HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

How can recharge occur going uphill w/6 bars?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 11:02 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Arrow How can recharge occur going uphill w/6 bars?

It makes no sense. My battery SOC was high – at 6 bars – and I was going uphill on a continuous grade at about 35+ MPH. I looked at my battery gauge expecting to see substantial battery assist, but was surprised and perplexed to notice that just the opposite was happening: I was charging the batteries while accelerating uphill. I rechecked my gauge, in disbelief. The SOC was about 2/3 full – I recounted the 6 bars to see if I was having a forced regen. The charging fluctuated slightly but continued to charge the batteries all the way to the crest of the hill and beyond. Can anyone tell me why/how I could get battery charging to occur in a non-forced regen mode while going uphill? Thanks!

Old 04-26-2009, 04:45 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: How can recharge occur going uphill w/6 bars?

its called hidden regen. info here + here

ks

Old 04-26-2009, 08:56 AM

Yes this will happen when not pushing hard or in 2nd. and not over working the ICE. I do this all the time when no traffic behind. Its not so much hidden as you can see the regen bars.

Old 04-26-2009, 10:21 AM
Arrow Re: How can recharge occur going uphill w/6 bars?

Thanks, guys. Now I am older and momentarily wiser!

Old 04-26-2009, 07:46 PM
Think green.

I've noticed that phenomenon on a certain street near my home. It's a curvy road, with a slight uphill incline, with about a 30-35 mph speed limit. Every time I travel up that street I notice that the mpgs are pegged at 120 and the battery is recharging.

Old 04-27-2009, 07:39 AM

Must be down hill and or Mon.and really early? <grin>Are you sure they are grn. bars? If going up hill with some throttle you should not show mpg pegged? But then stranger things have happened! Hal

Old 04-27-2009, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by Harold
Must be down hill and or Mon.and really early? <grin>Are you sure they are grn. bars? If going up hill with some throttle you should not show mpg pegged? But then stranger things have happened! Hal
Funny, Harold. Yes, I am sure they are GREEN bars. Yesterday on the same road I had the same experience. Same SoC, same speed. The incline of the street is probably near 10 percent – fairly steep. Traveling at about 35 MPH, I had GREEN bars for the duration of the hill – about two blocks. Let's just say my HCHII is... gifted, I guess.

Old 04-27-2009, 09:46 AM

Its OK to have regen going up hill with low throttle setting, but to show the mpg gauge pegged? I don't think so! It would have to be in EV mode to show this, and I suppose that is possible for a short distance up the hill!, but not all the way up the hill.Hal

Old 04-27-2009, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Harold
Its OK to have regen going up hill with low throttle setting, but to show the mpg gauge pegged? I don't think so! It would have to be in EV mode to show this, and I suppose that is possible for a short distance up the hill!, but not all the way up the hill.Hal
No, the MPG gauge was not pegged – not even close (unfortunately).

Old 04-27-2009, 01:50 PM

I was referring to Gairwyn's post where he said his mpg was pegged at 120. Hal

Quick Reply: How can recharge occur going uphill w/6 bars?

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands