HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Air / Cabin Filter

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 09:03 PM
AJR
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Oil Filters

Originally Posted by Orient Express
I do find it curious that the filter change is not in lock step with the oil change, especially since the filter holds about a pint of the old oil that does not get removed unless the filter is removed and drained. And if you are going to do that what is $4 for a fresh filter?
I've never done an oil change without changing the filter. What's the point of mixing some old oil that's left in the filter with new oil? As you say it's only $4 to $5 additional. Plus I don't see leaving an oil filter in for 15-20K miles... isn't there more of a chance of it failing or leaking when it's in for that long?!? Anyway, I will always change the filter with the oil.

Old 06-02-2007, 09:41 PM
Happy Camper Enthusiast
Default Re: Oil Filters

Originally Posted by AJR
I've never done an oil change without changing the filter. What's the point of mixing some old oil that's left in the filter with new oil? As you say it's only $4 to $5 additional. Plus I don't see leaving an oil filter in for 15-20K miles... isn't there more of a chance of it failing or leaking when it's in for that long?!? Anyway, I will always change the filter with the oil.
Right there with you on changing the filter. For me it's not so much a failure/leakage problem (I'm sure the case and gasket are good for lots more miles than 20,000) than simply the filter loading up with contaminants. Filter performance degrades *faster* than the oil performance. People who run loooong change intervals (for instance, with Amsoil) of like 20-25000 miles will still change the filter after 10-12000 miles. (The filter is always higher than the pan, so you only lose the oil actually in the filter when you do this.) I would never, ever, change oil without changing the filter.

Perhaps if I were a Honda maintenance tech I'd know otherwise, and I understand that by the manual, the filter is only a "B" maintenance item. But it's just too counterintuitive for me, especially given the beating this engine takes when it's always having to bring the oil back up from the pan after every autostop. I know the Honda engineers have that one covered and it's clear engine longevity isn't affected, but if you want the lowest possible engine wear rather than acceptably low engine wear, even the water-weight oil we use needs all the help it can get. The new filter's worth it.

Cheers --
Doug

Old 06-04-2007, 12:23 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Air / Cabin Filter

Originally Posted by mmrmnhrm
This is the correct filter. I will note that after putting it in mine, I did not notice any huge jump in overall FE. There was a perceived improvement in response when I had to stomp the gas, but I would be hard pressed to assign a numerical value to it.

Thanks..and FYI K&N says the Part Number is 33-2348. And thats what I ordered. any improvement in power or fuel efficiency would be GREAT.