HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

"Hypermilein' Star Status.. ..How's It work" ????

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 07:47 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default "Hypermilein' Star Status.. ..How's It work" ????

Hey Gang,

"It's been a spell ....

Much can be said about the "Life in the casual Lane". Now there is a change of pace for this dude, although I do see 70 mph occasionally, lol . It been a blast from day 1 to date getting the "PinBall" to hold it's magic. As 25,000 miles approches I no doubt will wait until that milemarker for a lenghty & sprited reveiw of the "Joy ride to Date". Although I must say @ this point, cruising in Minnesota is a hard knock for climate to maintain some strong "MPG's" while not wanting to proceed down road @ a crawl, lol . Even if it has only been in "10th's per Gal." as spring has sprung into summer, it has been cool to watch the mileage avg. digit-up surely & steadly. Yeah considering the all-of-it-all, I was proud @ "Jan 1 '07 to hold just over 47 mpg." .

https://www.greenhybrid.com/compare/.../car/4072.html

Which brings me to the big question as titled above. Early on during this "Arcade driving Jazz" I found myself flirting with a few "50+ per gal. avg.", but once I read the rules my thoughts were, "Not a chance in Northwoods-Hell" as winter was apporching & I was just begining to understand the dynamics of how to keep "The squrill Cage" a going around down the roadway. Well the long & the short folks is, I nursed ( ok, somewhat slightly ) the last couple hundred miles of my last tankfull to edge past "3,000 miles/51.0+ Avg." for my past 5 fill-ups, hopeing to see ol' "PinBall" highlighted by the "Star of Glory". Darm me anyhow. Such is the whine-n-whimper huh, I'm just asking for some just deserts, lol .

....hope all are Well".

John

p.s. Feels quite swell to pull myself out of lurker-status & chime-in once more. Perhaps more of the same is to be the order. I have enjoyed the reads from time-to-time, and it is vey good to see that many get the same kind of charge as I have gotten out of something as complicated as "Hooking-up a little current to the end of a Crankcase".

Last edited by nitrojohnny; 06-22-2007 at 07:49 PM.
Old 06-22-2007, 08:26 PM
Wo ai Zheng!
Default Re: "Hypermilein' Star Status.. ..How's It work" ????

I believe it's lifetime average greater than EPA estimated, with a minimum of 3000 miles driven.

Old 06-22-2007, 09:17 PM
Energy Independence

Good to hear from you, nitro!

Always good to read a NitroJohnny-rant.

I think it is LIFETIME AVG as well. It IS defined somewhere on this site.
I'll probably never get the golden-star either, and I don't have the super-cold MN weather to blame

Old 06-22-2007, 09:58 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Here is a quote about what gets you a hypermiling star:

Hypermiler! The driver of this car has achieved "hypermiler" status. To qualify, a car must have higher fuel economy than EPA estimates over more than 3,000 miles. The EPA city/highway figures are weighted for each car. If no percentages are specified, 55/45% is default.

Old 06-22-2007, 11:32 PM
Active Enthusiast

So Hey,

Guess this means no Ben & Jerry's to be had, "Not Yet" !!!!

Guess one could say "I'm too much the Simpleton" to understand, lol . Just a thought, but perhaps the mods here should get the "Lifetime Avg." phrase mixed in with the defination, as it kinda makes it sounds like the @ 3g's figure is something to shoot for. Ah well, it's all good. Throwing my own pie-in-face is common entertainment & a daily practice I fair quite well at, lol .

But one thing that should be/need be consider with this "Golden Star" status is the fact the that EPA has now lowered the estimated miles per stuff. I don't know what they are off hand, and we all know these "High-tech Cruisers" can crush what they offer up, but it just seems "Clarification is the order at Hand". As it stands now with the datbase showing 49 mpg. for in town driving it is a "Possibility of reaching Goal" before ol' "Man Winter" jacks @ me once more.

The speeds stays down & the tunes stay loud, "Oh Yeah" !!!!

John

p.s. Steve(gumby) curiousity has @ me bro. Way Cool/Small world. I have caught your tagg-name on another web-site as well. These wouldn't be one of your excuses as well for ringing-out all the pennies one can mustar per miles & gals, lol . "Take Care" my friend.

Old 06-23-2007, 10:57 AM
Energy Independence

Nope, that must be another gumby. I must not own the trademark on "gumby" like I'd asked for
I built tons of models years and years ago (cars, planes, boats, whatever), but not now.
Never been too into the Hot Wheels thing.
Time, where does it all go?

Old 06-23-2007, 02:36 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Cleanmpg has different levels of "hypermilers." It would be a good idea for greenhybrid to do the same once the 08 come out. Perhaps a different colored star could be awarded for different levels of efficiency.

Old 06-25-2007, 12:26 AM
MEAN TO BE GREEN ACTIVIST
Wink Re: "Hypermilein' Star Status.. ..How's It work" ????

nitrojohnny,

Have you considered a block heater? I live in WNY near the PA border. I have found the block heater to really help with the MPG.

Old 06-26-2007, 02:22 AM
Active Enthusiast

Donald,

Yepper bro, the block heater & mud flaps too ....

Seems these puppies are pretty much set-to-the-gils for delivery, so these were the only dealer add-on's I requested, except I did ask, "Does it come in a 2-door" ?, lol. Alas there was disappointment when I heard that answer. Those "Saucer-Discs" spokes I think would command some killer attention spaced in a little closer.

Anyway, I used the wattage to my advantage as much as possible during the winter. This pic was taken a couple days after the strorm that got the flurries surlling for the season. Most impressive of the short amount of time it took the cabin to "Toast-Up", cutting loose the "PinBall's" 3/8" layer of freezing rain that proceeded the snow.

Buuurrrr !!!! This option on those seat cushions would have done no harm, lol . I am hopeing for somewhat better results this upcoming winter. Last yrs. number were part of the "Learning Curve" ( as I like to call it) . Plus the man had me working for quite a spell 25 miles from home. Those several weeks made for mileage havioc, as outside temps remained 0 degrees, plus or minus .

.... should have opted for the "Radiator Cardboard" as well, lol .

John

p.s. What does "OSBM" stand for ????

Last edited by nitrojohnny; 06-26-2007 at 02:26 AM.
Old 06-28-2007, 05:33 PM
Vegetarian

Originally Posted by owlmaster08
Cleanmpg has different levels of "hypermilers." It would be a good idea for greenhybrid to do the same once the 08 come out. Perhaps a different colored star could be awarded for different levels of efficiency.
I like that idea, you should post it in the suggestions section if you haven't already.