HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Failed Emissions Test!?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 09:21 PM
AJR
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Failed Emissions Test!?

Originally Posted by giantquesadilla
I'm in San Diego County and I know that the first one is after 6 years.
OK... I stand corrected. I didn't know it was increased to 6 years in 2005. Im very happy that I don't have to smog both cars until 2013! From the CA BAR website:

Beginning January 1, 2005, vehicles 6 or less model-years old are exempt from the biennial Smog Check inspection requirement. For vehicles with registration renewals due in the 2006 calendar year, this exemption includes model-years 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005 and 2006.

Beginning January 1, 2005, vehicles 4 or less model-years old are exempt from the Smog Check inspection requirement upon change of ownership and transfer of title transactions with DMV. In 2006, this exemption includes model-years 2003, 2004, 2005 and 2006.

There is no fixed price in California (at least to my knowledge). I wish there was like in Texas, because all the cheaper ones are really far away from me.
I've paid from $19.99 to $49.99 for my smog checks. I've always passed. I try to find a coupon to one of the local smog check places. A test is a test as long as it passes and they send the info to the DMV.

Old 08-25-2007, 05:06 AM
hypermiler wannabe
Default We passed, finally!

Well, we passed. But it was a bit of an adventure...

Took the car to the dealer, their diagnostics said the car was fine. (then they tried to be nice and wasted 2 hours of my time) Not going to that dealership anymore. Even though the next closest is 20miles further!

I return to my testing center w/ the dealer's "no problems found" report. The same young man was working the testing center; had me pull to the same unit and tested again. Failed. He asks me, "What do you think?" I suggest pulling up 10 feet and trying the other test unit. We do that and... we pass. He asks, "how'd that happen?"

Then a manager steps up and says, "These newer cars (06-07's) OBDC-II systems are faster speed (data transfer) so if the test center's connections are poor and there is too much data loss, and the car fails." They know about this and are replacing the cable and connector on all stations. "Gee Mister, thanks!" I said and went home.

Old 08-25-2007, 07:19 AM
Hybrid True Believer

Mine just failed. It has a component failure in the fuel oxegenator (or something like that). It's only a $255 part, and my car is five years old, so I guess that's par for the course. I did get the ECM update performed, which means that the car no longer thinks the caralytic converter is dead. Unfortunately, the fuel oxygenator thing really is dead. The dar runs okay, but it's exhaust is too dirty to pass emissions until I can get the part replaced.

Old 08-25-2007, 06:55 PM
hypermiler wannabe

Originally Posted by AshenGrey
Mine just failed. It has a component failure in the fuel oxegenator (or something like that). It's only a $255 part...
Wow, that just plain stinks. (no pun) I guess I got a bit high-and-mighty thinking we hyrid owners shouldn't have to get emissions testing, let alone pay for it and take a few hours out of our life doing so. We should have little certificates or bumper stickers from the city gov. saying, "Thanks for helping us breathe easier"

Then situations like your happen and I come down to earth a bit. In my arrogance I forgot, we're still running ICE's that spew (much less) CO2 and other noxious gases. If it fails, it fails.

Bummer it isn't a $49 part.

Old 08-26-2007, 08:30 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

David: Did you get your money back for the two tests that didn't work? I can't believe that the smog checker's equipment failed you. Having poor equipment should be illegal. When I got my old car smogged, the computer kept on crashing and I had to sit in the hot sun for a couple of hours. Not to mention, the operator drove with my emergency brake on. I guess that's what I get for choosing the cheapest one. I know that when I get my HCH tested (in 5.5 yrs) I will not be going there.

Old 08-26-2007, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by AshenGrey
Mine just failed. It has a component failure in the fuel oxegenator (or something like that).
Was the CEL lit? I would think that it would light up if there were a problem with an emissions sensor.

Old 08-26-2007, 03:44 PM
Enthusiast

This is from the Taxifornia DMV site; so hybrids are exempt!

Does my vehicle qualify for a smog exemption?
Smog inspections are required unless your vehicle is:
  • Hybrid
  • 1975 year model or older
  • Diesel powered
  • Electric
  • Natural gas powered and has a Gross Vehicle Weight rating of 14,001 lbs. or more.
  • Motorcycle
  • Trailer

Old 08-26-2007, 04:20 PM
hypermiler wannabe

David: Did you get your money back for the two tests that didn't work? I can't believe that the smog checker's equipment failed you...
Sort of. The rule is fail once, get a free retest. Fail twice, pay for the third try. So it was only $9, but taking a couple hours out of my day is worth much more than that to me.

I guess the good thing about our system is the consistency of the six approved test centers that are run by the same company w/ (mostly!) the same equipment. Not a 'this company vs that company' situation. Still irks me to know this one company gets $9 for each car in the county and surrounding counties each year... that's a lot of $9!

Old 08-26-2007, 05:18 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

They're about $45 where I live. That's a lot of $45!

By the way, Brian. Hybrids are only exempt in California until 2010, unless they make a new legislation. For those of us who bought after '04, we still have to get our 6-year initial test.
http://smogcheck.ca.gov/StdPage.asp?...eck/hybrid.htm

Last edited by giantquesadilla; 08-26-2007 at 05:25 PM.