HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

$10 alloy wheels on discount tires site! OMG

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 10:36 AM
Enthusiast
Smile $10 alloy wheels on discount tires site! OMG

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...w=6&bp=5-114.3

Yes, $10 wheels for our hybrid. 5X114.3 size 15X6 OEM wheel size. You have to search for them by wheel size not by car because they aren't linked to our model on the site. I just ordered a set with Hankook k407 195/65/15 tires and the total is 192.00 shipped, no tax, mounted/balanced. This is the only size left, I checked for 16's and 17's and they're out. Remember to remove the valve stems and mounting kit, as well as the tire certificates(roadhazard protection) from the shopping cart. They will come with valve stems anyway when they mount them, and you can use your OEM Lugs.

They're not half bad looking. I have 16k miles on my '07 civic hyrid right now but figured I'd get these anyway for the price. They're not the lightweight 17's I wanted that I have on my other '07 civic ex, but those were $200 a wheel also!

Check em out and let me know what you think.

Dave

Old 01-15-2008, 11:03 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: $10 alloy wheels on discount tires site! OMG

thanks for the heads up...i'm going to look more into it tonight when i get home from work for the day....i'm not sure about those really cheap tires, but the rims are definitely a good deal.

Old 01-15-2008, 11:13 AM
Enthusiast

I used to manage a Winston Tire Store 7-8 years ago, and I owned Tire machines until last year. Hankook makes great tires and I've mounted many sets for friends and have gotten great feedback. I mounted Hankook Autocross Slicks on a ford Focus SVT and the Driver got FTD (fastest time of Day) beating out multiple STI's and EVO's and nearly 100 other performance cars. They're definately capable tires. The particular tires I got happen to be an all season, quiet looking tread design by looking at the tread pattern. Also the cheapest =). I've mounted the Falken ziex 512's and they were disappointing. Very Rapid tread wear despite rating very high on Consumer reports tire testing a couple years ago.

I would stay away from Nankang and Barum tires that Discount tire sells. And, the BFG and GoodYear brands are way overpriced due to their gi-normous marketing campaigns. Michelins are good but no better in many cases than the Kuhmos or Hankooks.

Old 01-15-2008, 01:04 PM
Active Enthusiast

Good deal on the rims for sure.

FWIW,

I DO OWN The Barums and have about 15k on em now and they look like new.They handle very well and get great mpg on my o2 Prius. I would not avoid these tires at all.

Old 01-15-2008, 01:14 PM
Enthusiast

Yeah, it's not that the Barums are evil or anything, and they certainly work. I just find that tire companies like Barum, Nankang or other bdget manufacturers have more issues with tire separation/defects. Therefore I tend to recommend against them when there is a similar priced alternative.

People on the www.8thcivic.com are going crazy buying these wheels!

Old 01-15-2008, 03:36 PM
Active Enthusiast

I just went and followed your lead on them. I probably won't get them in time for my little trip on Friday to Dirty Jersey, but I'll put them on when they arrive. Not a bad price, and definitely will be easier to handle than those darn hybrid rims that you can't grab anywhere!

Old 01-15-2008, 03:51 PM
Enthusiast

Just so you know, some people on the 8tthcivic.com forum got a message back from Discount tire saying the pricing was a mistake and sorry for the inconvenience and that their card won't be charged and that the price is supposed to be $100.00. My order, and at least one other however is shipping. Maybe due to the fact that we got in early before people started ordering 12 and 24 wheels at a time. I already have tracking numbers showing the weight as 40 lbs. Same weight as a wheel and tire should be. Keep an eye on your email inbox though and keep us posted on what they say!

Dave

Old 01-15-2008, 04:26 PM
Active Enthusiast

i got an email stating the price was incorrect. I'm guessing they aren't going to fulfill the order. Apparently they are supposed to be $100 each, which I won't pay obviously. I told them to cancel my order at that price!

Old 01-17-2008, 07:17 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Tirerack has several wheels in the $68-$69 dollar range. I know that's not $10, but its cheap and it's no mistake.

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/resul...&filterNew=All