HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

rear shock strut parts

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 08:33 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default rear shock strut parts

Hi,

wonder if someone have change the rear shock of the honda civic 2003 hybrid themself?

I want to know if someone have buy a third party brand? I call my local dealer and he said that the shock of the hybrid is different than the normal version. when browsing in car parts web site, they only have one model.

I don't know it will really fit. like KYB part for the hybrid or the napa.

someone have a insight about that?

Old 11-15-2012, 11:47 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: rear shock strut parts

My '04 is in need of replacing too, and like was told there are different parts. But a search on http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php reveals that they are also the same parts.

I was told last month that the HVAC blower was different, but got the regular one and it works with no issue at all. Looks exactly identical.

Old 11-16-2012, 04:01 AM
Active Enthusiast

thanks, i didn't do the job yet. i was thinking of getting a used one in scrap yard... 50$ each.

Old 11-16-2012, 04:06 AM
Active Enthusiast

hi what band di you choose? there one in the link you provided that it's only 29$

Old 11-16-2012, 06:21 AM
Active Enthusiast

Never heard of 'Sensen' brand, but you can't go wrong with the Monroe or KYB they have listed. I haven't bought them yet, but was probably going to get the Monroe strut with spring and top mount assembled. It's not that much more, and includes the already assembled parts which would knock a few hours off of a DIYer's weekend. Bolt off/bolt on; no need to mess with a spring compressor..

I wouldn't ever use a used shock/strut unless I knew the car it was coming from. Shocks have seals inside them that wear out, so a used shock is going to be worn too. Why replace a worn part with a slightly less worn part when a brand new one is just a little more?

Part of me is thinking about spending even more and going with a fully adjustable setup. Would allow me to lower the car a little and get better aero, as well as stiffen up the shocks to get better handling. I've taken my HighBread to the track before and for an econo-box, it already handles remarkably well. Although 1 lap around VIR depleted the battery and had to run the rest of the session on just gas, netting me 22mpg overall which is a lot better than my 11mpg of the Miata on track. I just can't justify spending $1200+ when the car will barely see the track again... And I'm thinking about getting a plug-in Fusion next year... Maybe I'll spend the extra money on the actual race car, lol.

Last edited by MiaTurbo; 11-16-2012 at 06:28 AM.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:29 AM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks for the advice, need it someone to convince me....

thank you again.

Old 10-13-2019, 12:52 PM
Enthusiast

Bolt on bolt off indeed, except some jerk put a giant battery in the way of getting to the bolts on the top. Looking to me like j might need to get the hybrid battery out of the way unless these are only one bolt at the top. Or can you get that from inside the passenger cab?

Originally Posted by MiaTurbo
Never heard of 'Sensen' brand, but you can't go wrong with the Monroe or KYB they have listed. I haven't bought them yet, but was probably going to get the Monroe strut with spring and top mount assembled. It's not that much more, and includes the already assembled parts which would knock a few hours off of a DIYer's weekend. Bolt off/bolt on; no need to mess with a spring compressor..

I wouldn't ever use a used shock/strut unless I knew the car it was coming from. Shocks have seals inside them that wear out, so a used shock is going to be worn too. Why replace a worn part with a slightly less worn part when a brand new one is just a little more?

Part of me is thinking about spending even more and going with a fully adjustable setup. Would allow me to lower the car a little and get better aero, as well as stiffen up the shocks to get better handling. I've taken my HighBread to the track before and for an econo-box, it already handles remarkably well. Although 1 lap around VIR depleted the battery and had to run the rest of the session on just gas, netting me 22mpg overall which is a lot better than my 11mpg of the Miata on track. I just can't justify spending $1200+ when the car will barely see the track again... And I'm thinking about getting a plug-in Fusion next year... Maybe I'll spend the extra money on the actual race car, lol.

Old 05-25-2022, 05:12 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fanfaron
thanks, i didn't do the job yet. i was thinking of getting a used one in scrap yard... 50$ each.

That's a wonderful idea, get one from the junk car or scrap removal company. I think you'll get it for under $50.