HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Hybrid civic versus vw diesel tdi 2009 and New Hybrid Honda Insight

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 10:20 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Hybrid civic versus vw diesel tdi 2009 and New Hybrid Honda Insight

It's urea based. You may be able to pee in it.

nf

Old 11-06-2008, 12:17 PM
Interested Observer

Oh My! So much misinformation running amuck here on the 2009 Jetta TDI.

But, before I reply, in the interest of full disclosure - I am a diesel enthusiast, and I drive a 2006 VW Jetta TDI (i.e., the version before the new clean diesel version). However, unlike many diesel enthusiasts, I have nothing against gas-electric hybrids and think they are great automobiles. I believe hybrids and diesels both have their place in moving our transportation system towards greater efficiency.

So, first correction. zo6 2 hch - The new Clean Diesels do not "burn dirty." Both the Mercedes BlueTec diesel engines (like in the ML 320 CDI Bluetec) and the new 2009 Jetta TDI engines meet Tier II Bin 5 emission standards - that's the SAME EMISSION STANDARD IMPOSED ON GASSERS!!!!! In other words, these cars are 50-state compliant with current gasoline engine emission standards. And, if you go to the CARB (that's the California Air Resources Board) website, you can pull the emission testing results for the 2009 VW Jetta TDI and compare it to the emission testing for the Toyota Prius and you will see that the VW diesel actually emits LESS of most pollutants than the Prius (yes, that is LESS). As a selling tactic, VW dealers love to put a white cloth over the tailpipe of the new Jetta clean diesel and rev the engine. The new exhaust system is so good at controlling emissions that there is no soot cloud or even soot particles caught on the white cloth.

Second correction. Harold & noflash - unlike the Mercedes clean-diesel technology, the new VW Jetta clean diesel DOES NOT use a urea-based additive. VW's emission control system controls nitrogen emissions through a catalyst-based system that doesn't require any additives. So, the cost of any "blue stuff" is irrelevant to the VW Jetta diesel.

Third correction. mmrmnhrm & Per K - I'm assuming you guys are talking about picking up used cooking oil and making your own biodiesel. However, you aren't supposed to use anything greater than 5% biodiesel in the new 2009 VW Jetta TDI cleandiesel. The new emission system has a diesel particulate filter (DPF) that has to go through a periodic regeneration cycle where the accumulated soot captured by the DPF is burned off. This regen cycle involves the injection of extra diesel fuel into the cylinder after combustion is complete but before exhaust gases are exspelled throught the exhaust valve. The fuel then travels to a catalyst in the exhaust system that causes the fuel to burn, and the super-hot exhaust then burns the soot off the DPF. Supposedly (and there are some out there testing this by running 100% biodiesel in their 2009s), if a high ratio of biodiesel is in the fuel and this is injected into the cylinder during a regen cycle, the biodiesel's higher viscosity causes it not to atomize as well as dino-diesel and it "sticks" to the cylinder walls, slipping past the rings and ending up in your engine oil pan, where it dilutes the engine oil and affects lubricating ability. VW claims this problem occurs with biodiesel fuel ratios higher than 5%, so if this is true, then the cost savings of making your own biodiesel may not be realizable with the new clean diesel technology.

Now, thank you for listening to my corrections and I'm prepared to be flamed (but, honestly, I wasn't intending to attack anyone, just wanted to correct some misinformation).

Old 11-06-2008, 12:37 PM

I still say you can pee in the VW.

Old 11-06-2008, 01:19 PM

Thanks for the clarification. Chip

Old 11-06-2008, 01:44 PM
Interested Observer

You could pee in the VW, but it would probably smell.

Old 11-06-2008, 09:07 PM
Energy Independence

noflash, I hope you're carrying your empty Coke bottle with you. Heck, you could even pee in your Civics, then

Old 11-07-2008, 07:37 AM

Old 11-07-2008, 04:41 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Let's do some comparing then, shall we? Without the new Insight, I drew up this compare at fueleconomy.gov, using the HCH-II, Jetta TDI Auto, and Jetta TDI Manual, all 2009 models. Open the attached image. To summarize, the Civic gets 42 MPG combined, while the Jetta TDI gets 33-34 MPG.

Attached Thumbnails Hybrid civic versus vw diesel tdi 2009 and New Hybrid Honda Insight-compare.jpg  
Old 11-07-2008, 08:11 PM

What is the Canadain price for these three cars in your comparison, Spinner? Do you know. H

Old 11-07-2008, 09:42 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Why Canadian MSRPs?

$26,350 for the HCH-II, and $25,675 and $24,275 for the veedubs, respectively.

Quick Reply: Hybrid civic versus vw diesel tdi 2009 and New Hybrid Honda Insight

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands