HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Aftermarket GPS questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 11:32 AM
AJR
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Aftermarket GPS questions

I didn't get my HCH2 with navi because I already had a Garmin StreetPilot III which I love and have used quite extensively. The map updates are easy to do and inexpensive as well. I have wanted to upgrade to the 2610 for awhile since it does have an easier touch screen, but I'm so used to putting in an address in the SPIII that it only takes less than a minute to do. You can find a SPIII or 2610 on ebay for under $300. The 2610 is a little more compact and would be easier to mount permanently somewhere, but the bean bag is still the same size if you want to put it on your dash (I do).

My only complaint is that if I have to turn off the car for a minute to stop in a store, or turn the key to the accessory position then restart the car, the GPS goes off. I used to leave the SPIII on when using it in my cavalier (whether in the car or in the house). When I pulled up to a destination, I would punch in the next address, then get out of the car and let it calculate the directions while I did what I needed to. Then when I got back in the car I was able to just go. I've thought about making the 12V accessory jack under the stereo "always on" using instructions I remember seeing on greenhybrid. At times I have accidently left the GPS on overnight in the cavalier without any problems.

Old 07-20-2007, 04:51 PM
Enthusiast

I have a Tom Tom One. Unit works great but I was VERY disappointed in the "new" maps.

Seems that they changed map vendors when they "upgraded" the maps. The "new" maps are older than the "old" maps -- based on my travels up and down the east coast I'm guessing the "new" maps are about 5-6 years out of date.

Old 07-22-2007, 06:49 AM
Enthusiast

Unit works great but I was VERY disappointed in the "new" maps.
I presume you are referring to the v6.65 maps. Many users have switched back to the previous version. Check around the forum on http://www.tomtomforums.com/

Map accuracy seems to vary by region. Garmin users report similar problems. Luckily, the maps in my area are OK.

Old 07-25-2007, 09:42 AM
Hybrid-Hugger

to add my reply, I run an HP ipaq Travel Companion (running TomTom). It comes with a window mount that works perfectly with the drivers side triangle windows- it keeps it at eye level and does not obstruct any view.

Old 07-25-2007, 11:37 AM
Owner of '06 HCH #7264

Originally Posted by honda4me
....but I was VERY disappointed in the "new" maps.
I hear you, the maps are the weak link to my GPS. I have a Lowrance iWAY 250C ($189 from Amazon) that uses Navteq maps and am Very happy with the GPS, but the maps are a different story. I have found and submitted 90 reports of discrepancies to Navteq in the couple of weeks I have owned the GPS. The same base map errors are on all the websites that use Navteq (Google maps, Google Earth, Yahoo...) so it is not just a old maps that Lowrance is shipping.

Navteq has a slick form that allows you to submit discrepancies (the form assigns a unique case number to each issue, allowing to you to track the status and targeted map release where the issue will be addressed). If the problems I notes are fixed in future updates, then the maps in my area will be much better in the future !!

Last edited by lkewin; 07-25-2007 at 11:42 AM. Reason: typo
Old 07-25-2007, 11:40 AM
Owner of '06 HCH #7264

Originally Posted by JavaJ
....It comes with a window mount that works perfectly with the drivers side triangle windows- it keeps it at eye level and does not obstruct any view.
Although I have a Lowrance iWAY 250C, I use the supplied suction window mount and is exactly where I placed mine and it works great. I put the suction mount on a couple of weeks ago and it has not come off once.

Old 03-16-2008, 09:00 PM
Active Enthusiast

Using Garmin Nuvi 250W here. I have it mounted in the console behind the shifter and it mostly works fine. Occasionally it takes a long time to get the first fix in the morning , so the signal strength is not optimal. This model has no external antenna so I am looking into reradiating antenna setup that uses external antenna to pick up signal, and then retransmits it to the unit. That got me thinking- can a non-Navi HCHII get a stock GPS antenna installed in a factory location of the NAvi model? The antenna seems to be pretty cheap, but is there a mounting spot for it in the regular HCHII and can one get to it without ripping the whole dash apart? DOes anybody know?

Old 03-17-2008, 12:05 AM
Active Enthusiast

I use my Sprint Mogul PPC (Pocket PC). It has built in GPS, the REAL GPS, not aGPS like all phone have. I use it with Google Maps

Old 03-17-2008, 08:21 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I use a Garmin Nuvi 250 and love it. H

Old 03-17-2008, 11:09 AM
Active Enthusiast

My two cents worth: I am hearing about all the GPS units that get stolen by meth addicts. I just didn't get around to buying a GPS, but recently changed to Verizon for my cell phone service, and we got a couple of Chocolates.

I am really happy with this phone. Besides being a decent phone and having movies and stills of my granddaughter, as well as lots of Mp3s, it has VZ Navigator. For the $10 extra I pay per month for internet access, Navigator is included.

Was recently on a trip to TX and it talked and mapped me quite well through relatively uncharted territory. You can set up locations in advance through their website (easier typing!), and I don't have to carry any extra hardware with me. It seems to work more easily and as reliably as any of the units I've rented when traveling.

So far, I don't have a bracket for my phone, so wind up keeping it on my seat. I've commented that it's not the first time I've been led around by something between my legs. (My wife agrees....)

Quick Reply: Aftermarket GPS questions

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands