HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

10mph slower "shows" a huge difference

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 02:39 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 10mph slower "shows" a huge difference

Originally Posted by Harold
There is a minimum speed you can travel on most freeways so if your at that or slightly above why worry what everyone else is doing? Here in my area the minimum is 45 mph or about 70 KPH on freeways. So slow down and enjoy yourself and stop bing a follower! Run with your flashers on if your worried about someone running into your tail. Cheers, Hal
Hal,
Here in Toronto the limit is 100KM/hr and most drive 120KM/hr. I guess Toronto got all the craizes of Canada. No worries I am happy with my mileage just would love to slow down and get 50MPG just once to know that the car can do it. I got my software updated but noticed a problem now with my Fuel consumption gage. At idle it is reading zero and it should read max. My wife is arguing with me and said that it is correct. I am sure I noticed the fuel consumption was max at idle...is it not? I have to send it back to the dealer after the holidays.

Old 12-24-2009, 02:57 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mendel Leisk
The speed limit is 100 km/hr, you're going 110-120, but you're not speeding?

And if someone in front of you is going 100 km/hr, how do you react?
If you ever come to Toronto and drive on the 401 you would see what I mean. When everyone including the trucks are going 100 to 120KH/hr it is difficult to slow down. Breaking the speed limit is the norm (not enforced). I also find the going at 100km/hr will not give you good mileage anyways.

Old 12-24-2009, 03:31 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hi Winston
Yes my HCH reads zero fuel at idle. Hal

Old 12-24-2009, 03:45 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Harold
Hi Winston
Yes my HCH reads zero fuel at idle. Hal
Hi Hal,
Thanks for letting me know. Then mine is normal and no need to go to the dealer after Xmas. My mileage is still around 6.3-6.5 L/100km on third tank of gas now. Last tank I got 540Km. I guess this would be my normal 6.5 L/100KM and I am not going to try anything else as my driving is a lot of short stops and city driving in this cold weather. everything is against me getting better so I am going to enjoy the car and the sound system. Have a Merry Christmas. Cheers

Old 12-24-2009, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by linx3566
If you ever come to Toronto and drive on the 401 you would see what I mean. When everyone including the trucks are going 100 to 120KH/hr it is difficult to slow down. Breaking the speed limit is the norm (not enforced). I also find the going at 100km/hr will not give you good mileage anyways.
I can sympathise with your point of view, and I've been to Toronto a few times, and driven the 401. At least I think I did, that's the main drag, right? My job was to tail my son-in-law, he lead, I followed

Still, I wouldn't say the mentality is that much different than Van, in short, there are aggressive speeders in both locals.

All I know is breaking that pattern, slowing down, staying under the max., and slower in adverse conditions, starts on a personal level. Sorry, but I just don't buy "the pack is speeding, what can I do". Excess speed, agressive acceleration and general impatience are burning a lot of gas. Why not stay to the right and start a trend of staying under the limit.

That mix of speed and impatience also occasionally get's people killed: In Van we have a leftmost carpool lane (a brilliant idea...) on the main drag, 2 occupants per vehicle mininum, all the way out to the bridge over to Surrey. About six months back a minivan with a family stalled in that lane. Two single occupant vehicles travelling at high speed eventually plowed into them. Two pre-school aged boys died in that one.

Last edited by Mendel Leisk; 12-24-2009 at 04:30 PM.
Old 12-24-2009, 04:55 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mendel Leisk
I can sympathise with your point of view, and I've been to Toronto a few times, and driven the 401. At least I think I did, that's the main drag, right? My job was to tail my son-in-law, he lead, I followed

Still, I wouldn't say the mentality is that much different than Van, in short, there are aggressive speeders in both locals.

All I know is breaking that pattern, slowing down, staying under the max., and slower in adverse conditions, starts on a personal level. Sorry, but I just don't buy "the pack is speeding, what can I do". Excess speed, agressive acceleration and general impatience are burning a lot of gas. Why not stay to the right and start a trend of staying under the limit.

That mix of speed and impatience also occasionally get's people killed: In Van we have a leftmost carpool lane (a brilliant idea...) on the main drag, 2 occupants per vehicle mininum, all the way out to the bridge over to Surrey. About six months back a minivan with a family stalled in that lane. Two single occupant vehicles travelling at high speed eventually plowed into them. Two pre-school aged boys died in that one.

Sad but your are right...speed kills. I am not a speeder and try to drive slower but sometimes it is unavoidable especially on roads like the 401. Part of my daily commute unfortunately is on the 401 and I usually go about 90 to 100KM/Hr unless someone like a 18 wheeler start to tail me. Sometime it is a bit intimidating and you just speed up. Just the nature of things. I currently get 36 MPG and I bought the car used from a Honda dealer 6 days ago so learning. I hope it is my driving and route that is giving me this kinda mileage and that there is nothing wrong with the Car. My main concern hence on this forum. Cheers. Merry Xmas

Old 12-24-2009, 05:01 PM

Yeah, cheers, and all the best. I'm getting too dour, I know.