HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Car Jacked!

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 11:02 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Car Jacked!

Originally Posted by msantos
Sure we do.

A GPS tracking device can be bought on eBay for $200 or less. Just put it in the car in a good spot. If something happens to the car we just sit back and then send the cops to the location where the car is. ;

Cheers;

MSantos
What you're talking about won't help you in this case. Not unless you know where to find and retrieve the unit after the car is stolen. If you knew that you wouldn't need to spend the 200 beans

Old 05-03-2007, 11:42 AM
Eco Accelerometrist

Sorry, I was not referring to a GPS logger. Instead, I was talking about a GPS tracker.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 05-03-2007, 10:37 PM
Active Enthusiast

Sorry, I was not referring to a GPS logger. Instead, I was talking about a GPS tracker.

Cheers;

MSantos
Then that's more than $200. You're talking about having to sign up for monthly service too for realtime tracking. The other alternative is a GPS cell phone tracker. That needs to be plugged in as battery only lasts a short while, but it's cheaper.

Old 05-04-2007, 05:20 AM
Eco Accelerometrist

You're getting closer SrfCity.

The good thing about eBay: If you look carefuly you're never too far from a good deal.
All my company vehicles have one of these trackers installed. Very good stuff indeed.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 05-04-2007, 08:40 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I have LoJack installed in all my vehicles. I figure with auto theft so high in the metro Phoenix area, it would be good insurance. The only drawback that I find is when I discover my vehicle is gone, I have to call the police and wait for them to arrive. A stolen car report is low on the list of priorities. It could be hours before a unit arrives. Then, after the report is filed, the police has to call LoJack to have them turn on the tracking device. Then, hopefully a police unit with a receiver in his car will be close enough to my vehicle to pick up on the LoJack transmitter. By the time all this happens, it could be hours after discovering my car is gone. By then, especially with Mexico so close away, I may be out of luck. My hopes would be that my car is recovered before any damage is done. But if my car were to be damaged, I hope it does make it's way across the border...

Several years ago, I lived in an apartment complex in Glendale, AZ. I saw a motorcycle parked outside of my building that looked just like a bike belonging to a buddy of mine that was stolen several months prior! However, the bike was repainted. There were a few custom items on the bike that were rare and were easily identifiable as belonging to my friend's bike. I called the police to report that I believed I discovered a stolen motorcycle in my apartment complex parking lot. The operator told me an officer would be by to check it out. Over two hours later, I finally get a knock on my door. It was the cops. They said they didn't see any bikes in the parking lot. No kidding? It was hours since I called. Maybe the guy finally got tired of waiting for you guys to arrest him and just decided to go home? They didn't think that was funny. I did take down the plate number. It belonged to a 90's model bike. The one parked outside my apartment that night was a 2001. But without actually seeing the bike, the cops said there was nothing they could do about it. They could drive by the house that bike was registered to, but if they didn't see the bike in the driveway, they couldn't go up and ask to see it.

Old 05-04-2007, 08:53 AM

I was under the impression that the HCH 2 would not start without the ignition key, that comes with the car? Fuel pump needs ok from chip in key! I thought Honda had solved the theft problem but I guess not.

Old 05-04-2007, 09:22 AM
Active Enthusiast

You're getting closer SrfCity.

The good thing about eBay: If you look carefuly you're never too far from a good deal.
All my company vehicles have one of these trackers installed. Very good stuff indeed.

Cheers;

MSantos
I'm curious to see your $200 realtime GPS tracker then? What are you paying extra for monthly service? Or am I not supposed to ask the hard questions and put you on the spot? Link please?

Old 05-04-2007, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Harold
I was under the impression that the HCH 2 would not start without the ignition key, that comes with the car? Fuel pump needs ok from chip in key! I thought Honda had solved the theft problem but I guess not.

this is true (to a point)... hence the rise in car jackings.

Old 05-04-2007, 12:09 PM

Sorry, I forgot he was car jacked

Old 07-29-2007, 11:03 PM

... which is exactly why I feel the added anti-theft systems are actually more dangerous than not having them. I would MUCH rather have someone steal my car by themselves than carjack me or break into my house for the keys. The more thieves know they can't drive the car without the keys, the more likely they are to come after me for the keys, bringing me one step closer to harm's way. No thanks. I'll pass on the added "security" and in the process I'll enjoy getting back to a plain flat metal key. Fat chance nowadays, but a boy can always dream. :-)