HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Driving MPG

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 05:32 PM
Enthusiast
Default Driving... MPG Gauge goes to zero?????

Sometimes when driving my '08 the MPG gauge will display zero mpg. This usually happens when I am finessing the pedal and get it in one particular spot. Usually when I am at around 55 to 60 miles per hour. Should I keep it there? Am I really getting bad mileage when this happens? I contemplate it for a couple seconds and always decide to re-adjust the pedal and get it to go back to a more normal reading.
Also, does anyone have a jerking experience when backing up?

Thanks.... My mileage seems to keep getting better, only 2,000 miles on it so far. Averaging 45.1 on this tank and it's a crappy Ohio winter.

Thanks.

Last edited by Marine1; 01-14-2008 at 05:40 PM.
Old 01-14-2008, 06:40 PM
Wo ai Zheng!
Default Re: Driving MPG

You're fine keeping it there, and no, you're not getting bad mileage. You're just seeing the iMPG "samba", as it's come to be known. Some people claim that it's a recalibration of some sort (I don't think so... the only *known* and documented recal is the battery SOC), but Honda has never laid out a statement saying exactly what it is.

Old 01-14-2008, 07:16 PM
Part Time Hybrids

The other popular answer is your really getting 100+ mpg but the computer can't display over a set number so it resets to one blip

It normally seems to occur when gliding or coasting. When the fuel is being cutoff. Your not really wasting gas at that moment yet moving so perhaps the computer glitches out.

Old 01-15-2008, 06:34 AM
Active Enthusiast

"Also, does anyone have a jerking experience when backing up?"

I had one of those last month. I was backing out of a parking space, and some jerk blocked me while he waited for another driver backing out a few spaces down.

Old 01-15-2008, 08:30 AM
Just me...

lol @ 1stpik.... that's a good one

on colder mornings when backing out of the driveway, the car slowly rolls backwards. when I press the gas just a little bit, I guess the clutch (dis)engages or something, sending much more power to the drive wheels, resulting in a bit of a jump. is that kinda what you're referring to?

Old 01-15-2008, 08:28 PM
Enthusiast

Yes, I suppose that is what it is.

I did a manual calculation on this tank and it was a tad bit off. Getting 3 more mpg when doing the manual calculation.
IU don't top it off when refilling and wherever the pump auto stops is what I consider a fill up. Is this the correct procedure or should I fill it completely?

Old 01-15-2008, 09:00 PM
Energy Independence

Yes, Marine1, you're fine.

MANY people stop their fill-up at 1st click-off. I go for 2nd click-off, and I *think* the Displayed MPG is a little bit closer to the manually-calculated MPG that way. It matters not, really.

Most people avoid filling completely (to the filler neck).
First, it can waste gas (spillage when pumping).
Second, it can ruin the evaporative bladder. That's the claim, and certainly plausible.

And - WELCOME to the club here!

Old 01-15-2008, 09:37 PM
Wo ai Zheng!

Originally Posted by Marine1
I don't top it off when refilling and wherever the pump auto stops is what I consider a fill up. Is this the correct procedure or should I fill it completely?
There really is no "correct" procedure, so long as you record how much gas went in, and how many miles you drove. By the time you get to 300k miles, it's not really going to matter much whether a single tank was filled an extra half-gallon, because there's going to be another tank in there that was low a half-gallon.

Old 01-22-2008, 09:24 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Steve:
(to add to what Chris said)
This happens to me everyday going downhill when I am gliding (with 0-2 bars of charge and no assist). It is purely a glitch in the iFE. I have seen my iFE at 0, but my average mpg rise. It will not affect the way your car estimates your MPG, or your actual MPG for that matter.

Also, I'm not sure if this is true, but it seems worse on cold days. I probably will not have a conclusion until spring. When this happens, you can pretty much assure yourself that your in EV mode, getting infinity MPG.

Old 01-22-2008, 09:37 PM
Wo ai Zheng!

Originally Posted by giantquesadilla
Also, I'm not sure if this is true, but it seems worse on cold days. I probably will not have a conclusion until spring. When this happens, you can pretty much assure yourself that your in EV mode, getting infinity MPG.
Yes, it is worse on cold days, especially when the engine is still getting warmed up. But to all those folks out there who swear it's a cold-only problem, I can do it going 60mph in the middle of August, too.

Quick Reply: Driving MPG

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands