HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

07 HCHII - Can't remember IMA/Engine Light Codes?... And Constant Recals!

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 08:52 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 07 HCHII - Can't remember IMA/Engine Light Codes?... And Constant Recals!

AJR- I had the exact same phenomenon happen to my '09 over the past few days. Been putting up with recals since I took delivery of the car. Local dealer installed software updates in August this year, which didn't really do anything. Recals have steadily become more frequent and now happen multiple times per day- usually once per drive. IMA and check engine lights finally come on for the first time on Saturday (11/6). Next time I started the car, the IMA light went out- just the check engine light remained. Light stayed on all day Sunday and Monday morning, but went out in the evening. Car seems to think that all is OK now, even though the IMA system still performs as usual...tons of recals. No difference at all in performance when the lights were on either. Also getting about 45 MPG city, which surprises me.

Thankfully I didn't call the dealer and arrange for an appointment this week to check out the OBD codes, since I'm sure they're not there anymore like you experienced. Wish I had an OBD reader to see what they were for curiosity's sake. I will be taking the car in for B1 service in about a month and will push them to look into the IMA problems.

Old 11-09-2010, 08:09 AM
mpk
Enthusiast
Default Re: 07 HCHII - Can't remember IMA/Engine Light Codes?... And Constant Recals!

That is shocking that a HCH2 in the recal dungeon can still have mpg in the forties. Mine is now in the 30's, and a couple of times in the high 20's

Still waiting to see what the Feds say about this. I guess any investigation is going to take a long time...

Old 11-09-2010, 08:44 AM
Enthusiast

I have an '09 with 45,000 miles. I had a '06 I traded in at 93,000 miles with no problems. The '09 recalls so much the gauge looks like a yoyo.
In the past two weeks the IMA and Check Engine Light have come on. Both times when I turned the car off the next time I started it the IMA light was off but the check engine light was still on. In about a day it turned off too. I have the car at the dealer today to see what the heck is going on. At about 38,000 both lights came on and stayed on. Error code was a deteriorating module. All they did was the software update and *****ed about the car stereo amp I have installed. Will see what happens this time. Getting fed up.

Attached Thumbnails 07 HCHII - Can't remember IMA/Engine Light Codes?... And Constant Recals!-photo.jpg  
Old 11-09-2010, 12:18 PM
Enthusiast

Honda dealer called and Honda Tech Line told them to replace the IMA battery. Suppose to be in Friday and installed early next week. Will see how it goes. Keeping my fingers crossed it fixes it.

Old 11-09-2010, 04:24 PM
Active Enthusiast

Glad to hear that American Honda authorized the battery replacement. To be clear: the IMA and Check Engine lights were off at the time you brought it to the dealer, correct? Did you show them your photo of the dash?

Old 11-10-2010, 05:31 AM
Enthusiast

Yes, both lights were off when I brought the car in this time. The service advisor said the computer still had the codes it set. They hooked up a laptop to the car and drove it and saw all the same problems.

Old 11-16-2010, 07:31 PM
Enthusiast

The dealer installed the new IMA battery today. Guage never dropped below five
bars all the way home. Has not done that since I bought the car. Will drive a week then post hopefully a good update.

Last edited by armstjr; 11-16-2010 at 07:33 PM.
Old 11-17-2010, 01:43 PM
mpk
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by armstjr
The dealer installed the new IMA battery today.
On the service invoice, does it say "REMAN" anywhere, particularly about the battery?

Old 11-17-2010, 01:48 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I believe Honda only installs new packs? H

Old 11-20-2010, 01:15 PM
Active Enthusiast

Not so sure about that- according to the chart here from Hybrid-Battery-Repair, they use refurbished packs: http://www.hybrid-battery-repair.com/hch/index.html

I'm guessing it's possible they will use a new one since armstjr's car and IMA battery are young. My dealer just ordered a replacement battery for my '09/13k mile HCH and I'll be very interested to see if it is new or refurbished and what the warranty will be. It should keep the same original 8 year/80k warranty since this is so early.