HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

HCH II speed

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 04:40 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: HCH II speed

many vehicle speedometers mechanically tie into the transmission, i know my old hondas did. Not sure about new cars, but most cars on the road are old.

I kind of doubt there is any estimation in the speedometer, i am guessing it is a pretty reliably accurate device.

Old 11-09-2006, 06:38 PM
Enthusiast

Absolutely Correct. 112 mph is when the rev limiter kick in. Done it a few times in fact.

Old 11-09-2006, 07:24 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bablateration
Absolutely Correct. 112 mph is when the rev limiter kick in. Done it a few times in fact.
So the car is at redline at this point? Not good on the motor at all. I would think at that speed it would be speed governed, not rev limited (timing retarded about 10deg to prevent advancing RPMs).

Old 11-10-2006, 06:25 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Adjat84th
So the car is at redline at this point? Not good on the motor at all. I would think at that speed it would be speed governed, not rev limited (timing retarded about 10deg to prevent advancing RPMs).
Actually you are correct. It is speed governed. Sorry to confuse you

Old 11-10-2006, 02:05 PM
Active Enthusiast

I've cross 100 mph almost daily when my commute was over 85 miles each way.

Old 11-11-2006, 01:40 AM
Active Enthusiast

112 mph (185 kph) is no problems for these small I4's Overhere in europe we have a lot of small gti's with an 1.3 or 1.6 engine pushing the 200 kph mark or sligthly above.

I assume the HCH is limited because of the CVT or Electric engine. I'll have to find out for sure. If it's only for "safety" reasons i'll look into getting rid of the limeter.
(i know a few computerwhizzez who prep honda integra's for the E and WTCC (European and World Touring Car Championship)

I find it a lot safer not to be limited!

p.s. a rev limiter hardly ever engages in top gear because drag and windresistance will prevent the car from revving to high. Perhaps on a verry long downhill road.

Last edited by BlueVFRank; 11-11-2006 at 01:42 AM.
Old 11-11-2006, 05:48 AM
Active Enthusiast

George ( gchu ),

Curiosity has ....

Taking it out on the limb here in assuming you live in some wide open spaces. That, or your one lucky dude that the highway bulls weren't around the next cruve in the road. How many of those 85 miles did you push the foot fed past 100 mph, and what were getting for mpg ????

Quite the buzz ( in a sense ) to pull off those kind of speeds, and still hold a strong mileage datebase avg.. A number many strive for. The job strech was short lived, and/or is there something keen to your methods bro ????

.... me going.

John

Old 11-18-2006, 09:15 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nitrojohnny
George ( gchu ),

Curiosity has ....

Taking it out on the limb here in assuming you live in some wide open spaces. That, or your one lucky dude that the highway bulls weren't around the next cruve in the road. How many of those 85 miles did you push the foot fed past 100 mph, and what were getting for mpg ????

Quite the buzz ( in a sense ) to pull off those kind of speeds, and still hold a strong mileage datebase avg.. A number many strive for. The job strech was short lived, and/or is there something keen to your methods bro ????

.... me going.

John
With a commute of 85 miles each way - 50 of which was highway (speed limit ranging between 55 and 70), the rest local (speed limit in the 25 to 45 range) - you really get to learn the terrain and routes.

I did the commute for about 6 months, 4 of which was with my HCH II - prior to that I was alternating between my explorer and my Titan (which is what I traded in on my HCH II). Now that I'm back to under 6 miles each way, I'm back to a Titan (traded in the HCH II).

Anyway, I got to learn where everything was at, as well as where there are stretches of road where there it is physically impossible for there to be a cop hiding. Figured it out when I was cruising at 80 - 85 mph and people were blowing by me like I was parked. It was only for under a 5 mile stretch and it was a very steep grade going down hill. So steep in fact, that I altered my route going to work since I was losing a 2-5 mpg (depending on where I was at in my tank) on my average when I went that route. But when I was going 80-85 mph, I was between 1/2 to 2/3 on the fuel economy scale. At over 100 mph, depending on the size of vehicle that was in front of me, I was close to maxing it out, but at least 3/4.

I've found the trick keeping the fuel economy up was to know the routes, so you know where you can use speed without hitting your mpg that badly. Also, in the city route, I very rarely use the brakes - especially in the morning as I would leave my house at 4:30 AM.

I was worried at first that I would have to drive slow to get decent MPG when I first got my HCH II. I was happy with my first tank, about 41 mpg, if memory serves correctly - a big improvement from 18 mpg with my Explorer and 15 mpg with my Titan. Then I was driving around 70 - 75 (75 max), thinking that was the way to maximize fuel economy. But a benefit of driving that far (over 170 miles/day) and being in the car for that long (3+ hours - the 50 mile highway portion of my trip would take less time than my 25 mile city portion of my trip), is that you get a lot of time to think and analyze different things. Since I was going through a tank every 4 days, I can collect a lot of data very quickly (I'm a certified Six Sigma Black Belt).

So to summarize it, you can drive quickly and get decent gas mileage, provided you spend time analyzing your routes. Good luck!

Old 11-19-2006, 09:00 PM
Active Enthusiast

George,

With you on your quote:

So to summarize it, you can drive quickly and get decent gas mileage, provided you spend time analyzing your routes.

I am not saying it can't, or shouldn't be done, and perhaps I will tone back as time passes. But in the meantime now that I can pull 50's + per, and still keep my usuall pace then all the better.

As you said, knowing the terrain does make a difference, because it did nothing but help once I began seeing where the plays with the graphs could be made.

Check out my thread further down. Pretty much my daily deal you went through, but with a few less miles driven . Unfornately I won't have your luck to get work closer home, so here's mine quibbs to quote:

"Just diggin-on what this car Offers".

John