HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Driver's seat lumbar being shaved down on Monday....

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 11:00 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Driver's seat lumbar being shaved down on Monday....

Sometimes I just sit here and laugh at the smart comments people make. Not being rude, just have a sense of humor...

Anyway, I'm right around 6' 170ish. While I do believe the HCH seats are much more comfortable than other car seats, I don't think that it really matters a lot when it comes to long drives. I've driven from DE to CA and back, a few trips to FL, OH, IN, MI (including all the states in between hehe). In the end, no seat is comfortable enough, regardless of its design just because you're sitting in a small area for a long time period.

It could be due to body issues that the seat isn't comfortable. And by that, I'm not talking bean pole vs. obese. I fall in the middle, but I've had back issues for about 10 years or so. I threw my back out at work and no matter what, car seats just don't work well in long sittings. Even on long trips, i still stop atleast every 2 hours, either for fuel, pitstop, etc. because my back will just be sore from lack of ability to adjust in a seat.

Regardless, I hope the change works for you.

Old 02-25-2008, 11:37 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wick1ert
Sometimes I just sit here and laugh at the smart comments people make. Not being rude, just have a sense of humor...

Regardless, I hope the change works for you.
Well, I don't know what you tried, but I drove BMWs for a few years and I never had a complaint. They were perfect -- even for long road trips. I even looked into getting an office seat made out of them.

If I ever hit the lotto, I'd be looking for BMW's future diesel-hybrids.

Have you ever sat in a Lexus or Volvo seat? Also Perfect.

nf

Old 02-25-2008, 08:42 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

the Si seats also fit. they are more sporty and provide more lateral support. i found them more comfortable than the hybrid seats. i have seen a set for $500 and they include the side airbags.

Old 02-26-2008, 04:32 PM
Active Enthusiast

nf -

never ridden in a BMW, Audi, Lexus for any long period of time. I think I've only been in a Lexus once, and it was only about 20 mins each way. Either way, i've ridden in many a car for various time periods, but they just don't quite do it. I'm always sore & stiff if I'm sitting still for an extended time period. I manage though, just make sure I get up and walk a little every couple hours when I'm on the road for long periods. Then again, I have issues sitting still for more than that time anyway...can't even stand to sit on a plane for more than about a 2 hr flight...

Old 02-26-2008, 08:05 PM
Enthusiast

i cannot deal with lumbar. i had my driver's seat dealt with by a local upholstery guy less than a week after buying the HCH. i think it was about 100$. however, if there's still time you shouldn't shave the foam... there is a spring like mechanism in the rear of the seat that is physically pushing the foam forward to create the lumbar support. my guy removed the spring mechanism and then we needed to add a small amount of foam to the front to take care of a slight depression caused when the spring was removed...

feels great now.

Old 02-27-2008, 06:46 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hmmm... I wonder if you messed with your Active Head Restraints. If you push your head back into the headrest you can feel lumbar pushing at your back. This is in case of a rear collision the force of your back into your seat will cause your headrest to come forward to protect you from whiplash.

Adjusting foam is one thing, but I'd trust Honda springs.

Old 02-27-2008, 11:50 AM
Enthusiast

Hmmm... I wonder if you messed with your Active Head Restraints.
nah. good question though. the head restraint is intact. but ****, i considered having it modified too. sure took some getting used to.

r