HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Battery refurbish in process - IMAX B6

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 05:30 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Battery refurbish in process - IMAX B6

Attached is a good 'Grid charger' article for the first gen 'Honda Insight' that I found on insightcentral. Their battery pack and voltages are lower (144V vs. 158V nominal), but the information in there is useful. They show how to add a charging connection in the trunk so you can do the grid charge in the future without taking everything apart.

After the grid charge, its good to remove do a 12V reset (pull the negative from battery for 30 seconds or the fuse to the PCM). I believe the reason is - if you left your battery at say 4 bars of charge when you shut the vehicle off, and you do a grid charge, the vehicle still believes its at 4 bars and may 'overcharge'.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
GridCharger.pdf (1.05 MB, 975 views)
Old 10-31-2011, 08:23 AM
Tight Wad

Hunter,
Thanks for the article. Very informative. I think I will use Ross' method of adding a charge point except I will use fuses instead of diodes. I think it might be useful to also connect a load to the connection point once in a while and then charge to balance. The diodes will prevent use of a load connection. Do you have any feed back on my idea?

Originally Posted by hunter44102
Attached is a good 'Grid charger' article for the first gen 'Honda Insight' that I found on insightcentral. Their battery pack and voltages are lower (144V vs. 158V nominal), but the information in there is useful. They show how to add a charging connection in the trunk so you can do the grid charge in the future without taking everything apart.

After the grid charge, its good to remove do a 12V reset (pull the negative from battery for 30 seconds or the fuse to the PCM). I believe the reason is - if you left your battery at say 4 bars of charge when you shut the vehicle off, and you do a grid charge, the vehicle still believes its at 4 bars and may 'overcharge'.

Old 10-31-2011, 08:42 AM
Active Enthusiast

Hi All,

I used the following DigiKey components to build my grid charger:

Qty (3) 285-1823-ND, 48vdc 1.1amp Power Supply ($24.87 each)

Qty (1) 945-1374-ND, 3-36vdc 350ma LED Driver ($18.82)

You need a bit of wire, a power cord, a couple of power diodes and a male and female connector. I'll put up a picture of mine soon. I'll also draw a wiring diagram.

Cheers!

Ross

Old 10-31-2011, 09:21 AM
Active Enthusiast

Jeep - I'm not sure what the purpose of the diodes are, for safety (not allowing voltage from battery to reach the connector, or to protect the grid charger). You don't need diodes if you are using that 'bio-rad' supply.

For safety I would use a 'female' connector with a plastic cover, and use wires with really good insulation (maybe 220V rated or higher).

if you want it future proof I would have the ability to connect the load. I don't think you would do the cycling as often as grid charging. Cycling was the only thing that fixed my 'fast self-discharge' issue. So I may never do it again unless I see the same symptoms (my backup starter was starting the car if it sat for a day or two).

Note: these battery's can only be fully cycled 500 times, thats why Honda runs them 20 to 80% so they can be partially cycled much more. The full cycle would only be an attempt to fix a chemistry issue so don't do it too much.

Old 10-31-2011, 12:49 PM
Active Enthusiast

Well I would say Honda should be made aware of this possess? Good going Hunter! H
Harold, sounds like things are getting serious with your battery issues!!!!

Old 10-31-2011, 01:13 PM
Active Enthusiast

You need a bit of wire, a power cord, a couple of power diodes and a male and female connector. I'll put up a picture of mine soon. I'll also draw a wiring diagram.
Ross: please post your picture and wire diagram so novices (such as me) can plan our DIY battery fix based on your excellent 'corporate knowledge' of the situation.
Thanks
Cheers
Mike

Old 11-04-2011, 11:58 AM
Tight Wad

Hunter, I see what you mean about the NEGATIVE terminal. I think you have to pull the battery in order to get to that spot to connect the battery charger. Anyway, I did and then I couldn't get the clip to stay on that little phillips screw so I put a 6 inch pig tail on it so I can clip on easier. I'm already up to 180vdc on the charger. I don't feel any heat coming off the battery. I will try a 100 watt bulb. I hope this doesn't take too long. It's raining today so I probably won't need to go anywhere so I'll do this all day and night if I have to.

Jeep -
Also, you have to connect to the POSITIVE connection (where you pulled one of the cables), but the NEGATIVE you have to get BEFORE the black relay below. You won't get your voltage from the normal negative because its relay activated by the 12V of the car. I can send you a picture pointing to it, but its basically a smaller connection down below. When you turn the breaker 'ON', you can probe it with the voltmeter.

Once you remove the two HV connections and two connectors, its just another 2 bolts holding the battery. You may want to remove the battery to keep it cooler, and you can even put a fan to blow on it. Otherwise if you leave the battery in the vehicle, just use smaller currents (less load and the minimal grid charge 350 or 400mA)

Old 11-04-2011, 12:39 PM
Active Enthusiast

good luck Jeep, I hope that battery recovers with some TLC.

You may get 1 or 2 recals when you put the battery back in and start driving. This is normal. But after that, you should not get any for a long time. (I'm on my second month with no re-cals)

Old 11-04-2011, 01:20 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hey Mike. No problems with the Pack in my HCH2. I am not sure it has ever re-called. Touch wood! I am one of the lucky ones thus far.I am just under 100,000 kilometers. H

Old 11-04-2011, 01:44 PM
Tight Wad

Well, it charged up to 185vdc and didn't seem to want to take any more so now I've connected a load to the battery in the form of a 95w light bulb. Unfortunately, 185v may be too much for this bulb. It was working fine until I moved the bulb and the (new) bulb burned out. I was also smelling something burning - but I didn't feel any heat from the wires, batteries or my connections. But that bulb is plenty hot. I may need to put a couple in parallel to handle the load. I hope not because to get to the store to buy a couple of fixtures would be a hassel.

good luck Jeep, I hope that battery recovers with some TLC.

You may get 1 or 2 recals when you put the battery back in and start driving. This is normal. But after that, you should not get any for a long time. (I'm on my second month with no re-cals)

Quick Reply: Battery refurbish in process - IMAX B6

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands