HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

The Hybrid is Dead, Long Live the Hybrid!

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2020, 09:41 AM
Enthusiast
Default The Hybrid is Dead, Long Live the Hybrid!

OK, being a little silly, but I sold my 2006 this past weekend ... and replaced it with a 2015 HCH-III. The 2006 had 172,500 miles over nearly 15 years, so we sure got our money's worth. And it still drove beautifully, always starts with a flick of the key and just hums down the road. I wanted to keep it for another year or two but my wife was tired of it and demanded we get something newer.

The best hybrid battery was the last one. First one was replaced under warranty at four years and 61k miles and barely worked at all while we waited for the warning light to finally came on so Honda would do something. The second lasted for 52,475 miles and I stretched that out for many months until the light came on and my vehicle inspection was due. Luckily, the Honda dealer helped me out and I only had to pay $1,000 towards a replacement. That was a pretty good business decision on their part as it saved my positive brand feelings. I might not have owned another Honda if they hadn't helped me out. The third and final one was still working pretty well at 172,500 (58.860) miles, though it would recal pretty regularly with the A/C on. The past couple summers I made a point to leave the car windows open during the day, and I think that may have helped the battery life with our very hot Texas weather.

I ending up selling the car to CARMAX because I couldn't in good conscience sell an HCH-II with an old battery to someone. That may be what happens anyway, but I won't be involved with the new owner. This forum has been a great help and I want to thank everyone who posted here and shared their knowledge and advice over the years.

The 2015 is a nice car, and so far, quite good on gas ... first tank was 47.7 mpg!

Last edited by Tom in Austin; 09-23-2020 at 09:47 AM.