HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

06 HCH navigation quirk?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 12:02 PM
Enthusiast
Default 06 HCH navigation quirk?

While away on business I'm staying at a new apartment complex that construction was just completed on. Needless to say, the place isn't in the navs address book. I pulled up to my apt. and tried to save the location in my address book but couldn't because I was "not on a digitized road". I tried everthing, including changing the tracking options to track off-road. That finally allowed me to save a location but the address appears to have reverted to an address thats actually about 1/4 mile away. Appears that was the closest address on the DVD to the actual location I was trying to save. I say this because when I drove to the address the unit saved I ended up at an old house on some side street on the other side of the complex. I could see my apt building though the woods but had to be a few hundred yards away. Question is how can you (or can you) save a waypoint based on gps coordinates alone when no address is available? I have a Garmin in another car that can save waypoints with no address. When navigating to such a waypoint it will get you as close as it can until the road disappears. Usually by that point you can see it on the display so you can continue to work your way towards it. Any thoughts?

Old 09-11-2006, 12:35 PM
Technology Junkie
Default Re: 06 HCH navigation quirk?

You can save current location by tapping finger on the crosshair on your navi screen. It will bring up a menu with the exact GPS coordinates for you to edit before saving to your address book. This feature is documented in your navi manual. Unfortunately, I don't remember the exact page.

Last edited by Gobbles; 09-12-2006 at 12:08 PM.
Old 09-11-2006, 01:01 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I have not tried this on a non-digitized road yet so I can't confirm if it works. I have tried this on normal roads and it works just fine even if the address is sometimes off by 100 when in a neighborhood but, as the book says, it gets you to the block of houses and not necessarily the exact house itself.

You can also try using the Map Input feature and when you find the area on the map (by zooming/scrolling) and then push the joystick in for the address and then again to save it. Give it a try in your area and see if that also works.

I'm referencing a similar Nav post about the startup screen image. I've successfully changed it to my alma mater (Penn State logo) but after their less-than-triumphant start to the season I wanted to change it to something else. I can't get ANY other image to work correctlty on the startup screen except the OE logo. If anyone has tips/hints that I have not tried I would be more than glad to hear them.

Old 09-12-2006, 06:21 AM
Enthusiast

Tried that but it didn't work. When you touch the crosshair you can access the save address menu but no physical street address will appear on the address line because you not on a road with a valid address (guess that's what "not on a digitized road" means). You can't edit the address line either so the system won't let you save the location.

Old 09-12-2006, 11:24 AM
Technology Junkie

It is true that you can not edit the street address line. But you can save the uncharted location. I saved the actual GPS location of my parking spot in my address book (which is in a private uncharted community). I edited the name field to identify the actual location. So you can save this location as "Joe's Apt. - 30 Boondock Dr". It's better than waiting 3 years for a DVD map update.

Old 09-12-2006, 07:10 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

And I was able to try this also today as I was in a non-digitized area. It was on a paved road (a dotted line road) so at least it knew it was a road though not the name of it. When I pushed on the crosshairs it showed the GPS location and altitude. Maybe this is do to a prior version of the DVD? Mine is "v6.11c" I think or maybe if it is in an area where you can only see 2 satellites then it might not work as well as seeing 6 satellites.

If you don't know of this hidden screen then push the Map+Menu+Cancel button for about 5 seconds and then push the "GPS Information" button in the upper-right. This will show you the current speed of the car, altitude, GPS location, and a view of all the satellites in the sky and which ones have been attained and which ones are being tracked. Great screen if you want to see elevation changes on roads and don't want to have to keep tapping the screen to see the answer - the result is a little behind sometimes but it is fun to watch nonetheless.

Old 09-13-2006, 06:38 AM
Technology Junkie

I drove out to the outer parts of a new development & tried to add locations for several points in this community.

I discovered the following:
- Non-digitized roads did not appear on map grid but were known to the GPS.
These locations can be saved in the address book. Address line can not be
edited.
- No address! condition. These locations (streets, roads) are not known to the
GPS and cannot be saved.

So if you are unfortunate enough to live in an area that the GPS reports as "No address" then you will not be able to add that location to your address book.

Old 09-13-2006, 08:38 AM
Enthusiast

Yes, it is the "no address" condition that I ran into. I did find a way to save but it involved turning on the off-road tracking first. Then I was able to save but it didn't save my exact location based on actual GPS coordinates, instead it saved based on the nearest known address on the DVD. This put me about 1/4 mi away from where I wanted to be but was good enough to get back to the general area. I don't see why the nav can't save based on longitude and latitude alone. I think needing a valid address based on outdated DVD data is a definite design flaw. I say this because I have used several different Garmin units and all of them saved locations based on coordinates and not map data alone.

I'll try the Map+Menu+Cancel button thing. I was wondering why the unit didn't show satellite tracking and ground speed.

Old 09-15-2006, 08:44 AM
Active Enthusiast

Holding Map+Menu+Cancel for 5 secs is a great feature. Had no idea about this one. U can view the satellites as well as other configuation featuers. Although, i havent seen speed within any of these menus(I do see altitute). Theres also a screen that shows the position of the sun. These might be useless, but I show ppl it nonetheless.