HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

How hard do you have to work to get the good FE?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 10:18 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: How hard do you have to work to get the good FE?

Originally Posted by trip221
I'm in north Orange county, so pretty flat. The commute is half side streets, half 405.

I set the cruise control at 65 miles per hour in the carpool lane this morning and the mpg gauge was reading about 50mpg. I was thinking it should be higher to compensate for the worse mpg you get when starting/stopping/accelerating?

I know a per-tank average of 44mpg is pretty good, but I want to hit the 50mpg mark!
I do pretty flat driving and my best tanks have been at 44 and change. I don't know how anyone gets any more unless their entire tanks are on downhill slopes

Old 01-28-2008, 04:36 AM

Managed to get 48.8 MPG. I live in Singapore. Approx 80 deg F all year round. Tires 42 PSI. 5W - 30 Mobil 1 Can't find 0W - 20 in Singapore. My 4th tank. 60% City / 40% Hwy. Approx. 50 mph on Hwy. Hoping to get higher MPG when engine fully run in. Quite happy with the numbers as I am getting above the EPA rated 40/45 MPG.

Old 01-28-2008, 04:47 AM

http://www.cleanmpg.com/garage/images/861.png

Old 01-28-2008, 09:52 AM
Active Enthusiast

I have a roof rack, don't over-inflate my tires, keep the a/c set to Auto and will get around 42-43 mpg for my daily work commute. So, I don't try too hard.

Old 01-31-2008, 09:39 PM
USAF Retired

We just filled up for the fifth time, and got just over 50 MPG. With the strong winds today, our mileage dipped down to 46, but on the way home tonight, I got it back up to 48 for the tank. If you are not getting at least 45 MPG, you can't be trying to get good mileage at all!

Old 02-01-2008, 07:35 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Per K
If you are not getting at least 45 MPG, you can't be trying to get good mileage at all!
Not necessarily. There are many factors that drivers cannot control, just to name a few:
1. Temperature- decrease in temp= decrease in FE
2. Terrain- It is much easier to get higher MPG on flat terrain
3. Length of Commute- For the most part, longer commute= higher MPG, but more gas used
4. Highway/City Driving ratio- Self-explanatory
5. Type of fuel- Some have no choice but to purchase E10, or a winter blend resulting in decreased FE
6. Having a garage to park in at night- starting warm will show a significant increase in MPG
7. Amount of traffic on road- also self-explanatory

Old 02-02-2008, 05:06 AM
HypoFueler

Originally Posted by Per K
If you are not getting at least 45 MPG, you can't be trying to get good mileage at all!
Per -

I am trying about as hard as the middle of the summer, but winter effects up here drop my tank averages from north of 60 to about 45mpg.

Buying a fuel efficient vehicle is a great start for everyone...

Old 02-02-2008, 06:54 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by trip221
I've read all the tips and tricks I could find on the web, so I'm hoping that you guys can help me out here? A lot of people post about how easy it is to get FE in the high 40's to 50mpg, but it seems tough to me.
People get excited by good results and want to share their excitement. It becomes a boast when it's called easy -- more likely it was a coincidence. Have you seen the one or more topics that come up when someone confesses to not wanting to drive their hybrid under passenger load just so they won't affect their overall mileage? Do you ever wonder if some are cherry picking their results so that they can rank a little higher in the charts? I've learned from the past that there are factors affecting my mileage that are outside of my control, so there is nothing left to do but to accept it.

Don't cut yourself short. You are getting good mileage. We are all getting good mileage. The Honda Civic Hybrid gives everyone good mileage under all circumstances.

Old 02-02-2008, 09:41 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by spinner
Don't cut yourself short. You are getting good mileage. We are all getting good mileage. The Honda Civic Hybrid gives everyone good mileage under all circumstances.

Agreed. Since I've owner her I've gotten only 41mpg out of her according to the lifetime trip counter. Now when I say only, that is still fantastic.

Even at that level, the hybrid option is still going to pay for itself very quickly.

And now that I got my W2s and am calculating my tax refund along with that $2100 incentive, its easily one of the best investments I've ever made.

Old 02-02-2008, 03:31 PM
Hybrid Owner

I just did my first fillup in the 08 Civic. 303 miles on 6.5 gallons = 46.6 mpg

That's a 50/50 mix of urban/suburban driving, with the tires inflated to 35 psi

I'm very pleased

Quick Reply: How hard do you have to work to get the good FE?

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands