HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Beware! Do not leave your lights on, will need tow.

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2006, 11:45 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Beware! Do not leave your lights on, will need tow.

Originally Posted by SrfCity
Pretty hard to miss the bong, bong, bong, bong, bong, even if you're on the phone. I think that the car adequately warns and any anything else could be chalked up to driver error. At any rate thanks for letting us know how bad it can get
Thanks for your post, it added absolutely nothing to the thread. It would be nice if Honda would have added the feature of auto-off headlights which is standard on my Pilot.

Old 10-20-2006, 12:37 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SrfCity
Pretty hard to miss the bong, bong, bong, bong, bong, even if you're on the phone. I think that the car adequately warns and any anything else could be chalked up to driver error. At any rate thanks for letting us know how bad it can get
This is not helpful.

I have always thought it retarded of cars to allow their batteries drained in this way. The car should be able to shut them off for you.

Old 10-20-2006, 04:38 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sactoroy
Thanks for your post, it added absolutely nothing to the thread. It would be nice if Honda would have added the feature of auto-off headlights which is standard on my Pilot.
Speaking of adding nothing to the thread.... Civics don't come with the creature comforts of the other more expensive models. If a loud warning when you turn the car off isn't enough, then I don't think it's the fault of the manufacturer. Maybe they'll change things. In the meantime I guess we'll have to assume a little responsibility

Last edited by SrfCity; 10-20-2006 at 04:46 PM.
Old 10-20-2006, 04:49 PM
Enthusiast

The 2006 sales brochure states the following:

"The Civic Hybrid's engine usally uses the IMA System's motor to start. If the IMA battery-pack charge is low or if its's very cold outside, the system has a seporate battery and starter motor to back it up"

Old 10-20-2006, 05:25 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

This is not helpful.

I have always thought it retarded of cars to allow their batteries drained in this way. The car should be able to shut them off for you.
I completely agree myself, and not just with lights but anything, including some faulty accessory load that might be putting a drain on the battery -- if the battery's capacity drops below the minimum needed to start the car, there should be an atomatic cutoff switch that cuts power to everything except what is necessary to start the engine.

Also, there was one time that I ran down the batteries on my HCH-I, because I accidentally switched the lights into "parking light" position rather than the headlight position, and there was no warning for that (and in the spot where I was parked, it wasn't very apparent from outside, so I didn't notice). A simple jump-start was effective, however -- I had some cables, and had someone else parked near me to start the car up.

Old 10-22-2006, 08:49 AM
Active Enthusiast

Chalk me up as another "What about the bong-bong-bong-bong?" I'm betting Adam Carolla would tell you to hang up and drive.

/All in good nature. I've actually locked myself out of these idiot-proof lock systems.