HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

How much worse is your FE with the AC on?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 01:34 PM
HypoFueler
Default Re: How much worse is your FE with the AC on?

Originally Posted by AccElan01
Incorrect. This was studied and disproven on Mythbusters. They took 2 identical vehicles, ran one with all windows completely down and one with the air conditioning on medium. Both vehicles contained the same exact amount of gas and were ran at the same speeds, during the same time and same conditions, on a track. The vehicle running the air conditioning ran out of gas many laps before the vehicle with the windows down. I wish the opposite were true because I'd rather use the air conditioning since I have allergies.
Actually, AC can impact FE more or less than driving with cracked/open windows. It depends on how much AC, how much open windows and how fast you are driving. Let me know when you run this study - I may do it when it gets into the 80s in Ohio.

Peace.

Old 05-19-2008, 01:39 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by honduhlife
Roll down just the back windows and ride then. Listen to the turbulence. That is effecting your fuel mileage. Physics 101. Plus, even though I am a tightwad on gas, I wouldn't ride without the a/c in the heat. Friends will think you cut back on buying soap also.
Absolutely! My point though is that at city speeds, this doesn't cause as much drag as the AC does. I have no idea how much of an impact opening the windows DOES have though since my mileage is stratospheric in the summer, even with the windows down (and I'm not willing to try driving with the windows up).

Luckily, I only NEED AC about 1 week of the year since our environment is so dry so I can get away with out it (although I still need soap....).

Old 05-19-2008, 03:01 PM
Eco Accelerometrist

Originally Posted by Harold
I run on Auto at 80 when it hits 100 and above. My FE is still over 50mpg. I'm happy and I think the pack is too? H

Actually folks, Harold has a very good point here, one that I should emphasize more often. (Thanks Harold).

The IPU derives its effective cooling from the passenger cabin and it is in out best interest to give it some thermal advantage in doing its job particularly during the warmer days. The effects of a hot pack, MCM and to a lesser extent, the DC-DC can be felt in ways that totally dwarf the negatives of operating the AC. Those of you you have driven your HCH-II through a couple of summers know this quite well.

When it comes right down to it, it pays in more ways than one to do things wisely and with forethought.
So, using the AC moderately actually does some good. Using it strategically and wisely is even better not only for the components I referenced but also for yourself and your FE.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 05-21-2008, 07:23 PM
Enthusiast

That mythbuster test was done at 45 mph if you check the tape. Windows down is better at speeds up to about 55-60mph. If your cruising down the Interstate at 75mph, it will be better to use a/c if you have to than rolling down the windows going that speed.

Old 05-22-2008, 02:34 AM
HypoFueler

Originally Posted by rogell24
That mythbuster test was done at 45 miles per hour if you check the tape. Windows down is better at speeds up to about 55-60mph. If your cruising down the Interstate at 75mph, it will be better to use a/c if you have to than rolling down the windows going that speed.
No offense to mythbusters, but I would test it out on my own HCH2. Probably wont do the 75mph test though, I seldom break 60mph

Old 05-25-2008, 03:29 PM
USAF Retired

Since we got the hot weather, our mileage has droppped about 10 MPG. However, we refuse to sacrifice comfort for mileage!

Old 05-25-2008, 05:53 PM
Insipid Enthusiast

Another factor, as some have touched on, should be on how cool you want it. If you set our AC at 60 then the compressor will run almost continuously, if you set it at say 75 it should cycle on and off to maintain the temp. I would even go further and cycle it up and down as my personal comfort increased or decreased. It's just another thing to be hyper aware of as you hypermilers go about your driving. It works for me.

Old 06-14-2008, 09:44 AM
Great Mileage and Green

I usually keep my A/C at 70 and AUTO, when I use it. I found that with the tinted windows and a heatshield visor (when the vehicle is parked) that unless the temps get into the 80s, I'm fine with the windows up and no A/C. My mileage seems negligibly impacted by the use of the A/C, perhaps 2-3 MPG. Comfort is certainly worth that price, especially since MPG is in the mid 50s.

Old 06-15-2008, 04:44 PM
Active Enthusiast

194 mile round trip today, at 90deg F, avg speed 69 mph with 3 passengers, trunk full and A/C set at 76 AUTO gave me 50.2 mpg.

Old 06-15-2008, 05:08 PM
Active Enthusiast

When my wife and kids are in the car, I have to use the A/C. I keep it at 75 and shut it off whenever I'm going up hill. It takes more effort, but I can nearly get 60 mpgs.

When I'm alone, I crack the driver's window and the rear passenger's window about 2 inches. I can easily get high 60's, low 70's in mpgs and still feel comfortable with that set up.

Quick Reply: How much worse is your FE with the AC on?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands