HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

100,000 mile report - 2006 HCHII

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 06:36 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 100,000 mile report - 2006 HCHII

I'm also going to search for someone else to elevate this to. I'm tired of answering the same questions at dealership over and over again. Questions like, "has this ever happened before?" "does it re-charge after it crashes?" ughhh, I shouldn't have to explain over and over. At least they got to see it with their own eyes.

Trade this car in for something different. Life to too short to put up with this annoyance. If you really like this dealer, like you said in your 1st post buy something new from them.

Old 03-04-2010, 10:10 AM
Enthusiast

Picked up car this morning...

In summary, Honda won't do anything without the IMA light / error code coming on. The tech and the service manager both feel (as do I) that the battery is on it's last leg. I did call Honda corporate and opened a claim for them to investigate the mannar.

Service manager said not to worry if I exceed my warranty mileage (I'm at 100k, ext. warranty is to 120k). He insisted that Honda is working to correct cases like mine, and that with my history of loyalty to the dealorship (two Hondas - all service done there) he would definately "take care of me".

So, now I'm just hoping for an IMA light to come on...

By the way, I had two re-cals during the 40 mile drive to work from the dealer.

Old 03-04-2010, 03:11 PM
Think green.

Good luck to you.

I have a question I've been wondering about as I read all the posts about re-cals. Maybe someone who has had both a first-generation HCH and a HCHII might know this. Does the first-gen HCH have the same habit of doing re-cals? I've never seen my car do this.

Old 03-04-2010, 05:00 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Don't feel bad Gairwyn, I haven't either. Hal

Old 03-04-2010, 05:14 PM
Think green.

Ha, I don't feel bad.
I feel like I should "knock on wood".

Old 03-04-2010, 08:13 PM
Enthusiast

Likewise my 2006 HCH with around 25K now recals everytime I drive it. I am still averaging around 44MPG but when a recal happens when trying to merge on to the freeway the lack of assist can make for a dicey situation. All my previous Hondas were great but I am starting to think that I made a serious mistake purchasing this car.

Will ask the dealer at the next service to run a diagnostic to see if there are any error codes. All was good until the recals started. Now I have serious doubts and it looks like I am not alone.

Old 03-04-2010, 09:00 PM

I agree that these recal things must be a pain in the butt and Honda should have solved this issue by now! I really think the problem is miss-matched cells in the Pack and Honda should correct the problem. They are avoiding the issue and they are sitting there wondering why people won't buy this car, weird!.
Cheers,
Hal

Old 03-05-2010, 07:18 AM

*Internet Speculation based on personal experiences and following other people's recal problems online*

I think there may be more than one problem going on with frequent recals because the behavior that Family Man is experiencing is different than what I experienced. His seems very predictable that it happens soon after start up (correct me if I'm wrong here). That sounds like a short somewhere that causes the battery to drain while the car sits, and then the car "realizes" that the charge is lower than it thought it was upon shut off so it recals.

In my case, I think I have a few cells that aren't as balanced as the others. They give off their charge more quickly and I'm assuming they heat up or throw some other sort of warning. At that point, the system realizes it's out of balance and recals.

The TSB-058 changed the way the BCM manages the pack, and I suspect that the tolerance level for whatever condition that forces recals was raised. I notice "soft recals" where the car drops from 4-5 bars down to 3 in a short time, but "hard recals" like I was having before have been greatly diminished--I've only had 3 in the last 4 months vs. every other day before. However, if my pack isn't balanced well, I'm guessing that those cells are still have different charge/discharge rates, and that they will eventually have problems. I just hope that if (when) it has problems, that I'm under my 100k warranty still.

Old 03-05-2010, 09:17 AM
Active Enthusiast

Likewise my 2006 HCH with around 25K now recals everytime I drive it. I am still averaging around 44MPG but when a recal happens when trying to merge on to the freeway the lack of assist can make for a dicey situation.

I feel for you as I have been in this situation as well. With the gas pedal matted and the gas engine roaring at 6000 rpm all I could manage was to craw out of a near collision. I think what the solution is to put the transmission into S

All my previous Hondas were great but I am starting to think that I made a serious mistake purchasing this car.

I know I did. I talked to a guy on cleanmpg called msantos who is very knowledgeable on the HCH. After discussing the problems with my car he said I am not getting the value I paid for the car. In other words its a lemon.

Will ask the dealer at the next service to run a diagnostic to see if there are any error codes. All was good until the recals started. Now I have serious doubts and it looks like I am not alone.

Hopefully they will address your issues. My dealer will not even though the car is still under warranty. All I can do now is trade my car for something else other than a honda. I pity whoever buys the car, but I have a clear conscience as I have the dealer work orders which say "all is ok".

Old 03-05-2010, 09:47 AM

Good luck with the trade in as no one will give you much for your HCH2. To many problems similar to what this thread is talking about I was at my Dealer yesterday in Victoria and they don't even have the 2010 HCH in stock. They are still trying to move the 2009 models. I wounder when the HCH3 will appear if ever?
Cheers,
Hal

Quick Reply: 100,000 mile report - 2006 HCHII

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands