HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Air filter

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 02:03 PM
Enthusiast
Default Air filter

hi!

I'd like to know if someone ever tried the K&N air filter and had better MPG or L/100km

since i'm in canada (Quebec) with the very cold winther, i'm looking to get all the feature to lower my L/100km.

Thks
Carl

Old 02-03-2010, 02:39 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Air filter

My experience with K&N air filters in other cars has shown them to be of minimal improvement. They will eventually save a little money over using disposable filters but from what I've read the jury is still out on whether they actually filter as well as the OEM style.

In your colder climate my advice would be to use a block heater and grille block as your top priority. Since you may still be learning how to get the most out of your new HCH, I would suggest that you familiarize yourself with how to "glide" on level or slight down grades. This involves using just the slightest pressure on the gas pedal to eliminate both 'regen' and assist. This way the car keeps its momentum better while not using any gas. The fuel consumption indicator should also show only 1 bar (on the litres/100km scale) to prove this.

Unfortunately colder weather really hammers our fuel economy. In the summer I can easily get below 5.0 L/100km but right now I'm lucky to beat 6.0 and our coastal climate is way milder than yours.

You will learn a lot from what is shared on this site, as I have.

Cheers,

Roger

Old 02-03-2010, 09:37 PM
Active Enthusiast

I live in Toronto and I best can manage 6.3 to 6.5. Not happy but considering no block heater and no front grill blockage, I guess I am getting normal consumption. Hopefully I get better in summer

Old 02-03-2010, 10:09 PM
Enthusiast

I'm not in Canada, and I don't deal with extremely cold winters in Lousiana, but I'm thinking of going to a K&N myself. If you decide to go for it, be aware that K&N's lookup tool on their site doesn't list the Civic Hybrid, but the listing for the Civic with the 1.3L engine is the same part number that came up in another auto store chain's tool for the Hybrid.
I don't like replacing the OEM filter every 6000 miles. If K&N is better and cleanable, it sounds good to me. I've never heard complaints of K&N not filtering well, or failing to protect the engine from contaminants.
However, I have never used one myself.

Old 02-04-2010, 07:42 AM
Enthusiast

thks!

but with the grille block, will the engine overheat!?, and do you have pictures to show me how it could be installed?

and how much for the block heater!?

Actually, I'm doing around 7,8L/100km in city, but around 6,5L/100km highway, with full winter tires (39psi), and a Thule box over the car.

and I have the car since nov. '08.

voilà!

Carl

Old 02-04-2010, 10:31 AM
Active Enthusiast

Carl,

There are lots of posts here and over at CleanMPG about grille blocks. Msantos has written a very comprehensive guide to winterizing the HCH and he's in Winnipeg so he knows what cold is all about!!

Mine is simply foam water pipe insulation for 3/4" pipe which is about 2" outside diameter. It's cheap and easy to cut with scissors to slip over the bars in the lower grille opening. If you're worried about it coming loose use some twist ties or wire zip straps. There is no worry about overheating below +10C (50F). I don't cover the upper grille opening but some may do that also.

Block heaters are about $150 + labour. I don't use one but those that do have been satisfied with the results. Also, make sure you have 0w-20 oil. I use synthetic, however I'm finding the very popular Mobil1 impossible to locate but have seen some Pennzoil in that grade.

As far as driving around with a ski box on the roof, you have to realize that kills your highway MPG. However, I hope you are making good use of it. We're watching the preparations for the Winter Olympics right now and the lack of snow on the mountain where the snowboarding will be held. Fortunately the other venues are at Whistler which has plenty of snow because of the higher elevation.

As I said, there is a wealth of info to be had if you take the time to look for it.

I'm a long time Honda fan and really enjoy the more engaging driving experience with the HCHII.

Good luck!

Old 02-04-2010, 12:19 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

If you follow the Maintenance Minder the interval for Air Filter change is quite a bit more than 6000 miles, more like 20000~24000 in our experience. That said, I tend to jump in and change it a bit more often. I used K&N on a bike, and one of my sons got "talked into" using a K&N on his car. My 2 cents: not worth it, a hassle to oil, and if "incorrectly" oiled might actually flow less air. I just stick with the Honda filter.