HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

HIR bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 05:01 AM
Enthusiast
Default HIR bulbs

I was wondering does anyone have any experience with the Toshiba HIR-2 9012 headlight bulbs? I picked up a pair this week and was going to install them. I have seen the HID upgrades on this post and they are done very nicely, but for myself I was looking for a easier upgrade that would increase my nighttime illumination for safety.

Here is the web sight for the HIR bulbs http://hirheadlights.com/
Although I picked mine up at the John Deere store.

Old 01-12-2008, 04:44 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: HIR bulbs

I put them in my wife's Accord last October. Nice light, quite a bit better than stock. Don't expect white light, but do expect more - and you'll be happy!

Old 01-12-2008, 11:23 PM
Wo ai Zheng!

Did you do both low and high beams, or just the lows? I figure as long as I'm tearing apart half the bloody engine compartment to get at these things, I might as well do them both if it's worth it. Also, what's the suggested method for wiping the bulbs down prior to installation? Alcohol and a paper/terry/microfiber towel? Nothing? Something else?

Old 01-13-2008, 05:14 AM
Active Enthusiast

I only did the low beams. Easy on an Accord. I never touch the glass - so no need to wipe them down.
I've no problem with the very rare times I use high beam, so I've never replaced them on any car I've owned.
Not to start a riot, but I've read that altering the tabs on the high beam bulbs will allow them to fit in low beam position. I've also read that doing so will equal the HIR's. I intend to try this with the HCH in a few months. I've not had my HCH long enuff to see if I truly NEED to replace the low beam bulbs...

Old 01-13-2008, 06:04 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks GardenWeasel!
I put them in yesterday (low beams only) and there is a vast improvement to on ground lighting. The color seems to be the same as a regular halogen but I only wanted to see better at night and color wasn't a concern for me.
I think it took me longer to modify the bulb than install it. Its is only difficult to change the passenger side (through wheel fender). The high beams are easy to get to anytime through the engine bay. As for the bulbs I didn't touch them. I usually wear disposable gloves when I change bulbs (only touch the cuff end of the glove before putting them on(also powder-free is probably better)), so if I do touch them there shouldn't be any oil on the bulbs.
The only unusal thing I saw was that the high-beam bulbs have a burnt orange residue on them (lower part of the glass front and back). The filiment looks great. Must be from the DRL running low wattage. Only problem is you can see the ugly orange residue through the plastic housing. Was going to change them but it will probably happen again. Has anyone else seen the burnt looking orange-yellow residue on their high beam bulbs?

Old 01-13-2008, 06:15 AM
Active Enthusiast

Congrats! Also glad to hear they are easy to reach to change. I know what 'cha mean about the time it takes to modify...and I was using a dremel!
I've not noticed orange residue - but I've not looked for it either (yet). Probably a good guess about DRL low wattage stuff. Think I'll leave my high beam bulbs alone.

Old 01-13-2008, 11:02 AM
Wo ai Zheng!

Think I'm sold... even an extra half second to spot some of these frackin' deer would be nice. Also tossed the guy at hirheadlights a question asking if they've got any data on life-span using the 9011's as low-power DRL's.

Old 01-13-2008, 12:02 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Are you doing this to save on SOC? If so you may want to look into LED's. H

Old 01-13-2008, 02:04 PM
Wo ai Zheng!

Originally Posted by Harold
Are you doing this to save on SOC? If so you may want to look into LED's. H
No. Trying to save SOC would entail swapping things like the dome, brake, and parking lights (other threads here cover that already). What we're on about are the headlights themselves, as in "The OEM bulbs sucketh for driving at night, let's find something better."

Old 01-13-2008, 02:53 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

OK thanks, but I find the stock light to be good! H