HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

The downhill: D or N?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 09:01 AM
HOV lane commuter
Default Re: The downhill: D or N?

Originally Posted by PapaMile
*Forcing an AS in any vehicle (other then an Fas , takes these limits out of the equation. Shift to N, let the Tach stabilize, [b]key back to IG-I (shuts down the ICE via key to IG-III, release to IG-II, and engage transmission with a rev match to continue on your way. Source:cleanmpg
I think I understand what you've writting, though it's confusing.

It seems to me, if I'm understanding the process correctly, that one who engages in Forced Auto Stops is restarting the engine with the ignition key, what, dozens of times per trip? Here's what I'd like to know: Isn't it a bad thing to be restarting one's engine while in motion? What engine/alt damage can be done, if any, by doing this repeatedly?

Old 09-12-2007, 11:12 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mogryph
Anybody have any thoughts on shifting to 2nd down a hill? I live at the top of a hill where I'm quite often at about half charge when I leave in the morning, while the car's cold. Unfortunately, the hill's not steep enough, nor long enough, for the car to get fast enough to engage the charging.
But, if I drop the car into 2nd for a second after I've built up a little speed I get 2-3 green bars, and engine breaking is strong (which isn't bad, since I have to stop at the bottom of the hill anyhow).

What are your thoughts on this?
-Mo
Yeah, I and others drop down to S to get regen before the car properly warms up. (I never really understood why regen is off when the car is cold). I don't think there are any wear-and-tear issues, since there isn't a mechanical difference btwn D & S. Just software/control (?) differences.

Old 09-12-2007, 05:32 PM
For my daughter

Originally Posted by JRCaesar
I think I understand what you've writting, though it's confusing.
it's a copy and paste. My english is likely not that good.

Originally Posted by JRCaesar
Isn't it a bad thing to be restarting one's engine while in motion? What engine/alt damage can be done, if any, by doing this repeatedly?
My answer is for the HCH. If you restart your engin on N, it's like if you restarted the car in the parking. At high speed, the damages might append when you return on D, the engin restrarted. One time, I returned to D too fast after the restart and I heard a noise because of the difference of speed between the wheels and the engin. If you push the accelerator to try to guess the appropriate speed for the engin, it's much more smooth. Honestly, I'am in the doubt also and I thing I prefer remain on D and use the stealth mode (No assist/No regen).

If you are at low speed or stopped, I don't see (and experienced) any problem. Don't forget, it is the IMA that start the ICE not a starter.

Other comments are wellcome.

PierreM

Old 09-13-2007, 08:03 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Thanks. I have done FAS a couple of times. usually when at a stop light and my car will not AS. I don't think that there is much advantage to FAS, because when going downhill the valves will close and not suck in gas anyways. I sure won't do it anymore after Pierre's story, because I don't want to damage my engine or anything.

Old 09-13-2007, 08:52 AM
Wo ai Zheng!

Originally Posted by giantquesadilla
I have done FAS a couple of times. usually when at a stop light and my car will not AS.
This isn't really a FAS in the usual sense... you don't have to worry about rev matching or anything else, since you're basically doing what a normal AS would do anyways. The only suggestion I'd have is that if you do a manual switch-off of the engine, to pull the handbrake since you may lose brake-pad pressure over time.