HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

AC issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 02:59 PM
Enthusiast
Default AC issues

Been having a bit of AC issues. Not blowing cold, Cool but not cold. So I bot a can of freon and charged it. Showed good on my gauges but still only blows cool. Not near what it has blown since I have owned it....Any thoughts?

Old 06-27-2016, 06:02 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: AC issues

Originally Posted by Tresguey
Been having a bit of AC issues. Not blowing cold, Cool but not cold. So I bot a can of freon and charged it. Showed good on my gauges but still only blows cool. Not near what it has blown since I have owned it....Any thoughts?
You used straight R-134a without oil, dye or sealants?

How much did you add, what were your gauge readings, and what was the outside temp?

Old 06-28-2016, 06:23 AM
Enthusiast

I used R-134a that had oil in it but did not have any stop leak. I forget what the gauge actually said. I ran the car for 5 minutes wit AC on lowest setting and blower on the highest setting. My gauge was reading slightly low. I charged it until it read in the middle of the good(green) area of the gauge. Was I not supposed to use R-134a with oil?

Old 06-28-2016, 08:10 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I used R-134a that had oil in it but did not have any stop leak. I forget what the gauge actually said. I ran the car for 5 minutes wit AC on lowest setting and blower on the highest setting. My gauge was reading slightly low. I charged it until it read in the middle of the good(green) area of the gauge. Was I not supposed to use R-134a with oil?
No. Read the fine print on the can. It likely says not for use in hybrids.

The compressor is pulley AND electric drive. The oil must be insulating or you run the risk of shorting the windings or possibly damaging the insulation.

The severity of the issue is debateable, but the most appropriate course of action is to take it to the dealer for an evacuation and charge with the proper oil and refrigerant. Make sure you yell them what you did.

The oil is special and very expensive but cheap compared to replacing a compressor and flushing the system.

Old 06-28-2016, 03:40 PM
Active Enthusiast

Tresguey, I did the same thing as you. I have a 2006 HCHII with 35k miles. (Yes ultra low miles). AC was blowing not as cold as I wanted so I bought AC Pro from Walmart and put some into the "L" service port.

Then I read the service manual, got worried, and found a related post and got some advice there.
https://www.greenhybrid.com/forums/f...tml#post260058

In the end I did a evac and recharge at my dealership today (2016-06-28). They said that my levels were low when they got the car. They also said it was done exactly the way it should be done but when I asked if they used the correct fluids for a Hybrid they gave me a weird answer. They told me that the "A" part of R134A is what makes this the correct fluid for my car. So it is questionable as to whether everything was done perfectly or not at the dealership because their technical descriptions were a bit lacking.

At this point I would like to submit my car as the official guinea pig test car of potentially contaminated AC compressor oil. I didn't replace any components and I did not do a boiling flush. The dealership did not recommend replacing any components even though I stated numerous times that I have a contaminated system. The dealership did not charge me for any SE-10Y oil, so my assumption is that they did not add any.

Anyway, it certainly blows ice cold right now.

Last edited by gafortiby; 06-28-2016 at 04:09 PM.
Old 06-28-2016, 04:48 PM
Active Enthusiast

You might have over-charged it. it blows warm if overcharged as well. The AC system has a really narrow window of "optimal" charge. Something like 13oz min and 14oz max.