HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

EDR - Event Data Recorders

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 07:52 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: EDR - Event Data Recorders

I love the idea.

I absolutely LOVE it!

Over 50% of drivers are A-Holes and this is going to help get them.

Bring it on Big Brother.

Yeah!

Old 11-27-2006, 07:56 PM
Active Enthusiast

They just had a story on cnn about a guy whose edr said he plowed into a car doing 140 mph. He's doin 30 years for homicide. Two accident reconstructionists put the speed at between 50 and 60.

My point is simply that this is an electromechanical device and as such it is prone to failure. I'm sure you're right the calibration probably will drift over time but I also know that it would be impossible for you or I to know that our EDR is working properly without routine maintenance and certification. I also know that these vehicles could be in service many years going through many 'hazards' which could affect the edr's accuracy. salt and road grime in the sensors, umm constant shock and vibration just to name a couple. These devices were never meant to be used against the driver but were meant to be used by the manufacturer to record how their airbags work. I would like it if there was a light or something like a wrench or something that at least indicated that all the self tests checked out. I would want the device continually polled to ensure that the device was in spec for the diagnostics. I could then have the option of getting the thing serviced if my little 'check engine' light came on. I would rather not take the chance that my EDR is seriously fubared if I ever get hauled into court saying I was doin 140 when I know I wasn't. I think if they're going to use EDR data in a court of law that there should be a routine inspection period that needs to happen. I also think that much like everything else in life a little common sense should be used when deciphering results. I mean the guy doin 140 in a corvette broadsiding two girls in a truck and then walking away without a scratch. I don't know about you but that seems a little far fetched if you ask me.

Jayson

Originally Posted by mmrmnhrm
While I'm sure the calibration will drift over time, I rather doubt it'll be more than maybe plus/minus 5-10%. At standard highway speeds (65mph for anyone not in Montana), that means, at worst, it'll accuse you of going 72mph when you're really doing the limit. Most cops here in Ohio won't usually pull you over for that unless they're having a crummy day and need something to fill their time since they know someone won't be too far behind doing 80. At any rate, something would have to be seriously wrong with the EDR for it to accuse you of doing 140mph when you were really only at 70mph, and any decent accident reconstruction would be able to clear you of that sort of excess.

Last edited by ravadac; 11-27-2006 at 08:00 PM.
Old 11-27-2006, 08:01 PM
F**k ExxonMobil

govt should test accuracy of the edr while they're doing crash testing.

Old 11-27-2006, 08:15 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 06hch2
govt should test accuracy of the edr while they're doing crash testing.
Car manufacturers currently test their own edr's (as like I said in my previous post) They were never supposed to be used for law enforcement but were only supposed to be used to test the manufacturer's airbag logic.

Even if the govt did test the accuracy while doing the crash testing that is no gaurantee that the edr will be accurate in 5 or 6 or maybe 10 years out. If they're going to use it for law enforcement it needs to be like any other monitored system in the car and let you know when it's not performing up to snuff.

Jayson

Old 11-27-2006, 09:37 PM
Energy Independence

Originally Posted by mmrmnhrm
@$$w1p3
On a lighter note, good work mmrmnhrm!

Old 11-28-2006, 01:54 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

The EDR is fed information from existing sensors (used for emission / powertrain control). In this case the VSS (vehicle speed sensor) is the one some are concerned could "convict" them falsely.

In truth, the chances of the VSS failing are very remote... and if it did, it would also impact driveability. Most notably, the transmission shift points would be completely messed up and it would immediately set a code and illuminate the MIL (malfunction indicator lamp... ie. check engine light). If you got into an accident and the EDR said you were doing 140 mph, your powertrain control module (ECU, ECM, etc.) could be your defense. It would have saved the fault code for VSS. You'd never be convicted of the crime if the one piece of evidence was proven to be faulty... so rest easy! It'll only convict those who DESERVE to be convicted!