HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Difficulties cranking after the weekend

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 07:43 PM
Enthusiast
Cool Difficulties cranking after the weekend

Hello everyone!

I own a 2006 model Civic Hybrid with around 55,000 miles on it.

I'm trying to figure out a solution to a problem I have come across recently. It seems my car does not crank as quickly after sitting a day or two in the garage.

I generally drive to work during the week and keep my car parked over the weekend.

On a Monday morning, I have to sometimes try a couple of times before the engine starts. I don't have this problem later in the day or throughout the rest of the week.

The 12 volt starter battery was replaced by the dealership not too long ago, since the previous battery went bad.

I also tried charging the 12 volt battery with a battery charger in hopes that it might be a weak battery.

Any ideas? Suggestions?

Thanks!

Old 08-04-2011, 07:19 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Difficulties cranking after the weekend

Under normal circumstances the 12 volt battery is not used to start the engine, it's started by the electric motor using the hybrid battery. Do you actually hear the starter motor cranking, if so, there is something wrong. I don't remember the circumstances where the 12 volt battery is used to start the engine, I'm sure someone else will be able to answer that.

Old 08-07-2011, 02:11 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Difficulties cranking after the weekend

My car is doing the same exact thing after 2 days of not driving it. It started after the last firmware update. It's also doing the battery drop after 2 or 3mi, 33MPG and total lack of power after first started while it recalibrates.

Honda says it's the normal behavior for a 2006 HCH and that I should not compare it with a new one.

61K miles on the pice of crap