HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

2007 Civic Hybrid Loss of Power/Jerking

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 03:23 PM
Enthusiast
Default 2007 Civic Hybrid Loss of Power/Jerking

I've noticed that after I've let my 2007 Civic Hybrid sit for a while(til the engine cools) and then try to drive it, the car jerks and feels like it is losing power when I start off from a dead stop.
Its kind of like it feels like the engine is "chugging", "slipping", or another analogy might be it feels like there is air bubbles in the fuel line, sort of like the engine isn't getting constant fuel, despite my gas pedal being steady.
After driving for a while, this no longer happens and I get constant acceleration from every red light/dead stop.

Is this a problem with my car, or just something related to "warm-up" time for the engine or IMA?

Old 01-28-2010, 03:39 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 2007 Civic Hybrid Loss of Power/Jerking

That doesn't sound normal to me--my car is very smooth under power (although the idle is generally rough before it warms up).

On mine, starting out from a stop feels like the transmission is on valium for the first 15mph or so and then the engine RPMs ramp up and it feels more like a normal car. It's been doing this since they applied the transmission software upgrade. This happens regardless of the engine temp though so I don't think it's the same as what you are describing.

You have maintenance records right? How often was the CVT fluid changed? That should be done every 30k miles so you might be over due if it hasn't been done recently. Other than that, I don't know what might be causing the sensation you're describing. Did you buy from a Honda dealer or someone else?

Old 01-28-2010, 03:43 PM
Enthusiast

I bought from Ford Dealer, but I have all maintenance records and it was serviced at Honda dealership for the car's life before I got it. I bought it at 37k miles. I believe it was listed on the maintenance that he did transmission fluid. Beyond the carfax report I got on the car, I also had Ford and the local dealership pull their records on the car so I would know what was done after the Ford dealership took posession of it. It doesn't appear any maintenance was missed, and the engine "looked" extremely clean and tight. I think the previous owner treated it like his baby.

Last edited by CrimsonCivic; 01-28-2010 at 04:10 PM.
Old 01-28-2010, 05:56 PM
Active Enthusiast

I think I've experienced that before, but haven't thought anything of it. It happens so infrequently, I guess. Do you find this happens every single time it cools off?

I wonder what kind of oil is in there too? I would hope 0w/20. I wonder if this could be adding to it?

Jess

Old 01-28-2010, 06:46 PM
Enthusiast

I should have been more specific. NO, it doesn't happen everytime I start from a dead stop, nor does it happen at every red light.
I noticed it happening when I am pulling out of parking lots with a steep-grade curb. Not so much at red lights. I believe I should have clarified the indications of the issue. At red lights, it happens not so much at a dead stop, but when slowing down and then giving the car gas before Auto-stop kicks in fully. So the red light part of the loss of power might be the CVT trying to turn off the engine for auto-stop at the same time I am releasing the brake to start the engine again.(A hiccup of sorts)
The curb part is strange though. So I come off the curb and feel my back wheels bounce off the curb onto the pavement, but then when I give it gas, the engine shows the loss of power/jerking issue. At the next red light thereafter, the symptoms don't return. Any ideas now?

Old 01-28-2010, 07:13 PM
Active Enthusiast

My driveway is a steep grade too and I recall it doing just that at times in the morning when I pull out. I park right at the top, so I don't have to climb it. And yes I know exactly what you're speaking of when you slow down and Auto Stop just about happens and then you give it gas and it jerks or bucks.

I think it's normal.

Old 01-28-2010, 07:15 PM
Enthusiast

Jess, even coming just off a parking lot curb, and thereafter having the loss of power once all 4 wheels are firmly on flat pavement? It sounds like something is getting rattled or affected by the bounce of coming off the curb.

Old 01-28-2010, 07:21 PM
Active Enthusiast

Hmm.. I see. If it were me, I would take it in and have the dealer give it a look over. Just to set my mind at ease. (and then let us know if they found anything)

Old 01-30-2010, 06:43 AM
2nd Hybrid Owner

Not using 0W20 oil can give it a funny out of power from a dead stop.

I saw one Civic Hybrid that the guy went for a $9.95 oil change at a Dodge Dealer - they put in 10W30 - the poor civic drove like the parking brake was on til it got warmed up. Killed his gas mileage as his commute was 5 miles and the engine never got warmed up.

Old 01-30-2010, 10:06 AM
Enthusiast

Yeah, I checked with the Honda dealership that did the oil change for Ford before I bought it, and they said it shows to be the proper Hybrid oil in their computer system. 0W20. I put 93 octane Shell in it, and maybe the higher octane is part of the issue. Also, I noticed the engine shifts into a low gear when driving at less than 20MPH or when the foot is off the gas pedal. It could be the CVT adjusting to switching from lower gears back into high, and such is causing the jerkiness. The Honda tech today at the dealership asked me what the RPMs are doing. I told him the RPMs are steadily rising when I push the gas and the car is accelerating. It just feels like the tires are slipping or the car is jerking. Heck, it could be these BF Goodrich Touring tires slipping, but they have plenty of tread.

Quick Reply: 2007 Civic Hybrid Loss of Power/Jerking

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands