HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

HCHII hail resistance

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 12:26 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default HCHII hail resistance

I had the displeasure of being caught outside in a hail storm a couple days ago, and I wanted to report to everyone how the HCHII held up. Long story short, no hail damage!

Hail was mostly pea-sized, ranging up to about the size of a dime. I couldn't pull over right away, so I was driving through this hail at about 45mph for about a minute. I've checked the body and found no hail damage. I was pretty surprised actually, since I expected to see some small dents when I was hit by the larger pieces of hail.

So, if your HCHII comes in contact with hail, it seems resistant to damage as long as it's fairly small.

Old 06-05-2008, 01:36 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: HCHII hail resistance

OK, it's time to find some wood and knock on it (hard). Don't tempt fate--thunderstorm season is just beginning!

Old 06-05-2008, 01:39 PM
Active Enthusiast

The idea behind my post was to attempt to ease some nerves since hail season is upon us! In my experience there is no reason to worry if dime-size or less hail is falling on your car, even if driving 45mph.

Old 06-05-2008, 01:51 PM
Eco Accelerometrist

Originally Posted by pagemap
The idea behind my post was to attempt to ease some nerves since hail season is upon us! In my experience there is no reason to worry if dime-size or less hail is falling on your car, even if driving 45mph.
I believe we've had GH members (at least JavaJ from Alberta?) sustain pretty nasty hail damage in past years already.

This is definitely nothing to look forward to.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 06-06-2008, 11:48 AM
Active Enthusiast

I've had hail damage about 2-3 months after i first got it. Very small tiny dents can be seen on the roof of the car. Only noticeable when your really close to it.

Old 06-06-2008, 12:27 PM
my other car is a FJORD

hey, brian. i am in st. cloud, and we have had some dandy hail storms lately. my car has been outside in all of them, and i see no damage on it at all. with the length of the storm and the power of the wind, i was pleasantly surprised when it stopped.