HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Economy Hit - Fall

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 07:06 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Economy Hit - Fall

Well I am well aware of the economy hit that can be had in the fall / winter but I have really taken a hit. WHen I got my 09 HCH in June I was able to rip off 65-70MPG (imperial) tanks now I am struggling to get 52 MPG (Imperial) that's a serious hit and it kind of sucks. In other vehicles I take about 3-5 MPG hit this time of year not 18 MPG
Everyone else getting hit?

Old 11-27-2009, 06:19 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Economy Hit - Fall

fuelmiser: yes, I get the hit every fall as well. My overall average is 4.84L/100 km (over 64,507 km). However, my winter time average (a spread sheet that I keep for all tank re-fills that are 5.0L/100 km or worse) is 5.46L/100 km. This is a hit of 13% from the overall average. My normal mid summer numbers are 4.56L/100 km.

I find that once the ambient temp (or wind chill of air entering the intake) is below 15C, one really notices the hit.

I employ a cold weather protocol from early October to mid April.

Said tips to save fuel in the winter with these cars can be found elsewhere in this chat room and here: http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17560

Old 11-27-2009, 09:59 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Have you blocked all the grill openings! This will help get the temps up faster. Also a block heater may be a good investment for you? I use those foam insulation tubes you insulate water pipes with on my 2006 HCH for blocking the openings. I block my grill as soon as the weather cools.Should make a big difference for you. Hal

Old 11-27-2009, 11:59 AM
Active Enthusiast

Well I am well aware of the economy hit that can be had in the fall / winter but I have really taken a hit.

In my opinion Honda civic hybrids are a horrible car in Canadian winters. I'm sure BC doesn't get as cold as Sask., but even blocking off the front, using a block heater my car gets in the low 30's (imp mpg) in the winter. I have problems getting any heat out of the car when its -25C or lower. In fact I have to keep a scraper handy on the front seat to scrape the frost off the inside of front and side windows.

Old 11-27-2009, 06:52 PM

Hi starman:
Nth. Half of BC is similar to SK. as far as temps. go, less wind however! If I lived in your area I would cover the front of my radiator with cardboard or something similar. Put a 4' cut-out in about the center area to allow air for days that are not as cold. On warmer days you may want to operate with the temp. gauge on so you can watch it. By blocking the grill, there is still a fair amount of air getting to and cooling the rad.? It makes a big difference when you cover at the rad.!I still feel you have a heater problem? Or the hot water is restricted some how on the way to the heater. The air may not be getting out of the heater as well? The coldest I have been in is -25 and the car was comfortable and the heat was not at max.! Hal

Old 11-27-2009, 06:59 PM

starman, Is your thermostat working? Very important that it stays closed up to 192 deg.or whatever Cel. that is? If your like most of us we never watch our temperatures much.Is it getting up to about mid way? It should not move off that spot. Hal

Old 11-28-2009, 12:17 PM
Active Enthusiast

Hi starman:
Nth. Half of BC is similar to SK. as far as temps. go, less wind however! If I lived in your area I would cover the front of my radiator with cardboard or something similar. ----snip---

Thanks for the advice, but last winter the grill was plugged with foam pipe wrap. This did not work. Today I took the plastic shield off the top of rad by pullling 4 push tabs, and put cardboard right against the A/C condenser. Maybe this will work better.

Old 11-28-2009, 12:26 PM
Active Enthusiast

starman, Is your thermostat working? Very important that it stays closed up to 192 deg.or whatever Cel. that is? If your like most of us we never watch our temperatures much.Is it getting up to about mid way? It should not move off that spot. Hal

Thanks for the reply. Apparently all checks out ok when I had the dealer looked at it.

Old 11-28-2009, 03:01 PM

Yes that should help you out. Just watch the temperature thou. for awhile. It can over heat fast if the weather changes. Hope it makes a difference for you.Keep us posted. Hal