HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Estimate my mileage please...

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 04:47 PM
Wo ai Zheng!
Default Re: Estimate my mileage please...

Originally Posted by spartybrutus
Try this on her - every time she pulls say three 50mpg TANKS in the HCH, you will take her out for a nice dinner. Let me know how it works out.
+1

Old 06-24-2008, 05:57 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks for all the replies so far...

This afternoon, a HCH-II pulled into the driveway two doors down for a visit. I approached the driver and asked about his mileage. He said he got over 50 mpg 6 months ago on a long trip from NC to FL on interstate 95. Nice cool weather and cruising at 65 mph.

He says he averages 40-42 in cooler weather in a mix of local highway and interstate driving...but about 35 MPG right now.

OUCH. He says the heat really kills his MPG. He also keeps his tires at 32 psi or so.

So, in the summer heat - he gets 35 MPG. I am not too happy to hear that. I took a deposit on my Odyssey and I am ready to part ways with it any day. Last thing I wanted to hear was something at 35 mpg.

Old 06-24-2008, 06:27 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hmmm... I cannot imagine getting 35mpg. My worst tank was ~39mpg and that was driving in very cold and snowy weather--even by Denver, CO standards. I would not worry about that person's experience. I think you will do much better than that.

Old 06-24-2008, 06:30 PM
Energy Independence

Too late now to ask I bet, but I bet he keeps his AC on FREEZE. That can make a big difference, but 35MPG is pretty low, unless he also is driving quite short trips these days (and probably different than his "cooler weather" driving mix).
It's just so hard to tell what the conditions are when someone reports low MPG, but there's usually a reason.
It could be as simple as checking/maintaining his 32 psi (a little low, btw) while the tires are hot, especially in summer. If that's occurring, he's letting out way too much air and is probably driving on 24-25 psi. That would definitely put a dent in MPG.
You just never know without getting a lot more info.

Old 06-24-2008, 07:05 PM
Active Enthusiast

Heat doesn't kill your FE, cold does. Either cold from the winter or the cold blowing from the A/C. I couldn't get 35 mpg if I tried. I admit to trying to get 60 mpg and am getting that now that summer is here, but even when I wasn't trying I was getting over 47 mpg and it was cooler outside.

Old 06-24-2008, 07:54 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jim-HCHII-08
So, in the summer heat - he gets 35 MPG. I am not too happy to hear that. I took a deposit on my Odyssey and I am ready to part ways with it any day. Last thing I wanted to hear was something at 35 mpg.
I think all you need to do is look at this chart to see how this guy's driving habits compare to others.

I'm in Tampa, FL and drive my HCH-II to work every day 26 miles each way in rush hour traffic. 80% highway, 20% urban, A/C set to 72 always. You see my stats below, and I'm just getting started.

Old 06-25-2008, 09:27 AM
Wo ai Zheng!

I need to update it, but I've got an ongoing chart of individual tank, lifetime average, and temperature relate with respect to my car.

Old 06-25-2008, 09:46 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mmrmnhrm
I need to update it, but I've got an ongoing chart of individual tank, lifetime average, and temperature relate with respect to my car.
Ohhhh, I'm in heaven! What are you using to generate that chart and can it be shared?

Old 06-25-2008, 12:23 PM
Wo ai Zheng!

Originally Posted by HemiSync
Ohhhh, I'm in heaven! What are you using to generate that chart and can it be shared?
Just one big-**** Excel spreadsheet, the "Print Screen" button on my keyboard, and some cut/paste/crop magic with Paint. I suppose I can post that when I get home as well

Old 06-26-2008, 02:20 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mmrmnhrm
Just one big-**** Excel spreadsheet, the "Print Screen" button on my keyboard, and some cut/paste/crop magic with Paint. I suppose I can post that when I get home as well
Would love to see it and I am sure that I am not the only one that would appreciate being able to download it. Thanks

Quick Reply: Estimate my mileage please...

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands