HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

HCH II Owner gets Prius for 400 miles...

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 09:03 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: HCH II Owner gets Prius for 400 miles...

About that rear window visibility.
You said it was bad but you got used to it.
I don't understand.

You got used to it being bad?

I can't believe they put that stupid air dam right where you need to see.

Old 10-11-2007, 04:43 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kenny
You got used to it being bad?
LOL. That he did.

Old 10-11-2007, 08:46 PM
Enthusiast

Folks,

Just to respond to many posts (trying not to be biased at all -- it's a great car):

1) Fuel being full from the rental agency -- we went just over 90 miles before the first segment of the gauge shut down -- so it was pretty full (I think).

2) Regarding acceleration -- much more sluggish unless you push down the accelarator more -- but I think that is because it starts with only electric first. The HCH seems peppier. But when you floor the Prius -- it get's going pretty well.

3) The back view is weird but you get used to it. It's not great, but not that bad. At first it seems bad.

4) I was basically shocked by the difference in the Prius computer vs. actual. The HCH always does a little better, the Prius was a lot worse.

Still a great car. All HCH Hybrid enthusiasts should rent one of they can. It's a fun comparison.

Dobe

Old 10-11-2007, 10:53 PM

Funny to happen accross your post at this moment, I just drove just under 1,000 miles in a Prius for work.....this trip involved driving from Spokane Wa. to Pasco Wa. then Pacso to Vancouver Wa. Via Portland Or...40% uphill, 60% downhill all on the freeway with a total of 3 adults in the car + luggage....I got 49.1 mpg, gassed up in Vancouver, drove to Seattle (mostly flat) & around Seattles hilly streets, avg 55mpg, then Seattle to Spokane over the Cascade range sea level to I think around 3000 feet & back down (got down to 24mpg onthe way up) then through the Columbia river gourge. my trip total for that leg was 44mpg. The car had 30,000 miles on it when I got home. I did go 70+ most of the trip (remember I had passengers to be accountable to)

I did like the Prius, just not as much as my HCH. The people in the car were inpressed by big bars in the center pod and by the overall gas mileage...I think the car was a 2005 vs. my HCH being a 2007.
some of my prius dislikes were.
1. seats not as comfortable.
2. no Lumbar.
3. less headroom.
4. I did not care for the dash board, specifically the information display, I did not like changing screens for radio, a/c, mileage and power flow.
5. The HCH is more like a regular car, it has a simple to read power flow & battery charge as well as a simple instant mileage display.
6. no tach.
7. less legroom.
8. the transmission selector & the reverse beeper.

What I liked about the Prius:
1. MUCH easier to get into ev mode.
2. better mileage even while being pushed.
3. smoother transition at start/stop/ev engage/disengage.

Old 10-13-2007, 02:08 PM

1) The first bar on mine usually goes at 150mi and this tank it was 160mi, for whatever that's worth. Doesn't sound like your tank was anywhere near full. My computer is a bit optimistic but less than 4%.

2) The Prius uses the more efficient valve profile until the engine breaks ~3k RPM. After that it starts to breathe more like a regular engine, and the thrust picks up nicely. It's a funny car because it moves pretty well but you won't know it unless you look at the speedo. I like to call it the "angry sewing machine effect." I think it has to do with the CVT, so you guys probably experience something like it in your 2nd-gen HCH's.

3) That bar does take some getting used to, but it actually comes in handy at night. It's in a good spot to block the direct glare of headlights.

4) Like I said, there's no way that tank was full. The bladder causes more variation from one fill than you are used to. If the computer said 51, you were probably getting 49 or 50.

Originally Posted by Doberwiler
Folks,

Just to respond to many posts (trying not to be biased at all -- it's a great car):

1) Fuel being full from the rental agency -- we went just over 90 miles before the first segment of the gauge shut down -- so it was pretty full (I think).

2) Regarding acceleration -- much more sluggish unless you push down the accelarator more -- but I think that is because it starts with only electric first. The HCH seems peppier. But when you floor the Prius -- it get's going pretty well.

3) The back view is weird but you get used to it. It's not great, but not that bad. At first it seems bad.

4) I was basically shocked by the difference in the Prius computer vs. actual. The HCH always does a little better, the Prius was a lot worse.

Still a great car. All HCH Hybrid enthusiasts should rent one of they can. It's a fun comparison.

Dobe

Last edited by brick; 10-13-2007 at 02:11 PM.
Old 10-13-2007, 03:48 PM
MPG FANATIC WITH GUZZLERS

I've driven them both, but own a Prius.In respect to things that can be measured;
1)Prius accelerates much faster-10 sec 0-6- vs 12 sec.It might not "seem" that way because Hondas have sporty sounding engines,and a sporty feel, but the HCH II is very slow,the Prius is just kinda' slow.
2)Prius gets better mpg-EPA,CR,this forums numbers,Euro epa,Japanese EPA etc.
3)Prius can carry bigger "things" -all cars should be hatchbacks.This was big for us,since we have dogs,and cats and might have to evac them in the Prius if the ancient SUV croaks.
In respect to things that can't be measured as easily;
1)The prius is easier to get in and out of-especially for older folks(55 and up).I really have to contort my body to get in and out of a Civic.My legs just aren't up to it.The low roofline and low seats are probably the main culprits in the Civic-they do improve the mpg of course.
2)The Prius absolutely requires that you turn around 180 degrees to back up.Some folks probably can rely on the camera, but I just can't-wrong generation.This is probably the main(only) shortcoming of the
Prius.The rear view from the side mirrors,and the rear mirror is ok when driving.I think this is what Doberwiler was referring to-not bad.
3)My Prius's onboard mpg display is ALWAYS - over 13000 miles - 2-4 mpg too high!!We usually get about 42, it usually reads 45 or so.I calculate every tank.The display of the running total is ALWAYS wrong in the same direction,and never less than 2 mpg too "good."
I'm a Prius partisan-I bought one.In respect to most things you can measure it is a bit better than the HCHII.It is hard to measure how annoying it is to back up with the Prius-annoying. The wrong mpg doesn't annoy me at all, but it would annoy many folks.I'm old,so I'm accustomed to calculating mpg.
Charlie

Old 10-13-2007, 06:34 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I agree that the Prius is a very nice car, but is it worth $5000.00 more than a HCH2 with the same options, I don't think so! The Prius was my first choice, but I could not justify it over the HCH2 ,which I like equally as much. I am not that sure if you have the same dollar spread in the U.S., but that is the spread here in Canada. H

Old 10-13-2007, 06:48 PM
MPG FANATIC WITH GUZZLERS

Harold,
The Prius costs about $1500- more-actual price- here in the USA.The Prius is frequently discounted $1000 or more(depending on current gas prices),the HCHII is discounted less usually.In general they are about $1000-$2000 apart with similar features.In some markets it is a wash price wise.
Charlie

Old 10-14-2007, 10:19 AM

Pricing seems to depend on where you are...the suggested price from both Honda and Toyota are really very similar, in this area (Spokane Wa.) the Toyota dealers tack on $4,000 to $5,000 "area adjustment" and won't budge a inch from that price....in other words, a Prius which was similar to my HCH was $28,000 with a 800 tax incentive, the HCH was just over 22,000 with a 2,100 tax incentive.
Bottom line....I too considered the Prius, but, money aside, after driving the Prius nealy 1,000 miles in 4 days, I prefer my HCH. I don't know what all the to do is about regarding accelertion, it moves as quickly as traffic will bear and at least I am not hitting my knee on the dash mounter shifter (I am 6'3" & 53years).
I am not worried about the headroom in the HCH either, which the Prius is a bit lacking in.....I was not to upset about that odd strip through the rear window, I figured it was a design flaw & quickly became used to it what actually bugged me was the center display and the empty space between the armrest and the dash, would have been a good place to move the shifter :-).
I probably would have been happy with the Prius had I not drove the HCH, I am happier with the HCH in direct comparision and since it is my HCH & my money, My happieness is really all that matters isnt it.

Last edited by Bobs Metallic Pearl; 10-14-2007 at 10:29 AM.
Old 10-14-2007, 10:47 AM

It's pretty wild that they're still marking up Prius that much in some parts of the country. When I went shopping (December '06) I was gunning for a used HCH-I. The few I found were either in terrible shape (beaten up by an un-caring owner) or priced insanely high. Like, $21k for an '04 with 45,000mi. They wouldn't budge on that price so I set my sights a little higher, and wanted to try a HCH-II. Only problem was that they couldn't be found anywhere in sothern New England. The best I could do was "come back in three months and we should have one you can test drive." So I said, fine, I'll try Toyota just for giggles. They had so many of these things on the lot it was ridiculous...25 sitting on the pavement with more rolling off the truck every week. They gave me a very decent trade on my Accord and let me further negotiate $1000 off MSRP for a Prius with a few basic options.

Quick Reply: HCH II Owner gets Prius for 400 miles...

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands