HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

cabin sounds

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 08:15 AM
Enthusiast
Default cabin sounds

Curious minds want to know what the following sounds are:

-- when removing just a bit of foot pressure on the brake but not completely
removing, there is a high pitched signal before the engine starts.

-- every minute or so, for 5 seconds, there is a buzzing sound. Sounds
as if it's coming from the driver's side dash board, or maybe brake
pedal area.

None of these sounds seems abnormal and have always occurred. I'm wondering what system is generating these sounds and why.

Old 08-22-2007, 11:43 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: cabin sounds

I also wanted to know what that high-pitched noise was. Anyone know?

Old 08-22-2007, 12:05 PM
Wo ai Zheng!

Haven't heard it on mine, but very high pitched whines like that are often a sign of high-frequency power electronic switching. Could be the IMA spinning up the crankshaft.

Old 08-22-2007, 01:08 PM
AJR
Active Enthusiast

I hear it quite often when I try to inch forward while in AutoStop (if I'm on any type of downslope). I can't say why it makes the noise, but I use it as a guide for how much pressure to let off the brake before it will restart the ICE. On occasion I still hear a whining noise that sounds like an ambulance is coming down the street when I'm decelerating below 20 with pressure applied to the brake (I have a post here at GH about it when I first got the car). I am very attuned to those high-pitched electronic feedback noises. I used to walk into my computer classes back in high school and hear the noise coming from the monitors and be able to walk directly to the one that was still turned on when the computer itself was off (and no, I can't hear a dog whistle ).

Old 08-23-2007, 07:00 AM
Enthusiast

Not to hijack the thread, but, I noticed this morning that when I pushed on the brake pedal it lets out a swoosh noise. From my past experience, on other vehicles, this would indicate that the brake booster has gone bad. Has anybody else heard this? Do me a favor and next time your in your hybrid, push on the brake gently and then hard (make sure the radio is off) and see if you hear the swoosh noise. I only have 1,400 miles on the car, I sure hope that the brake booster isn't bad. and to stick with the original question, I always hear the whining noise, it just reminds me of how cool it is to be driving a hybrid!

Old 08-23-2007, 11:01 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by anLS1x2
Not to hijack the thread, but, I noticed this morning that when I pushed on the brake pedal it lets out a swoosh noise. From my past experience, on other vehicles, this would indicate that the brake booster has gone bad. Has anybody else heard this? Do me a favor and next time your in your hybrid, push on the brake gently and then hard (make sure the radio is off) and see if you hear the swoosh noise. I only have 1,400 miles on the car, I sure hope that the brake booster isn't bad. and to stick with the original question, I always hear the whining noise, it just reminds me of how cool it is to be driving a hybrid!
Not sure if your noise is similar to the 'fart' noise that many of us habe noted, and suspect it is associated with the ABS. Note that it happens when you brake hard.

Otherwise, I'm not actually familiar with the other whining noises that were mentioned.

Old 03-19-2008, 01:50 PM
Enthusiast

Bringing this post back from the dead!

I have a very annoying "ticking" noise that happens pretty much everyday but at random times and in a definite random pattern. Sounds like it is coming from the steering wheel or in the dash on the driver's side. Anybody else have this problem?

Old 03-19-2008, 02:20 PM
Part Time Hybrids

Anger any Ex's lately?

Could be a bomb.