HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Dead battery, then brake system troubles

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 07:10 AM
Eco Accelerometrist
Default Re: Dead battery, then brake system troubles

Rick, that is the wisest thing you can do.

There are many affordable battery maintainers that will provide the trickle charge as long as you leave them plugged for the duration of your absence. If a plug-in is not possible or practical then "biting the bullet" and installing a solar kit is the only other option in your case.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 07-11-2008, 09:20 AM
Enthusiast

MSantos

Thanks... no need to "bite the bullet" plug is available. I will start looking for a trickle charger that will work, must be able to be outside (maybe in a water proof inclosure). Also, the battery leads will need to find their way in to the engine compartment to the terminals.

Any ideas?

Rick

Old 07-11-2008, 09:56 AM
Eco Accelerometrist

I would elect to mount the battery tender inside the engine compartment (they are usually small) and then I would run the cord to the front grille and and leave it there... ready to be plugged in with an additional extension cord - similar to a block heater installation.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 07-11-2008, 10:19 AM
Joe Go Slow!

Slightly unrelated, the whole reason I was stressed about getting my car back in time was for the local ABC affiliate's news story on hypermiling. My segment aired last night if you're interested in seeing it. (I'm Jason).

http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?section=news/local&id=6257297

Old 07-11-2008, 10:58 AM
Eco Accelerometrist

That was a beautiful piece and nicely done !!!

Of course, to mess it all up we had to hear from the folks at AAA.

Anyhow, for those who may not be aware: There's been a lot of flack and shelling between the AAA and the mainstream hypermiling community (CleanMPG) so it is not surprising that they had to have a presence in your segment. You did defuse their claims quite well though.

Well done Jason !!!!

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 07-11-2008, 05:11 PM
Joe Go Slow!

Why thank you! Sorry to hear the AAA is giving the community a hard time! Where can I go read up on that? I'm an AAA member today, but maybe I want to revoke my membership if they're anti-HM.

Old 07-11-2008, 05:20 PM
Eco Accelerometrist

You can pick it all up at www.CleanMPG.com as there are dozens of threads detailing the exchanges. You can also Google it as well to get a glimpse of what started it all.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 07-11-2008, 07:39 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JoeFuture
Slightly unrelated, the whole reason I was stressed about getting my car back in time was for the local ABC affiliate's news story on hypermiling. My segment aired last night if you're interested in seeing it. (I'm Jason).

http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?se...cal&id=6257297

LOL when they show the results of the newscaster trying your tips they show a 73 but it's got an MPH beside it, not MPG. He wasn't listening very well about slowing down, was he?

Old 07-11-2008, 09:23 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JoeFuture

Bottom line, don't let your battery die.
There is a product that you install on your 12v that will automatically disconnect the current if the voltage drops below a certain pre-set.

I have one around somewhere that I attempted to install on our van, but it would not fit purely for geometric reasons and I did not follow-through with getting longer cables.

Old 07-12-2008, 05:45 AM
Enthusiast

holicow

Would that help? Most battery minders (trickle chargers) have a auto cut off to prevent over charge, if that is what is required. If the product " automatically disconnect (s) the current if the voltage drops below a certain pre-set". It may save the 12 v battery from discharge, but wouldn't the cars always on systems be cut off power, which is what I am trying to avoid?

Rick

Quick Reply: Dead battery, then brake system troubles

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands