HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Dead battery, then brake system troubles

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 06:20 PM
Joe Go Slow!
Default Dead battery, then brake system troubles

Yesterday, I accidentally left my keys in the ignition turned enough to roll my windows up (then got distracted & left for the day in the other car!).

After jump-starting the battery just like I have with any other car, I noticed that my ABS System light and Brake lights are on. The car isn't going into Auto Idle Stop when I drive anymore, and there's a buzz of 1 second or so when I turn the car off.

According to the owner's manual, this suggests that the power assist system has malfunctioned. Could this be related to the dead battery? Is this something I could have done, or should I expect this to be covered under my extended warranty? I only have about 32k miles on it (2006 HCH II).

I'm taking it to the dealer to get it checked out, but I'd love to hear some other thoughts on what might be going on before they convince me it's my fault and I have to pay big $$$ to get it fixed.

thanks all
/jf

Old 07-06-2008, 08:24 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Dead battery, then brake system troubles

Let it charge completely before taking it in. You can safely do this by letting it idle in the driveway for a while (carbon footprint notwithstanding).

Does it drive normally?

Old 07-07-2008, 04:05 AM
Joe Go Slow!

Thanks - I'll try that. Other than not auto stopping, it seems to be idling a bit rough. I haven't noticed any problems with my brakes yet. I've driven about 50 miles since the incident.

Old 07-07-2008, 07:51 AM
Wo ai Zheng!

Are you getting any regen while driving/braking?

Old 07-10-2008, 08:44 AM
Joe Go Slow!

I was getting regen, but not auto-stop. After waiting 2 days for parts, they replaced a control module and everything's working perfectly now. The scary part is that they think a power surge during the jump is what caused the problem. Fine w/ me while its under warranty, but what about when the warranty runs out?

They also ordered my control arm replacement kit, but who knows how long that will take to get...

I talked to another 2006 HCH-II owner this week who couldn't start his car after his battery died because the security system had lost its memory and wouldn't recognize his key.

Bottom line, don't let your battery die.

Old 07-10-2008, 09:26 AM
Enthusiast

Good advise but as I sometimes go south for winter w/out the HCH II, the car might need a charge or jump on my spring return. Any advice would be helpful. Can I put a trickle charger on it for the winter?

Last edited by rpecora; 07-11-2008 at 03:31 AM.
Old 07-10-2008, 11:19 AM
Eco Accelerometrist

Originally Posted by JoeFuture
Bottom line, don't let your battery die.
Good advice !!!

Ahhh... a little solar panel to help keep it healthy and long lived does not hurt either, does it?

http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showt...ht=solar+panel

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 07-11-2008, 04:56 AM
Enthusiast

Where does one buy the solar panels MSantos refers to? Is there any type of windshield shade the would be a solar panel to plug in to the dashboard acc. outlet?

Old 07-11-2008, 05:10 AM
Eco Accelerometrist

Hi Rick;

Unfortunately, you cannot plug a solar panel into the accessories outlet since the outlets are totally disconnected from the 12V system as soon as the car is off and the key is removed from the ignition. ::

I have no doubt some small company will fashion a sun-shade with similar abilities at some point. For now you can look them up in a variety of online places including eBay.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 07-11-2008, 05:57 AM
Enthusiast

MSantos

Thanks.... as I winter in Florida and HCH II stays outside in mild winter in Maryland my need is to prevent any dead battery on my spring return north. How about a trickle charger attached directly to the under hood 12v battery?

Rick

Last edited by rpecora; 07-11-2008 at 05:58 AM. Reason: sp

Quick Reply: Dead battery, then brake system troubles

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands