HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Auto START option

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 06:12 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Auto START option

You know those kits you can get that allow you to start your car from the warmth of your living room with a simple press of a button? Would one of those work with our HCHII's? How do they work, anyway? Do I have to leave my keys in the ignition all night long?

It's cold outside, and one of my husbandly duties is starting the car for my wife every morning. That just got me thinking...

Old 12-05-2006, 08:26 AM
Eco Accelerometrist
Default Re: Auto START option

Yes, I belive it is a requirement to leave the key in the ignition if you wish to start it with a "Command Start". This is because of the key is an integral part of the vehicle's immobilization system. Off-course we can defeat it but then if the car is ever stolen and retrieved, your insurance adjuster will want to have a chat with you.

Anyhow, many governments (state and federal) have been trying to educate people on the negatives of idleing their vehicles during the winter months. So I am definitely not going to preach on those points here.

What I will recommend is that you consider and less harmful approach to idling one's car. For instance, use a block heater and install an internal electric heater inside the car that is also ON when the car is plugged in. Additionally, you can use a timer to optimize the ON times.

Overall it is a better solution that not only polutes less and saves gas but also does not harm the vehicle's engine and the emmission control system.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 12-05-2006, 09:00 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

qualified to conduct business in the State of California.
You do leave a key in the car, but they use your valet key and have it hidden in a module. Many remote starts have to have your insert your key in the ignition before you are able to drive off. I have been thinking about doing this since park in a garage at home and at work and there isn’t a outlet to plug into. It would be great being able to start the car from the comfort of my home and office window. But, I hear it damages the starter and other components of the car. That is what I heard, but not to sure on the validity.

Old 12-05-2006, 01:42 PM

I've had a remote start in my HCH I for about 4 years now. I dont' use it a lot (maybe a dozen times in the winter since I put restrictions on when I will use it)

I only use mine when the temp is <20F (this is a self imposed limitation).

Depending on the car they make a bypass module that is completely electronic and programed with your key. You then get your key back and don't have one hanging around inside a module in your car.

They also make universal bypass modules for cars that don't have electronic bypass modules. this is the kind exbauer was talking about. Honda civics are modded a lot and they usualy have the elctronic bypass modules available.

It isn't going to hurt your car at all to have one. The only difference is that the bypass module turns the car on vs the switch at the stearing column. Also, many if not all remote starts have a built in timer so they turn off after about 15 minutes.

My remote start costs me about 5mpg per use with my commute so weigh that into any decision as well.

Old 12-06-2006, 05:40 AM
Eco Accelerometrist

A second appeal:

Knowing that many of us have environmental concerns that drove us to owning and operating a hybrid vehicle, I would again appeal that you resist installing a "remote starter".

As I had mentioned before, there are better and more sensible (if not responsible) alternatives. Please review the following links if you wish to see how much of an impact idleing a vehicle has. It is much more than an upfront personal expenditure.

Yes, the alternatives are not perfect, but like the vehicles we drive: they are a step in a better direction.

http://oee.nrcan.gc.ca/communities-g...ing.cfm?attr=8

http://www.markham.ca/markham/channe...efree/faqs.htm

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 12-06-2006, 06:48 AM

Yes, idling is bad. But some of us prefer not to get in a car at <20F that would -6C. I don't have a garage to put my car in to keep it at a reasonable temperature.

I'm sure there are better people than me that don't mind the cold and that is their choice. BTW, do those links take into acount ulev, sulev, and pzev vehicles where the air coming out of them can actualy be cleaner than what goes into them? Is it possible for cleaner cars to actualy be cleaning the air while they idle? I don't see it broken out anywhere so I'd like to know if you have seen anything.

At anyrate. I agree with the idea that idling should be avoided. I just think under certain circumstances you have to do what is right for you. For me that means a dozen or so remote starts during winter.

Old 12-06-2006, 07:11 AM
Eco Accelerometrist

Good points Tom.

However, the clean air ratings for any vehicle do not take into account the operation of the vehicle in extreme circumstances. The typical catalytic converters found in today's vehicles (including the 3 way cat in the HCH-II) do not operate at peak efficiency until they are warm enough. So during the warmup period, the vehicle is definitely not as clean as we would like to think. The matter is worsened because it is polluting alot and going nowhere while doing it.

Although it would be ideal to have a detailed breakdown of the different emission ratings, these links and contents are very relevant and remain generally correct. Also as I stated before, one other aspect of idleing that those links infer on is the damage that it causes to the vehicle and its emmission control system.

Canadians are often guilty of this even though of the average winter temps being well below -6C. In our current temps of -25C (-13F) it is typical to see vehicles idleing alot... not coincidentally, the idleing patrols are also busier issuing tickets too.

Cheers;

MSantos

Last edited by msantos; 12-06-2006 at 07:20 AM.
Old 12-06-2006, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by msantos
Good points Tom.

However, the clean air ratings for any vehicle do not take into account the operation of the vehicle in extreme circumstances. The typical catalytic converters found in today's vehicles (including the 3 way cat in the HCH-II) do not operate at peak efficiency until they are warm enough. So during the warmup period, the vehicle is definitely not as clean as we would like to think. The matter is worsened because it is polluting alot and going nowhere while doing it.
Great point

Originally Posted by msantos
Also as I stated before, one other aspect of idleing that those links infer on is the damage that it causes to the vehicle and its emmission control system.
I'm not sure any extra damage is caused because whether you are moving or not, the same amount of damage should be done.

Maybe I should get a space heater for my car and turn that on with my remote
That way I'm just draining the battery a bit to warm up the car. I expect 2 or 3 minutes with a space heater will warm it up even better than remote start. No you have me thinking

Old 12-06-2006, 09:24 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

The only damage I can imagine would be excessive corrosion to the exhaust system. An incredible amount of water condenses out of exhaust at cold temps and there wouldn't be a whole lot of flow to remove it at idle. The result would be standing water in the pipes, at least until you finally get moving. That could be a concern over the long-haul. You also have to account for engine wear/oil degradation while the engine idles but miles aren't racked up, so you probably ought to go with the "severe service" oil change interval if specified by the manufacturer.

I won't preach about idling, but I don't personally do it anymore but for 30 seconds maximum to let the oil flow in very cold weather. Usually less since it idles while I roll out of the parking lot.