HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Dealer told me they dont know how to fix it!

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 05:48 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Dealer told me they dont know how to fix it!

Originally Posted by wick1ert
don't know if this was checked into or not, or if it's a possibility....but harold makes mention of a fan that helps move cooler air to the pack and hotter air out....could the fan possibly have siezed up and this is causing the pack to overheat? i doubt this would be the first item any mechanic would look at....just a thought, but i'm no expert on the inner workings of the car!
I checked the fans operation the other day, its moving air.

Old 10-09-2008, 07:25 AM
Active Enthusiast

I was following your post for quite a while and I’ve check with my local distributor regards to your issue
But all turn up blank as they too have no answer for you as it quite impossible for any remote assistance.

You didn’t mention IMA fail light up on your dash so that’s only two possibilities mentioned in my Honda Speechless Assist,

Namely:-
1 DTC code P1435 (58) – Charge/Discharge Balance Malfunction
2 DTC code U0111 (100) – F-CAN Malfunction (Battery Condition Monitor (BCM) module-Motor Control Module (MCM))

I need lots of your inputs and confirmation before we can trouble shoot further and end your misfortune. Don’t be discourage by the
incompetence of certain Honda representative as most I know don’t have access to “great knowledge” and they solve daily issues via
peer assistance or guesstimate.

I was puzzle why most point the fault to AC, naturally if the IMA fail AC surely don’t work as they depend greatly on that the run properly
Most AC functions controlled by IPU or Intelligent Power Unit or the IMA pack at the rear most referred.

The two vents at the rear actual name – IPU module air duct – suck air to the IPU module fan which cool the entire IPU system.

The above may not be conclusive but the tip of the iceberg to cure the irritating bugs of yours. Please be patience while we walk thru the possibility together.

i remember i post these earlier but gone missing so i repost again

Old 10-09-2008, 08:11 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bengteck
I was following your post for quite a while and I’ve check with my local distributor regards to your issue
But all turn up blank as they too have no answer for you as it quite impossible for any remote assistance.

You didn’t mention IMA fail light up on your dash so that’s only two possibilities mentioned in my Honda Speechless Assist,

Namely:-
1 DTC code P1435 (58) – Charge/Discharge Balance Malfunction
2 DTC code U0111 (100) – F-CAN Malfunction (Battery Condition Monitor (BCM) module-Motor Control Module (MCM))

I need lots of your inputs and confirmation before we can trouble shoot further and end your misfortune. Don’t be discourage by the
incompetence of certain Honda representative as most I know don’t have access to “great knowledge” and they solve daily issues via
peer assistance or guesstimate.

I was puzzle why most point the fault to AC, naturally if the IMA fail AC surely don’t work as they depend greatly on that the run properly
Most AC functions controlled by IPU or Intelligent Power Unit or the IMA pack at the rear most referred.

The two vents at the rear actual name – IPU module air duct – suck air to the IPU module fan which cool the entire IPU system.

The above may not be conclusive but the tip of the iceberg to cure the irritating bugs of yours. Please be patience while we walk thru the possibility together.

i remember i post these earlier but gone missing so i repost again
i will try to answer the questions you ask as I understand them
  • There are no lights on the dash and no codes in the computer
  • Its not the incompetence of one honda representative, but that of the regional service manager, the dealer service manager, the dealer service personnel and 3 customer satisfaction people who have been blowing me off.
  • All the vents are clear and the fan in the battery pack is working properly
  • as the weather cools off out here the car will start working better and better, this is why i tried to get them to look at it before the summer ended, but they are dragging their feet as they dont want to have to address this issue.
  • again the Honda number for the problem is: 15367
  • here is a link at the top of the paperwork they gave me. I cant make it work http://www.ahmtecps01.com/techline_w.../USA/15367.htm
the problem symptoms as listed by honda are as follows
IMA loses assist or has low assist
IMA Battery wont charge or fully charge
IMA battery level guage drops suddely while driving
IMA battery level drops when parked
Low Power
Solution: Under investigation, please ask the following questions about the vehicle and conditions.

Here are the questions and my answers to them. The questions from honda are in red my answers are in green. clarification added after this was faxed back to honda is in blue
  1. What was the ambient temperature at the time of the problem
    1. As low as 90 Degrees F since this it has happened at 80 degrees F
  2. How long was the vehicle driven before the problem occurred?
    1. Sometimes immediately sometimes it takes a few miles, never more than 4 miles though.
  3. How many total occupants in the vehicle at the time of the problem?
    1. As few as driver only as many as 5. It defiantly happens more frequently with 3 or more people in the car.
  4. What were the driving conditions before the problem occurred? Driving in Hills? Freeway? Stop and Go? Idling? Auto-stop? Going up a driveway?
    1. Flat asphalt
    2. No hills
    3. No freeway
    4. Typical suburban driving, some stop and go
    5. I have had the symptoms when idling, State of charge dropped from several bars to one and the car could hardly move it’s self.
    6. I have had the state of charge drop rapidly while in auto-stop
    7. Never gone up a driveway and experienced the problems
  5. What is the customers daily drive cycle? Mileage/travel time/hills
    1. I drive about 35 miles each way to work
    2. My commute takes about 50 minutes
    3. There is only one “hill” I climb about 800 feet over about 10 miles on my way home, and obviously go down the same hill on the way to work. I usually take a few of my coworkers out to lunch in my car each day, this is primarily when I experience the issues. This is usually flat ground and about a 10-15 mile round trip.
  6. Is the Drive cycle the same every day or varied
    1. It is very similar each day.
  7. Was the AC in use?
    1. Yes and No
  8. Was the A/C if used set to fresh or recirculate?
    1. I have had the problem with each setting
  9. Windows up or down?
    1. Up and down
  10. Before the problem occurred, how long was the vehicle parked?
    1. Usually about 4 hours, but this has proved to be irrelevant
  11. How many bars were showing on the battery level gauge when the vehicle was parked?
    1. Usually more than half of them, often around ¾, in the morning. If i park it at a resturant for lunch it typicall has 0 sometimes 1.
  12. How many bars were showing on the battery level gauge when the vehicle was started?
    1. Usually less than half, every now and then only a couple
  13. Where was the vehicle parked? Outside in direct sunlight or shade? Or in a garage?
    1. Initially it was outside in the sun, then the dealer had me start putting a shade in the back window, which did nothing to relieve the symptoms, I also added fans in the windows to circulate the hot air out, this also did nothing.
  14. When the engine was started did it start on the IMA motor or the 12v starter?
    1. Always on the IMA motor.
  15. How long did it take for the IMA batter level to return to normal from discharged?
    1. Usually not until some of the longer high speed stretches on my commute home from work. Sometimes not until I drive in the cool air of the next morning.
  16. What is the condition of the 12v battery?
    1. Unsure, its 2 years old and the factory original battery.
Something of note that is probably relevant. The vehicle used to initiate a forced regeneration when cruising in low load situations when the battery was drained a bit. Now there is never a forced regeneration while driving. The only time it charged is if the gas pedal is totally released or the brakes are applied.

Old 10-09-2008, 02:32 PM
Wo ai Zheng!

twuelfing, from the notes you just gave, my gut feeling is that you either have at least one of the NiMH cell turned toasty, or you've got a short somewhere in the electrical system. I don't have schematics or a service manual (where's msantos when you need him), but given that there are no IMA faults, I would suspect that it's somewhere in the 12V system, maybe even the old-school battery itself.

Old 10-09-2008, 04:37 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mmrmnhrm
twuelfing, from the notes you just gave, my gut feeling is that you either have at least one of the NiMH cell turned toasty, or you've got a short somewhere in the electrical system. I don't have schematics or a service manual (where's msantos when you need him), but given that there are no IMA faults, I would suspect that it's somewhere in the 12V system, maybe even the old-school battery itself.
i have the service manual, but without an error code there is nothing to pursue for a diagnosis. I very seriously doubt its the 12v system though.

Old 10-10-2008, 05:37 PM
Active Enthusiast

So I talked to honda again today.
basically they said its normal for the car to shut down when its hot out. They said losing all power, not charging and hot AC are all part of owning a hybrid.

They wont fix it, they wont address it and they dont care. I am contacting a lawyer and if thats going to cost a lot I am just going to trade it in and some other person can deal with it.

Anyone want a 2007 civic hybrid?

Old 10-10-2008, 06:13 PM
Wo ai Zheng!

Originally Posted by twuelfing
I very seriously doubt its the 12v system though.
Why do you say that? If one of the cells in the 12V battery has gone bad, what you're going through could certainly be a symptom. The car keeps the 12V running (including charging the 12V battery) by leeching off the 158V NiMH pack via a DC-to-DC converter. If one of the 12V battery cells has gone bad, it would continually suck charge current from the converter, but since the NiMH pack is functioning, you get no IMA fault, and since the DC/DC converter is running correctly (and thus, the bus voltage is where it should be), you get no 12V fault, either. If you have an amp clamp, it's an easy enough theory to test. Turn off the car, and loop around the negative lead coming from the 12V battery. If there's anything more than a couple of milliamps, we've found our problem. If you're feeling a little more adventurous, you could do the same with the -12V wire coming off the DC/DC converter. Expect to see maybe an amp, since it has to power the various security systems and whatnot, but if you're getting significant power flow, then again, we've got someplace to look.

Old 10-10-2008, 06:18 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mmrmnhrm
Why do you say that? If one of the cells in the 12V battery has gone bad, what you're going through could certainly be a symptom.
if this were the case if the car sat for 2 days wouldn't both packs be dead and the car wouldnt start right?

also I have access to a scanner this weekend, either later tonight or tomorrow i will post the documents from honda.

Old 10-11-2008, 02:22 AM
Active Enthusiast

what you post not useful to me at all, most are repeat of your earlier woes
if car not with you kinda hard to trouble shoot base on memories

i've asked again my local honda. he cannot intervene other distributorship
when i ask him to contact japan directly as his jap rep take care of diff country
its outside the rep protocol to interfere, that line end here

you may wish to contact honda area or country office as spending legal fee the last thing you may wish to touch

just go and trouble all honda office you can lay your hands on and see how it goes

btw 15367 rings no bell, if you have the service manual look harder
start on the two items i suggested

if you can get OBD2 scanner, do it with engine off but at II postion

PS - Sorsha has the same story - check it out

Last edited by bengteck; 10-11-2008 at 02:38 AM.
Old 10-11-2008, 05:32 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bengteck
what you post not useful to me at all, most are repeat of your earlier woes
if car not with you kinda hard to trouble shoot base on memories

you may wish to contact honda area or country office as spending legal fee the last thing you may wish to touch

just go and trouble all honda office you can lay your hands on and see how it goes

btw 15367 rings no bell, if you have the service manual look harder
start on the two items i suggested

PS - Sorsha has the same story - check it out
15367 is the techline knowledge base issue number, not an error code.

I have talked to honda corporate many times, they simply dont care, the dealer has nothing more to offer, there is no other route for me to go.
At this point I am working on a mini documentary to show the problems the car has been having and hondas response, including recordings of their conversations with me.

They are sticking hard to the idea that my car is working properly, but the car is downright dangerous at times and the gas millage has plummeted.

Quick Reply: Dealer told me they dont know how to fix it!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands