HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

IMA Battery - Replaced twice? Thrice?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2018, 01:40 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: IMA Battery - Replaced twice? Thrice?

Originally Posted by KamiAlabama
Well here is another option, possibly. When I first bought my 05 Honda Civic Hybrid in 2017, the only thing I could do to drive the car was jump it off while I waited to see if I was going to buy a new battery. The cost for a new battery was so high and the car was not under warranty anymore. I did some research and I found a grid charger for my particular model of car. I paid about $300 for it and I want you to know that my car has been perfect and a dream come true ever since! I've had no problems with it whatsoever! I just hook it up to the charger - I don't even have to do it once a month but I try to do that just to keep it in top condition and in optimum working order - and my hybrid car is right now! I get great gas mileage, my battery recharges itself just by normal use it shuts off when I come to a stop sign like it is supposed to, and starts back up when I take my foot off the brake. It's awesome and I would not trade it for anything in the world, and I didn't have to buy a new battery costing 3 Grand or more I spent $300 on a grid charger and it has been excellent ever since.
And I have to add that the IMA light went OFF and I have not seen it on since!!! It has power, now there is the normal hybrid delay for this model - it is the first generation you know, but it can pull with amazing torque due to it's electric power. I've even left it parked for 2-3 days and my battery was fine. It decreased it's charge rather quickly, but by the time I got to work it was back at nearly 100 percent! It's definitely an option to consider and one I do not regret!!

Old 12-10-2018, 02:04 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: IMA Battery - Replaced twice? Thrice?

HCH1 is substantially different from the HCH2. There are key differences in their batteries that dramatically affect reliability. HCH1 often responds favorably. The HCH2 does so much less frequently.

I have personally owned 20 IMA packs for the 06-08 HCH, and only one of them could be grid charged reliably. Of the first 15 I owned, it took all 15 of them for me to build three "good" packs (all three required grid charging for reliable function). To put it another way, I needed 15 packs to find 11 good battery modules. Many packs hat ZERO good battery modules. My experience is primarily with Phoenix packs, but six of those were from cooler climates.

While there were many more good "sticks," the fact that they are welded together in pairs means one failed cell takes out two sticks instead of one.

The absolute best thing to do with the HCH2 and their very high rate of battery failures is to avoid them entirely.