HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

2009 HCH - IMA Recalibration

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 03:22 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: 2009 HCH - IMA Recalibration

Originally Posted by Jess
The Samba is achieved by letting up on the gas so much so that you're not quite in EV Glide yet, but if you let up on it a fraction more, you will be. You're still burning gas, but not as much. Those that have Scangauges have shown mpgs from the 100s to 200mpgs when the iFCD is at 0. Once you nail how to do it, you can achieve it a will. I do it all the time on my commute and I try to use it when I don't have the opportunity to EV Glide. This is the next best thing. Just another one of those little characteristics of the car that help you achieve amazing mileage.

Jess
Hi Jess and everyone,

Many thanks for your tips. I will experiment with the car's Instantaneous Mileage Display to see how I can maximise on fuel economy.

Could someone please tell me what the acronyms "Samba" "EV" and "ICE" mean?

Last edited by Drive-A-Hybrid; 06-06-2009 at 03:44 PM. Reason: Add acronym words
Old 06-06-2009, 05:00 PM
Active Enthusiast

Hi Drive-a-hybrid,

"Samba" refers to the iFCD meter "dancing" from up and down from 100mpg to 0mpg, back up and back down.

"EV", is Electric Vehicle mode. In the case of the HCH II, when in EV Glide mode, the engine stops burning fuel and the car uses more power from the battery pack. This mode is recommended if you have 6, 7 or 8 bars of battery state of charge.

"ICE" is your Internal Combustion Engine.

Jess

Old 09-09-2010, 09:30 AM
Enthusiast

I picked up an '09 in June '10 just before the super heat hit the midwest, I had a reall hard time keeping the thing charged, I did open a rear window a bit and installed a solar window vent, This cooled the interior somewhat but also provided cooler air to the batteries via the vent at the top of the seat. I am sure the car sat at the dealer for a while (MONTHS) and I now rarely ever see less than 4 bars Nor does it recal like it was doing, I am a believer that interior temp as well as outdoor temp have major effects on the batteries, the affect all other batteries why would these be different. I do keep an eye on it and I have not had a recal in over 2 weeks and my mileage has shot up to 44, I'm happy!

Old 09-10-2010, 12:06 AM
Active Enthusiast

You brought my thread back from the dead! Glad you were able to get your recals under control.

I don't think there has ever been a time over the past 17 months of ownership when my car has recalibrated less often than once per week. Even last winter with very mild temperatures it was happening at least once every 2-3 days. It's steadily getting worse and now averaging about once per day, sometimes 2 or 3 times per day depending on how much I drive. I did some logging for a few weeks in August and it came out to about once every 12 miles. Leaving the windows partially rolled down when parked and always using a sun shade don't seem to make any difference. It is hot, but I still find this to be unacceptable and am trying to work with a local dealer to resolve it.

Old 09-14-2010, 08:37 AM
Active Enthusiast

My 2009 is a nightmare with 30k kms on it, had all the updates done and they seemed to fix it for about a week, now I am back to about 3 recals a day on my 70 km commute. It completely saps the economy I am struggling to get 5.0 L per 100 km, I used to get 4.1 L per 100 km in the first 8 months of ownership.

So disappointed i made this purchase, I loved it it though before this issue popped up. Love / Hate thing going on.