HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

DIY: LED install

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 08:53 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: DIY: LED install

Black Ice:
The stock are pretty bright, but the LEDs are more of a blue, while the stocks are yellowish. You can always pop off the covers and check.

Old 02-01-2008, 08:32 AM

UPDATE: One of the license plate LEDs that I had was flickering and wouldn't work sometimes. The person I bought them from is going to send me a replacement at no charge. I am also going to be upgrading the rest of my lights.

Here is what I'll be ordering:
Front Parking Light/ Front Turn Signal: 1157A
Rear Turn Signal: 7440
Tail Light: 168
Stop Light: 7443
Back up Light: 7440
Rear sidemarker: 194

Total:
2X 1157A
4X 7440
2X 168
2X 7443
2X 194

EDIT: The eBay user I bought the LEDs from (warden_jp or something) does not carry 1157A (amber). I have purchased all the others from him and will post pics.

Last edited by giantquesadilla; 02-02-2008 at 08:30 AM.
Old 02-19-2008, 03:30 PM

I recently installed some more LEDs, so I am doing an update to my DIY.
These are the lights I replaced:
Rear Sidemarkers
Taillights
Taillights/Brake Lights
Backup lights

For the tail lights that are on the trunk lid, you will need to remove the trunk lid cover. (Same way as done above for the license plate lights)

Next, you will need to twist the light out of the socket and disconnect the bulb from the socket.

old bulb:

Place the new LED in and screw the socket back in.
New LED:

Do the same on the other side and put the cover back on, then your done with the trunk lid taillights!

For the rest of the lights, you may need to remove the side trunk covering. For demonstration purposes I have it removed. It makes things easier, but is not necessary. There are four plastic screws that you can remove with a flathead screwdriver and one that you need to pry out. (May vary on non-hybrid).

Once you have the cover off, your light socket should look like this:

Remove take note of which light bulbs go in which socket and remove them, or remove them one at a time.

Simply remove the incandescent bulbs and insert the LED bulbs as you did previously.

Here is a comparison: Left half LEDs, right stock lights:

(the LEDs look lower, because of the angle they reflect at. They are MUCH brighter at night when you are using them)

BE SURE TO CHECK ALL OF YOUR LIGHTS BEFORE DRIVING. YOU ARE DOING THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK AND I ASSUME NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR DAMAGE TO YOU OR YOUR CAR AS A RESULT OF THIS!!!

Old 02-22-2008, 07:17 AM
Active Enthusiast

may i know if the Taillights/Brake Lights white or red?

mine install months back shorted the cct that cause the clock display backlight dim
when depress the brake, i've since remove them

Old 02-22-2008, 01:09 PM

I used red. What is the CCT? I haven't had any problems yet, but I'll post up if I encounter any.

Old 03-22-2008, 03:49 PM
Active Enthusiast

Colby,

Did you have any issues with the turn signal bulbs being LEDs? I had read in the past that they sometimes are issues due to the blinking. I'm debating replacing my bulbs and wanted to make sure you haven't had any issues with yours.

Thanks
Matt

Old 03-22-2008, 05:09 PM

Matt:
I did have issues with the turn signals. With the LED in place, they were hyperblinking. There are ways around this, but I simply didn't replace the turn signals. All the other lights are fine (I have not tested the DRLs though) and they produce no problem lights or anything. If you do replace your bulbs, I don't recommend doing the turn signals.

Old 03-22-2008, 06:25 PM
Hybrid Owner

Off the hybrid topic, I passed a Dodge Ram pickup with LED lights that were seriously malfunctioning. They weren't very bright, and when the driver applied the brakes they blinked at such a high rate that it was almost invisible.

Everyone who goes this route, please check your lights frequently to make sure they are not malfunctioning. We don't need to lose any owners!

Old 03-23-2008, 11:31 AM
Active Enthusiast

Totally agreed that safety should always be the #1 concern for any and all modifications, not only for the driver but also for the other drivers on the road.

I did some research quickly today on the whole LED turn signal....turns out you need a resistor to put the blinking in its place. Something to do with currents and draw and what not. Guess I need to increase my knowledge on electrical stuff! The resistors online were only around $10 for each "blinker". There was one that could do both at one site I saw.

I'll take the mods into consideration for now, but definitely like the idea of the LEDs.

Old 03-23-2008, 11:41 AM

Yeah. I don't think that the resistors are worth the money. It's easier to just leave a traditional bulb in there.

Quick Reply: DIY: LED install

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands