HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

April's Mod

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 09:29 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: April's Mod

did you think about getting the shark fin antenna instead? they are lower profile and don't stick up as much. they are painted to match also.

Old 04-30-2008, 09:58 PM
Über Lord of Hypermillia

Not an option. The OEM antenna is function over form with the mast for AM/FM reception. Normally the antenna for that is in the windshield, but the hybrid electronics create an interference issue that require a more traditional antenna.

The Shark fin type antennas are for cars that have the am/fm antenna in the windshield or side glass.

Old 05-01-2008, 04:05 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Orient Express
Here in the US the 08 non-navi, XM equipped cars have the XM antenna painted just like on the Accord, but the Navi cars have the unpainted antenna.
Not sure about that, we just bought our 08 HCHII Non-Navi XM equipped in February and it has the standard non-painted antenna. We looked at several at the dealership (they had 9 on the lot) and all were black antennas. They had no Navi-equipped, but they had some with and without XM. Could it simply be a supply/demand issue, some have them and some don't depending on what was available at the factory during assembly? Maybe it's a regional thing, we're in NH. The mystery continues...

Old 05-01-2008, 06:13 AM
Über Lord of Hypermillia

I should clarify, the Non-Navi XM equipped non-Hybrid Civics have a painted antenna cover. The Hybrids have unpainted ones because they all have the AM/FM antenna mast.

Old 05-02-2008, 06:30 PM
Enthusiast

I installed the shark fin antenna on my 2006 and the reception is actually better than the rubber stub antenna! I like the clean look and it is painted to match.

Old 05-02-2008, 09:17 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

What is the cost of a shark fin ? H

Old 05-03-2008, 12:01 PM
Enthusiast

$81 shipped. http://www.visualgarage.com/home.html

Old 05-04-2008, 02:16 PM
Über Lord of Hypermillia
Default Shark Fin aftermarket antenna

This is a nice looking aftermarket antenna for AM/FM reception, but does not have the ability to work with the XM radio system that some Civic have.

Starting in 2007 all HCHII radios are equipped with XM receivers and this antenna does not address them. If you have a non-XM radio, then this is a fine solution.