HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Grinding???

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 10:50 AM
Enthusiast
Default Grinding???

****UPDATED**** Scroll down for update

Hey everyone,

I recently replaced the rear hub assemblies (left & right) on my 2007 Honda Civic Hybrid hoping it would alleviate a grinding sound that was coming from the rear of the car when I made turns. However, after changing the hubs, the noise persists. I'm wondering if anyone has any other suggestions.

The noise seems to be more pronounced when making right hand turns and mostly goes away when driving straight - this is why I assumed it was a hub/bearing issue.

I am currently driving on a ready-to-be-replaced set of tires (which show signs of chopping) and should be getting them replaced later this week. I have had the control arms replaced by Honda, but only after this current set of tires was already making the high speed road noise. The noise, however, is distinct from the first time I had the tires replaced because of the control arms - it is more of a grinding noise than a "whurring" noise.

I'm a big DIYer and I like to see how much is involved in repair/maintenance jobs prior to going to a mechanic or a dreaded "stealership." If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks,

Dave

*****UPDATE*****

I took the rear wheels and drums off to double check and see if I could notice anything new and here's what I discovered. One of the flange bolts that attached to the lower arm was stripped and had begun to work its way out of the threaded bracket. Check out the pictures below for the rusted/stripped side and the other "in good condition" side.

I ordered the flange bolt and the bracket online and got them overnighted for ~$30. I'm not sure if this caused the problem, or just added to it, but I'm going to repair and update tomorrow morning. If anyone has any input aside from the fact that I missed it initially, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

Last edited by DSturch; 08-20-2012 at 01:38 PM. Reason: UPDATE