Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 01:01 PM
Enthusiast
Default Help...Water in trunk after rainstorm

Hey Guys

After a good rain the spare tire area of my 2007 hchII gets a lot of water
in the bottom...getting to be a pain to dry it out. Any ideas were the water
could be entering from..The carpet is always dry. I do not want to have to
sleep in the trunk while it is raining to see were it is coming from. Should I just drill a hole in the bottom?

Any help or ideas?

Thanks

Old 07-11-2011, 11:25 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Arrow Re: Help...Water in trunk after rainstorm

Never heard of that one. It's a far-fetched idea, but here's how to find your answer: Get the help of a friend... you get into the trunk (minus spare tire, etc.) with a flashlight... then close the trunk, and have him douse the car with a garden hose. While inside, just follow the water to its point of entry. Your trunk has an emergency release, so you won't get trapped inside in case your friend proves untrustworthy! (Keep your mobile phone with you, just in case. Hehe. And make sure it's charged and you have a snack handy.)

Old 07-12-2011, 02:24 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Help...Water in trunk after rainstorm

Originally Posted by stevenvillatoro
Never heard of that one. It's a far-fetched idea, but here's how to find your answer: Get the help of a friend... you get into the trunk (minus spare tire, etc.) with a flashlight... then close the trunk, and have him douse the car with a garden hose. While inside, just follow the water to its point of entry. Your trunk has an emergency release, so you won't get trapped inside in case your friend proves untrustworthy! (Keep your mobile phone with you, just in case. Hehe. And make sure it's charged and you have a snack handy.)
LOL!

Oh, I don't mean to laugh at your problem, OP Hope you find the source soon.

Another idea you could try is to turn the garage [assuming you have one] lights off, and shine a flash light from under the car to see if you get any light passing through ... perhaps the drain holes are actually water back in? --ag

Old 07-13-2011, 05:42 AM
Active Enthusiast

I've the same problem with my 07 civic. It usually drains out / evaporates after while so I haven't paid it much attention. It accumulates in the metal spare tire area, there isn't any rust so I'm assuming it's "normal".

My issues remaining since I've purchased the car new, abnormal tire wear still!! and now trunk rust due to the spoiler...which we had "repaired" by the dealer a while back.

Attached Thumbnails Help...Water in trunk after rainstorm-trunk.jpg  

Last edited by Ontario07Civic; 07-13-2011 at 06:01 AM.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:12 AM
Enthusiast

Hey

Thanks for the info...I wish I had a garage, then my battery would not get so hot and act up on me. I took a good look at the area where the taillights meet the body under the trunk lid. On both sides the lights do not fit tightly, so maybe the water is getting in from between the light housing and the body? I will get some chalk and fill in the gap, and see what happens. I can get so much water in the spare tire area, that during the summer the car is like a sauna.

Old 08-29-2011, 07:21 AM
Enthusiast

update

After the Hurricane this weekend the trunk was full of water...over the top of the spare tire. This time I could see a water mark on the lower left side of the trunk seal... I add some weatherstripping to that area. I also drilled 3 holes in the bottom of the trunk. With a hose I flooded the closed trunk with water for many minutes, and got no water in the trunk. So may be I found where the water was coming in, or water is coming from some where completely different. However with the new holes in the trunk, at least the water will not build up.

Brian