15 PM
Pale Driver

Originally Posted by 46jimbo
Have you considered an item like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-F8E467-.../dp/B0000ULJWS

Fits in the cupholder.
Will this fit into the little compartment in front of the gearshift?

Old 08-03-2007, 10:48 AM
HOV lane commuter

<<Will this fit into the little compartment in front of the gearshift?>>

Doesn't look like it, no.

You'd maybe want one with a flex arm - but light weight - that you could hot-glue affix to the top of that compartment, keeping in mind that it slants inward (towards you). I had a gooseneck model that attached to the passenger's seat bolt in my Accord, but there's not enough passenger room (IMO) in the Civic to accomodate that AND a passenger. ;-)

Alternatively, you could hot-glue a small sheet of pleixglass to that panel, and then suction-cup something to that. That definitely would work, it's just a matter of how high and at what angle you'd want your iPod or other items. A portable navigation device would be perfect right there, IMO.

Last edited by JRCaesar; 08-03-2007 at 10:51 AM.
Old 08-03-2007, 10:58 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by teiresias
Actually, that DLO Transpod Direct at the site looks like it would be perfect - assuming it can sit properly when plugged into the power connector. I would prefer the Transpod Direct because it doesn't have a redundant FM tuner I'd never use.

You said you put the deluxe model in the center console, but will it sit correctly at all in the front power connector and still allow room to operate the parking brake and plug in the aux jack?

i use this one. i used to use it in the previous car so the fm tuner was needed. since i listen to books & podcasts the loss of fidelity didn't matter. in the civic i've got it plugged in using the line out. i'm using the power outlet under the a/c & radio. it's outta the way & easy to get to the buttons.

Old 08-03-2007, 03:24 PM
Pale Driver

Originally Posted by JRCaesar
<<Will this fit into the little compartment in front of the gearshift?>>

Doesn't look like it, no.

Alternatively, you could hot-glue a small sheet of pleixglass to that panel, and then suction-cup something to that. That definitely would work, it's just a matter of how high and at what angle you'd want your iPod or other items. A portable navigation device would be perfect right there, IMO.
That's a good idea. If the compartment is deep enough(front-to-back) to fit the suction cup, that would work. This Belkin gizmo appears to have a screw type height adjustment so setting the iPod height/angle at your personal preference seems possible.

Quick Reply: IPOD dash mounting on HCH-II??

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands