HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011
View Poll Results: Do you hate your climate control?
Yes! It's annoyingly tedious.
19.51%
No, I love it!
48.78%
It's okay.
31.71%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Do you hate your climate control?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 05:29 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Do you hate your climate control?

On the contrary, I love it!

It's either OFF or AUTO for me. No manual here. One less thing I have to worry about and mess with while I should be driving.

Every car I have driven in my life has auto climate control (I'm young). I would be extremely disappointed if the HCH didn't have it. Actually on that note, I'm a little angry that it doesn't have auto-headlights, how hard could it be? It already has a "sunlight" sensor....

Old 11-29-2007, 05:46 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I love the climate control. It works perfectly for me and I love how it was designed to be as much in auto mode as possible, with the few essential overrides as bottom-row buttons. I find it to be very well thought out and it deserves to be used.

There is only one thing I do with it regularly: When I'm going to park and leave the car for at least an hour, I turn the A/C off around 5 minutes before to let any moisture in the system dry; It should prevent the odour of mildew, especially in the Summer. When I return to the car, just press auto and away we go. More attention on the road instead of constantly playing with controls.

Keep it in auto. It's not just temperature control and sensing sun rays, but it will also reduce the car's humidity and I think it will do preventative conditioning on the windscreen before it becomes necessary to use the defogger.

I should add that this topic, along with dozens of others, tells me that many people seem to be control freaks or have trust issues. It isn't enough that the car was designed for optimal fuel economy which is very reasonable for its class; All you have to do is drive and let it do the work for you. No, every little iota of its function has to be dissected and controlled manually... Sometimes illegally, too. I think there are people who would be much happier with bicycles. Actually, I don't mean this for those who just don't like climate control as a matter of taste. I respect other people's choices, but I reserve the right to be critical of them.

Old 11-29-2007, 05:52 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Actually, I just put it on auto, hit the button to turn of the ac when I don't need it, not a problem.....apparently, you have never driven a Prius, THAT climate control is a PITA....if you are watching the mileage, hit climate, figure out which of the many buttons you have to push, the temp is a up/dn arrow but the fan is individual little touch buttons, try to figure out if the compresser is on, go ahead, just try, I dare you, I couldnt in 1,000 miles over 4 days, then once you get it figured out, hit the mode button, then some other on screen button to go back to part of the mileage, then another one to see the rest of the mileage data...don't even try to adjust the radio station......more buttons, more screens, but, then again, watching the road is not nearly as important as flipping through the cool center display window.

Old 11-29-2007, 06:13 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I can't stand the auto climate control and and never use it.

Thank you very much Honda, but I have a brain.

Old 11-29-2007, 06:28 PM

Well, why not use it!!!! <grin>

Old 11-29-2007, 07:23 PM

4. Press Mode 3-5 times to get the vents I want
Is it like that in your '07 too? In mine, it remembers my vent setting even if i turn the climate control off.

This is my first car w/ climate control and, for the most part, I like it. I really wish it would just keep the darn A/C off though!

Old 11-29-2007, 07:37 PM

Sorry to double post, but I just remembered a question I had a while ago. A little over a month ago (during the wildfires in SoCal) I was using the recirculate function on the climate control. A funny smell came out of the vent (not smoky or ashy). I can't really describe it, but I was wondering if anyone else had this problem. I took the cabin air filter and dumped the ash out. I forgot about the problem until the other day, when I accidentally hit the recirculate button.
Any info greatly appreciated
Thanks
Colby

Old 11-29-2007, 09:23 PM
Active Enthusiast

I'm pretty happy overall with the auto control; it's the first I've ever had in a car. In our Oregon fall and winter, I keep it on Auto. According to the manual, if you have it on Auto, then set A/C off, it will just do the Auto thing without the A/C coming on.

In the cold morning, I just set the temp to 66 or so, and the fan stays low if anything, until the engine warms up. Then I can crank it up if my wife is in the car, but I'm happy with 66 or 67 degrees.

If I need a burst of defrosting, I hit the defrost for a while, then turn it off when I'm done.

If I really want to mess with the controls, I can always use the system in manual control.

So...sheesh, it's not worth complaining about--just shut off the Auto if you want to manage manually.

And to throw in some humor, anyone remember the Firesign Theater routine that had the car with Climate Control? The prospective purchaser could set it to Land of the Pharohs and then wind up in ancient Egypt, for example. It made a lot more sense to have smoked something illegal before listening to the record. Now that's just a memory, since I treat addicts these days!

Old 11-29-2007, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by chkuttner
So...sheesh, it's not worth complaining about--just shut off the Auto if you want to manage manually.
I guess that's the problem--it works fine in auto mode, but kinda sucks in manual mode. For those of us who prefer manual, it's not a very good system to use.

BTW, you forget this is a car forum...there is always somthing to complain about on a car--even a car as awesome as the HCH! When the biggest thing I have to ***** about is the climate control, you know it's a great car!

Old 11-30-2007, 06:33 AM

Okay, you autophiles!

I thought maybe I should give AUTO another chance this morning. As I said earlier, I keep the system OFF until I get four bars on the engine temp gauge. At that point I hit AUTO and turned the dial to Hi.

The fan sounds like it's on it's highest setting, but I can't feel anything. It's freezing this morning and I need to feel that warm air stat. So, I hit MODE until the vents are set from the dash.

AUTO failed me in about 10 seconds.

How you you guys deal with that? You just wait until the cabin is toasy?

Quick Reply: Do you hate your climate control?

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands