HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Got the latest June '10 software update!

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 05:59 PM
Think green.
Default Re: Got the latest June '10 software update!

To william.r,
Maybe your car's 12V battery (the one in the engine compartment) needs to be changed.

Regarding the HCH II update threads...
I've been reading them and I also wondered about the discrepancies. It sounds like some people got good results, but a lot of others have experienced bad results after getting the updates.

I wonder if any trend would be seen if someone collected data such as:

-model year of HCH II
-mileage on odometer at time of updates
-geographical location (maybe local climate has something to do with this?)
-any previous updates applied
-type of driving or commute (city vs highway driving; flat terrain vs hilly, etc.)
-average mpg car was obtaining before/after updates
-was the car having recals before the update, and how frequently.
--(any other factors that you guys think might be worth tracking.)

You would think Honda would try to compile some data so they could figure out what's going on.

Last edited by Gairwyn; 08-15-2010 at 06:02 PM.
Old 08-15-2010, 06:11 PM
Active Enthusiast

I've not been happy with 9-58 either, though it did finally fix the annoying transmission clunk bug..

Old 08-16-2010, 05:39 PM
Active Enthusiast

Hello all,

Just received my "New Software to Help Prevent IMA Battery Deterioration" letter today.

My '07 with almost 90,000 kms works great and I am not going to have the new software rock the boat. I don't do much stop and go driving with the AC on and that is the excuse being used to get the new software....

Comments?

Thanks

Mike

Old 08-16-2010, 06:36 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Mike, if you don't mind: are you in Canada? (just seem to remember you were, but wondering)

Old 08-17-2010, 08:06 AM
Active Enthusiast

Mike, if you don't mind: are you in Canada? (just seem to remember you were, but wondering)
Mendel: yes, I am in eastern Ontario. My gut feeling on this letter for new software is to just ignore it. I am doing all the recommended maintenance as per my owners manual, etc. That is the only caveat that I have to do to ensure the original warranty is honored. My attitude is if I put another 75K on the car, I'll pay the 3 grand for a new battery after that point to get another few years out of the car.....of course with no one touching the original software...which probably means I'll follow the shop manual judiciously whilst I swap the battery out myself......

Old 08-17-2010, 03:00 PM
Active Enthusiast

another week, another tank of gas, but VERY different weather and driving conditions.

I started this tank off in the heat (97 - 102 F) and was getting 28 mpg on the trip computer with a handful of resets and bottom outs on SoC, put about 60 miles on in those weather conditions.

Then the weather let up and we are at mid 70's to lower 80's. Been driving to topeka from KC on the back roads, so 1/2 trip is 65-70mph, 1/3 is 50-55, and remainder is city stop and go for approx 50 miles each way. Have not been running the a/c, and trip computer is reading a little over 39 mpgs. Much better then the heat, probably not quite where it was two years ago when I made this same trip in similiar weather (recollect approx 43-45 mpg). Battery resets and bottom outs have abated as well in this cooler weather.

The battery pack feels like it has more usable capacity in cooler weather then the extreme heat...not sure if this is a function of the new software deliberately limiting the usable range of the pack in the heat, or if its from the electric a/c running constantly in stop and go traffic, or both.

I think the threshold of my car acting up is somewhere in the mid 80's. Anything less, its fairly well behaved, albeit with somewhat diminished mileage from new. Any temperature greater, and my wife won't even drive the car because its unpredictable and unruly.

Car goes in the shop on Thursday, looks like mid 90's so hopefully it misbehaves for them so we can figure out what the heck is going on.

Old 08-17-2010, 04:42 PM
Arrow Re: Got the latest June '10 software update!

Originally Posted by iridium130m
Car goes in the shop on Thursday, looks like mid 90's so hopefully it misbehaves for them so we can figure out what the heck is going on.
I'll make you a bet that you'll pick up 3-5 MPG by lowering your motor oil level. I calculated my 'ding' at nearly 5 MPG when my dealer filled mine to the top dipstick line. Sorry to continue harping on this, but I just want you to remember this detail when you take it for service on Thursday. Good luck!

Old 08-17-2010, 08:11 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by stevenvillatoro
I'll make you a bet that you'll pick up 3-5 MPG by lowering your motor oil level. I calculated my 'ding' at nearly 5 MPG when my dealer filled mine to the top dipstick line. Sorry to continue harping on this, but I just want you to remember this detail when you take it for service on Thursday. Good luck!
Will do, but the big thing i'm looking for is a behavioral change in the car...I want constant recals and battery bottoming outs in the heat to end. period. That alone will pick up significant mileage as each time that behavior repeats I can watch the fuel computer drop the mileage as the battery goes into forced recharge.

Old 08-17-2010, 08:36 PM
Arrow Re: Got the latest June '10 software update!

Originally Posted by iridium130m
I want constant recals and battery bottoming outs in the heat to end. period.
Understood... I would feel the same. Let us know!

Old 08-18-2010, 06:57 PM

Thanks, Mike.

Well, found our notice in the mail box today. Thought it over: going to go for it.

Quick Reply: Got the latest June '10 software update!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands