HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Entering the final stretch

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 08:56 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Entering the final stretch

Originally Posted by Harold
Well I filled up at 570 miles with no pips left and only took 10.4 gal to first click. 54.39mpg. So it looks like I had 2 gal remaining? H

Not necessarily.
If you stopped pumping at the first click you could have added much more if you kept squeezing the pump handle more.

I think people have reported getting over 1 gallon more into the tank.

So the big question is, how much is left after the bars disappear and how much is left ABOVE the first click of the pump.

I really wish I knew both of these with certainty.

Old 07-01-2007, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by kenny
Not necessarily.
If you stopped pumping at the first click you could have added much more if you kept squeezing the pump handle more.

I think people have reported getting over 1 gallon more into the tank.

So the big question is, how much is left after the bars disappear and how much is left ABOVE the first click of the pump.

I really wish I knew both of these with certainty.
I can answer, with decent confidence, how much gas is above the first click. I have now topped off all the way four times. Every time I have done this, I also record the volume where the first click occurs.

These are the amounts from the first click to all the way topped off:
1.963 gallons
1.785 gallons
1.895 gallons
1.927 gallons

1.8923 gallons (average)

Of course, the largest part of this variation comes from where the pump shuts off for the first time.

As for how much gas is left after the first pip, I am pretty confident it is more than 1.3 gallons.

I just pumped in a total of 13.727 gallons this morning.

Old 07-01-2007, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Kite

I just pumped in a total of 13.727 gallons this morning.
How can this be?

Honda says that tanks of our 2006 HCH2s hold only 12.3 gallons.

Old 07-01-2007, 10:55 AM

How can this be?

I believe that they report the capacity from fist click shutoff down to empty. I topped off this morning.

Old 07-01-2007, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Kite
I believe that they report the capacity from fist click shutoff down to empty. I topped off this morning.
So if I can get 71 MPG out of this tank (which I did not top off) 71 x 12.3 = 873 miles.
That's if I go till I run out of gas.

If I had topped it off:
I would have added the average of:

1.963 gallons
1.785 gallons
1.895 gallons
1.927 gallons

which is 1.8925

1.89 + 12.3 = 14.19

71 x 14.19 = 1007 miles.

Maybe higher if you could go 40 MPH for the whole tank of flat roads.

Last edited by kenny; 07-01-2007 at 11:18 AM.
Old 07-01-2007, 11:40 AM
Happy Camper Enthusiast

How can this be?

As a number of us have written in other threads, at least some of us have manuals that say 13.2 gal. That's not a typo, and we prove it with how much we fill. We speculate there are plastic tanks with 13.2 gal and metal tanks with 12.3 gal ratings, because others have manuals that say 12.3.

Mr. Kite, thanks a bizillion for that 13.7 number -- you rock. I've been very curious what the reserve capacity and top-off capacity on my 13.2 gallon tank might be. I always calculate my own range based strictly on 13.0 gal. It's nice to know there might be nearly an entire gallon beyond that (I always top off to visible fuel in the filler neck).

By the way, the range you show of 1.8 to 2 gal beyond first click-off matches my experience exactly. I've gotten as much as 2, usually get somewhere between 1.8 and 1.9.

--doug

Old 07-01-2007, 12:49 PM
HypoFueler

Originally Posted by AJR
Well, I was excited today because I finally joined the 600 mile club after my 7th tank. But after seeing this thread, I am feeling very low on the totem pole . Anyway, I had 50mpg. The last fuel light went out at about 490 miles, and when I filled up at 608, I put in 11.8 gal so I had about 1/2 gal left. With you getting 70mpg, you should squeeze out at least 150-200 miles after the last fuel light!
600 miles is a great tank for any vehicle - especially little tanks on the HCH2!

Sounds like you went 118miles after E or about 2 gallons beyond E. So 11.8-2 is about 9.8 gallons at E. Or about 2.5 gallons left at E.

Old 07-01-2007, 01:19 PM
HypoFueler

...The camera is a Nikon D200 with a Nikkor 55mm f2.8 macro lens.
Thanks Kenny - now at least I might be able to take nice pictures like you - wont touch your typical FE though....

I also use CC on my highway segments, getting up to 61mpg for daily commute averaging 55 and 65mpg (limits) on the two highway sections. I may take the 65 down to 60 as this may allow me 1) stay at similar speeds to many trucks, 2) take FE up on that segment and 3) cost me ~1 minute on that 10 minute segment.

I was after the speed where peak mpg happens not for freeways, but for other rural segments or even urban segments. Maybe getting to and running at this target speed is worth it if you dont have to slow/stop for say 1+ miles down the road.

I suppose you can estimate this target speed if you run up/back same stretch of road enough to get a meaningful average mpg versus the noise.

Thanks again.

Old 07-01-2007, 03:49 PM

1.89 + 12.3 = 14.19

71 x 14.19 = 1007 miles.
Yeah, I was doing that math as well. I'm going to give it a try.

So far, I'm at at 134.7 mpg after 5.0 miles. (The gas station where I filled up this morning was about 220ft higher than my house). 995 more miles to go. So far this summer, I'm usually able to break 70 mpg on days when I'm just going to work and back along with daycare stops. I can often do much better if I have some favorable errands to run.

Old 07-06-2007, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by 1stpik
Most efficient speed is very difficult to calculate in the HCH 2. Usually, it's the speed at which a car uses lowest rpm in the highest gear. But since the CVT constantly adjusts, it's tough to tell.

A patient owner could find a long stretch of road and try to find the m.e.s., but so many variables affect mpg that it would be almost impossible.

Even the flattest stretch of road has slight uphill and downhill inclines, and that affects mpg noticeably. Also, a slight gust of wind will drop mpg momentarily. So using the mpg meter for specific speeds over short distances is unscientific.

If I had to guess, I'd say the HCH's most efficient speed is 45 mph. If we could all stick to that maximum, we'd get 60 mpg, and those who could sacrifice air conditioning would get 70, like Kenny. He provides a great real-world example of what the Civic Hybrid can accomplish.

Unfortunately, Texas is not part of the real world. Driving 48 mph with no a/c here would leave you dead from one of three causes:

1. heat stroke

2. getting rear-ended by a semi going 70 mph

3. getting shot by a pickup driver going 80 mph

I'm not kidding.

So I'll have to stick with 65 mph and liberal use of refrigerated air. I can still get 50 mpg doing that -- halfway through the current tank and showing a solid 49.9 so far. I'll post the pics when I hit 600 miles.
Not to take anything away from Kenny but it's hardly real world numbers. His commute is flat and he is going below the speed limit.

Quick Reply: Entering the final stretch

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands