HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Bike rack options for the HCH II?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 08:58 AM
Enthusiast
Default Bike rack options for the HCH II?

Does anyone here have a bike rack that they use on the HCH II? I would like to get one but am unsure of where to go or what to look for.

Any help would be appreciated!

Old 05-20-2007, 05:38 PM
Über Lord of Hypermillia
Default Re: Bike rack options for the HCH II?

Do a Google under hybrid boat anchor for options!

Old 05-20-2007, 06:08 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I have a thule roof rack on mine. But, if i were to do it again I would get a hitch mount one. The thule roof rack is noisy and hurt the fe a bit. If you get the hitch mount it isn't noisy and it is easy to remove. I just leave the roof rack on year round. It is good for my snow board in the winter and bikes in the summer.

I think somebody on this forum has a hitch on their car.

Old 05-20-2007, 06:11 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

i found the posting...

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...ight=bike+rack

Old 05-21-2007, 11:44 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by StevensDM
Does anyone here have a bike rack that they use on the HCH II? I would like to get one but am unsure of where to go or what to look for.

Any help would be appreciated!
Three options:
1. Roof rack--Expect to spend a few hundred $$ on a Yakima or Thule rack and a couple of trays. Fork mounting roof racks are by far the most secure way to bring your bike somewhere, but they will cause a fuel economy hit of +/- 10% at hwy speeds. Mounts that do not require you to take your front wheel off are easier to use, but they are a LOT less stable for your bike. Other than the fuel economy, the biggest hazard is garages and drive thrus. I put my garage door opener in the glove box every time I drive with bikes on the roof and I never use drive thrus period. Roof racks are versitile too--you can use them for a cargo box, skis or a kyayk if you aren't biking.

2. Hitch Mount--Again, expect to spend a few hundred $$. I do not like hitch racks as much because they expose your bike to traffic hazards. Also, they GENERALLY don't hold your bikes as securly as a roof rack, but there are newer tray-style racks that work pretty well. You might be limited on the number of bikes you can bring (2-3) instead of the 4 you could easily bring with a roof rack. On the positive side, hitch mounts are easy to remove when not in use.

3. Trunk mount--the worst solution of the three. On the positive side, they are easy to put on and take off, plus cheap. On the negative side, you risk damage to your car where the rack and/or bikes rub against the paint. The ones I've used are basically frames with nylon webbings that hold to the car. I've had the webbings lossen up and almost lost a bike--very scary. I would recommend either a roof or hitch mount instead.

Old 05-21-2007, 12:28 PM
Enthusiast

I had a roof mounted system on mine for a while. I had it for my kayak, but quickly found that the rack puts a significant hit on your fe(it does look very cool though ). I lost about 10 miles/gallon with the rack up there. I would suggest a hitch mount. It's much easier than the roof system to put on/remove and probably doesn't produce as much drag.

jco

Old 05-21-2007, 04:31 PM
Active Enthusiast

In re-tow hitches in general, you should probably see this thread about my conversation with my dealership and Honda Corporate.

Originally Posted by kristian

2. Hitch Mount--Again, expect to spend a few hundred $$. I do not like hitch racks as much because they expose your bike to traffic hazards. Also, they GENERALLY don't hold your bikes as securly as a roof rack, but there are newer tray-style racks that work pretty well. You might be limited on the number of bikes you can bring (2-3) instead of the 4 you could easily bring with a roof rack. On the positive side, hitch mounts are easy to remove when not in use.
While my trunk rack is no thing of beauty, I have come to peace with the fact that my car isn't a museum piece and that I use it in ways that may be counted as wear and tear. To myself, I said, get over it dude, and find ways to enjoy your car AND your bike together.

Last edited by HyMinded; 05-21-2007 at 04:42 PM.